**Advice for move from Austin to Orange County, CA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LoriofCA123

**Advice for move from Austin to Orange County, CA?

Postby LoriofCA123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi all....

I had an absolutely terrible experience with Legacy Van Lines Inc. (based in San Diego CA) when I moved to Austin from CA in 2009. I'll be doing a SELF-PAID move back to CA in March, and I'd like to avoid repeating my last experience. Nothing in the boxes I packed broke, but they broke a ton of my furniture, lamps, etc. I filed complaints with the BBB and FMSCA --zero when I hired them--, plus a direct claim with Legacy. They never even responded. Nothing. I asked about their arbitration info, and they refused to give me any information. Really ridiculous. They wouldn't even give me a settlement quote for the .60 per lb rate. Crazy! I was going to file a lawsuit until I noticed their phone number was disconnected, their license was pulled from the FMSCA, and that I'd have to file in CA per the contract I signed. So.....nada.

I see that many people like AFB and Pods. Are there any major differences between the two, things I can't find out about from their website?

My concern with using a you-pack, we-drive service is the loading portion. Of course I can hire guys to take all my stuff down to the truck, but can I hire someone to direct the loading? Or is that a liability issue? Packing my own boxes is no problem, and even loading those would be fine.....but the furniture, yikes. I have a 250 lb rubberwood low entertainment center that I *love*, and Legacy bent the modern metal base on it. I can't imagine trying to direct someone on where to place it. A lot of my furniture is pretty heavy: I have a huge modern sectional, ottoman, bookshelves, etc. I have a queen platform bed from Crate and Barrel that I have no idea how to take apart. It really looks like the headboard is completely attached to the rails, I've looked hard when I turn my mattress every few months.

Also, how much does it cost for the supplies? Bubble wrap, blankets, foam, rope, etc. I have boxes, tape, and some bubble wrap. I'm a good packer. I have a 2bd place....when I moved here they charged me for 9 ft of truck space. I can't recall their estimated weight and (unfortunately) they didn't go by that. I don't want to rehash it again anyhow, but just to give you an idea of how much I need to load up.

It's just me here in Austin, alone, and I'm nervous. Nervous whether I hire full-services movers OR use u-pack. Scared to hire workers to move my furniture and knock it against things. **Sniff** I don't know how anyone moves over and over. :oops: I know I need to suck it up, be brave, so I'm here, asking HELP!

I'd like to store my things for about 2 weeks while I find a place there. I got a quote from Moovers over the phone. Anthony Campbell told me they don't have a person in my area to do an in-home quote. I'm inclined to believe him, but just to be sure, is that normal? The quote he gave me is below (are we allowed to post this info?). Hmmm...I wish I could attach an image. Since I won't be needing the packing, about $1500 can be deducted. What is the 30% discount? I read somewhere that a discount is usually around 50%, but I have no idea what that's based on, who is eligible, or why there is a discount at all. Why don't they just quote one rate, no discounts? It's another language to me.

I've learned some from reading many boards over the past year, and I understand that no one can tell me exactly what to do. I feel stuck. You all seem to know so much; I would love to get your advice.

Thanks in advance!

TRANSPORTATION (8,900 LB, 1324 Miles)

Transportation (3) 8900 x 5680.27 - 30% = 3976.19
IR Surcharge 4.00% - 30% = 159.05
Fuel Surcharge 9.00% - 30% = 357.86
Origin Fee Origin 8900 x 1.86/100 - 30% = 115.88
Destination Fee Dest 8900 x 3.20/100 - 30% = 199.36
$4804.34

CUSTOMER'S DECLARATION OF VALUE ($50,000)

FULL VALUE COVERAGE
1. 0000 ded = $464
2. $250 ded = $244
3. $500 ded = $208

CARTONS, PACKING & UNPACKING
Full Packing Origin (3) 8900 x 27.68/100 - 40% = 1478.11

MISC SERVICES
Up to 2 weeks St Origin $200

TOTAL BINDING QUOTE NOT TO EXCEED COST $6950.45

The shipment will be weighed and the charges for service will be based on the actual weight and services performed less the specified discount or $6050.45; whichever is less.

We have reviewed with you (the customer) those services that may be requested by you or required to service your move while en route or at destination. While you indicate that to the best of your knowledge no such services are required at this time, in order to provide you with an estimate of what the cost may be of certain services, listed below are potential services and charges should they be required to accomplish delivery or be requested by you. These services and their costs are based upon the tariff issued in accordance with the regulations of the Surface Transportation Board of the Dept of Transp.

SERVICE DESCRIPTION

AUXILIARY SERVICE/SHUTTLE (Flat Charge Weight Based) $783.30
EXTRA STOPS (per stop) $ 42.13
Self-Storage / MiniStorage Delivery (Flat Charge Weight Based) $146.30
Waiting time (per hour * per vehicle) & (per hour * per man) $ 25.91
Debris pickup $123.12

1st DAY STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT (per CWT) $ 4.70
EACH ADDITIONAL DAY STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT (per cwt * per day) 0.17
DELIVERY OUT OF STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT (Flat Charge Weight Based) $ 1113.70

Diane

Re: Advice for move from Austin to Orange County, CA?

