help!!!insurance, liability-yikes

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
elliebellie

help!!!insurance, liability-yikes

Postby elliebellie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:00 pm

I am doing like i was told and having 3 different moving companies give a free estimate for our local move in nj, storage for 10-12 months and then final move to phoenix area in arizona. Here's the question: i was told that the moving company is only liable for the goods they pack, even though i will be taking out additional insurance for the storage and for the final move to arizona.
Another company said that if i take out the extra liability insurance everything is covered replacement value if i pack it or they pack it. Does this vary from company to company? What should i specifically be asking for with this insurance and they pack, i pack situation. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Re: help!!!insurance, liability-yikes

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:15 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:50 pm

also in the mix is the length of time your goods will be in storage... 10 to 12 months means it will be picked up and stored under the local agents authority and will then change to the vanlines authority when its loaded for transport to arizona..(which just so happens to be where i unloaded today and the weather is perfect...) which can cause some he said she said problems on delivery dates and damage responsibility if any occurs.....

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:51 pm

With valuation election of full value replacement coverage the movers are not liable for damage to items inside cartons that the customer has packed themselves - unless there is visible external damage to the carton and that an inspection proves was packed appropriately and that the carton is still available to be inspected. However, the carton is covered if it was lost or stolen. Then there is the whole issue of the value of the items that was inside the carton.

If you really want the protection that full value valuation offers, I strongly recommend letting the movers perform the packing or at least the packing of the fragile and high value pieces. If cost is a big factor, I advise my customers to consider a partial pack with them taking care of the books, clothes, linens, etc. and have the professionals pack the electronics, china, crystal, collectibles, art, etc.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Return to “Open Community”