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:42 pm

I got a quote from Moovers over the phone. Anthony Campbell told me they don't have a person in my area to do an in-home quote. I'm inclined to believe him, but just to be sure, is that normal? The quote he gave me is below (are we allowed to post this info?). Hmmm...I wish I could attach an image. Since I won't be needing the packing, about $1500 can be deducted. What is the 30% discount? I read somewhere that a discount is usually around 50%, but I have no idea what that's based on, who is eligible, or why there is a discount at all. Why don't they just quote one rate, no discounts?
Hi, Lori. Sorry to hear about your previous bad experience.

Moovers can't do an in-home estimate in your area because they have offices only in California and New Jersey. However, if you read their reviews you'll see that many, many people have used them and have not paid more than the Guaranteed Not to Exceed price that Moovers has quoted, and many have paid less if their weight was less. We have followed their reviews long enough that we can say with confidence that you will be safe with Moovers.

It's perfectly fine to post quotes here that you get from moving companies. Many, many people have done so.

The price that Moovers quoted - about $5,500 without the packing - seems reasonable to me because a rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per pound to move things cross-country. Since you're moving only halfway across, and you have about 9,000 pounds, that would be $4,500, which is close to what they quoted, and the storage and valuation charges bring it up over $5,100, which is even closer. If you want to get another quote for comparison, go to the Superlist and call a company in Austin that has good reviews there.

About the 30% discount - most moving companies quote a full price and then give a discount off that amount. It's just a practice that started many years ago, basically as a selling point, and most people agree that it doesn't make much sense, but it is what it is. Most companies that list discounts list them in the neighborhood of around 60%, but their basic prices are higher than the rates that Moovers uses, as I'll explain below.

Some years ago, anti-trust-type legislation was passed saying that every moving company had to develop its own price list, called a tariff. Moovers decided to use a different price list from most companies: a list that had lower prices, so its discount is also lower, if you can follow what I'm saying. Bottom line, their 30% discount is fine and the price they quoted is about the same as what you'd pay if another company gave you a 60% discount.

If you can afford the $5,500, personally I would advise you to go with Moovers or another reputable full-service company because then you won't have to worry about things like packing and loading. It will all be taken care of for you.

If you can't afford it, then I would advise you to use either ABF or Broadway Express. PODS is reputable, judging from reviews, but ABF and Broadway Express have stronger reviews here and I think they are likely to cost less as well. With ABF, you will have to hire helpers from a place like www.movinghelp.com to load and unload the truck, and with Broadway Express you will probably want to hire the driver to help plus additional loaders. ABF will cost less than Broadway Express because it provides less service - just a truck rather than a truck and a driver who can help load. You can get quotes from both to see. You will probably need 18 feet or so of truck space if you go with ABF or Broadway Express. ABF will charge you less if you use less space but BE won't, so keep that in mind too.

Keep us posted on what you decide and if you have more questions, just ask.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

LoriofCA123

Postby LoriofCA123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for all the advice.

It looks like a full-service moving company is out of my price range, in part due to the cost of storage for 2 weeks while I'm looking for a place. With Armstrong Relocation, storage would be almost $2000 extra, so that ruled them out as an option for me since I'm paying out of pocket and this isn't an employer-reimbursed move.

Most likely, I'll go with ABF and hire outside labor, but Diane, may I ask you what the benefit is with Broadway Express allowing me to hire a driver too?

In CA, there is a company I've used in the past (and been happy with---Affordable Moving & Storage in Garden Grove) that I contacted which will allow me to hire labor. But I need to find good help here in Austin, TX to help me load. Are there other sources I should review aside from www.MovingHelp.com where anyone else has hired excellent help?

Thanks again everyone!

Lori

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi - the Broadway Express driver is likely to be more knowledgeable about moving than just plain "loaders" that you would hire from MovingHelp.com, and he would stay with your goods during the entire move whereas an ABF trailer would likely have several different drivers associated with it. However, you could also call a company in Austin with good reviews like Daryl Flood or Ward Moving and Storage (see the Superlist) to see whether they could supply loading help.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:36 am

Hi - the Broadway Express driver is likely to be more knowledgeable about moving than just plain "loaders" that you would hire from MovingHelp.com, and he would stay with your goods during the entire move whereas an ABF trailer would likely have several different drivers associated with it. However, you could also call a company in Austin with good reviews like Daryl Flood or Roger Ward (see the Superlist) to see whether they could supply loading help.
Diane,

Roger Ward is a NAVL agent based out of North Dakota and is not affiliated with Ward Moving and Storage that is situated in Austin, TX. I agree both Darryl Flood and Ward are quality choices as is Ace Moving and Storage (Atlas).

Bill

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks, Bill. Could you tell me something, though? In this thread quoted in the Superlist, people seem to be saying that there is a ROGER Ward NAVL agent in Austin - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7986 Are there two Wards there, then? Seems strange.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks, Bill. Could you tell me something, though? In this thread quoted in the Superlist, people seem to be saying that there is a ROGER Ward NAVL agent in Austin - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7986 Are there two Wards there, then? Seems strange.
Diane,

Yes it is confusing, but they are two separate companies. Ward Moving and Storage is based out of San Antonio and has numerous sites within Texas, one being in Austin. Kevin Ankenbauer, the CEO of Ward Moving and Storage, once worked for Roger Ward and then created the Ward agency in Texas. I had the pleasure to meet him in 2008. He is an extremely sharp individual. He has a law degree and has does an incredible job - Ward has been awarded the 'Agent of the Year' award from NAVL for nine years in a row. I am not sure the size of Roger Ward, but it is relatively small.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bill

LoriofCA123

Postby LoriofCA123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:49 am

As an update, I attempted to use ABF but had to cancel when, upon further investigation, I found out they could not provide same day drop off and pick up of the trailer. I was disappointed due to all the great things I'd heard about them. I wish I could have paid an extra fee for this service, or that they stipulate this limitation on their website. Instead, they say just to call for pick-up when you're done loading. A little ambiguous IMO.

I am going with PODS instead, though I'd really wanted a trailer instead. ABF's relocubes wouldn't work for me because they would take up 3 parking spaces and I am unable to do that where I live.

I'll post more information about my move when I get to CA. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I would have loved to go full-service, but $6000 is just too much for a self-funded move. The storage time on the delivery end was just too steep with the majority of those companies.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 am

Hi again - please be sure to post a review of PODS because we don't have many of them here.
Diane

LoriofCA123

Postby LoriofCA123 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 pm

I've been advised to check the Super List for local movers here in Austin rather than using Moving Staffers to load my POD. There doesn't seem to be anyone with a 'thumbs-up' sign. The company that I would like to contact based on what's been written here does not have contact information listed. I don't want to contact the wrong company, and so many have similar names. Can anyone help me locate a phone number for this specific company?

Atlas Van Lines agents

--Ace Worldwide (Atlas) in Austin.
This company appears to be different from the Atlas agent Ace Relocation Systems, Inc. in Kyle, TX. Ace Worldwide in other locations has very good reviews and comments. This branch was going to be used by A. Arnold (independent) in Louisville, KY, to do a household survey for an interstate move--a good sign since A. Arnold is excellent:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6592#56592
"youngie" (real name Craig) reported that Ace picked up his Seattle-bound shipment on the same day that he called them, rescuing him from a potentially disastrous experience with Stealth Moving in WA:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4319#74319 (interstate)
"pithlydawn" gave Ace a very good review for a house move to NC in 1/08--the only problem was that two expensive electronic items shipped in their original boxes vanished, probably on the NC end. (Note that this was not Ace Worldwide's fault.) However, he had full replacement valuation coverage and the claim for them was paid in full:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15894 (interstate)

ambc

Postby ambc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Hello: I have been doing similar research. I have narrowed my own move down to Atlas SmartMove and 1-800-Packrat. They both seem to have less bad reviews than PODS. The full service movers were actually cheaper for just the move portion, but I need my things to go into storage.

I couldn't find any bad reviews of Atlas Smart Move or Packrat. For Atlas, if you use their movers to load/unload, they give you full valuation coverage. Also, for Packrat, if you use Moving Staffers, you can get the PLUS service which offers coverage for $140. Of course, either one costs more than hiring your own movers to load (emove is a good site to find highly rated local movers), but you get the insurance coverage. I am currently debating whether to pay more for the insurance coverage or just trust in my packing.

LoriofCA123

Postby LoriofCA123 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:12 pm

I chickened out and I'm not doing PODS anymore. I called a company just to find out what labor would cost, then got to talking with Stephanie about why I was going the do-it-yourself route, and somehow she managed to address all of my concerns and offer me a desirable price....with storage at origin, so I will have to wait a little longer for my things even when I have a new address to provide, but we reduced the max length of delivery time, and I'm comfortable with that.

Full insurance coverage with no deductible, loading/unloading, they'll take apart my Crate and Barrel bed and put it back together, storage, a possible shuttle all for less than $4000 and no more worries about where to put a POD at my apartment complex. It's such a relief that this came through at the 11th hour. I didn't expect it at all. I'll post a review when it's completed.

By the way, that company is Ace World Wide, though when Stephanie answered the phone, I believe she said "Atlas". The contact info for her here in Austin is 512-246-2929.

Regarding insurance, I would say get the coverage. It's totally worth it, because your furniture could be scratched or there could be an unpredictable Act of God.

ambc

Postby ambc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks for the info! your plan sounds like a good one. I want to be able to access my items dunring storage, so I can't do the local storage, but that is definitely the cheapest route. GOod luck!

ambc

Postby ambc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 pm

btw, sounds like you got a great price. I have a 2-BR but my weight is half of yours and my estimates were almost the same.

LoriofCA123

Postby LoriofCA123 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Absolutely! It was a godsend, and I couldn't believe it happened. Since it's a reputable company, I'm not even worried that it may be too good to be true. :D

Return to “Open Community”