Canceling a move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rayray_1919

Canceling a move

Postby rayray_1919 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

I received a quote from a moving company of 3500. and approximately 175. for 2 months of storage which I told them I would need because I was going to be out of the country.
When the movers came the total wound up being 7000. and they are charging me 600. a month for storage.
The move was from Corona, CA to Houston, TX.
How do I cancel and have everything delivered locally in Corona? I can't afford the 7000. I've given them approximately 4000.

JAHaddow

Re: Canceling a move

Postby JAHaddow » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Tell us who you are moving with. Do you have any contract with the company. Are your goods in an actual warehouse? If you used a scam company then you will have some difficulty even finding the goods. Let us know who has the shipment.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 am

How do I cancel and have everything delivered locally in Corona?

Option 1: Ask the mover you hired to delivery your things locally. You will pay for a local delivery out of storage.
Option 2: Rent a truck and pick it up yourself.
Option 3: Hire another mover to pick it up and deliver it for you.
If you or another mover pick it up, there will likely be a warehouse handling fee charged to you by the mover who is storing your things.

Option 1 is preferred because if anything is damaged, the original mover is 100% accountable. If more than one mover, or you, are involved and you have to file a damage claim, each will blame the other and getting compensation becomes a challenge.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Mach10

Postby Mach10 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 am

Looks like RayRay is not coming back...nor are his things perhaps. Sounds like he really did his research and picked the best internet mover with the cheapest price. Whoops. Just another poor soul looking to save both time and money and ending up wasting so much more of both.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:13 am

Oh come on, he only posted that last night. Not everyone checks websites 24 hours a day.

Mach10

Postby Mach10 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:31 am

True, MusicMom, but if I were in his position/predicament, I think I would be! Sorry if I often come across as a grizzled veteran, but I am what I am and that's all that I am! Have a great day!

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Mach10,
Everyone makes mistakes. We see people making this type of mistake all the time, but this situation is new to rayray. We don't even know the details of how he chose his mover.
While you're take on the situation is likely spot on, please rember that people come here looking for our help, and not to be ridiculed.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Mach10

Postby Mach10 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:46 pm

I know! It's just soooo frustrating!!!! Ahhhhh! :roll:

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Everyone is assuming the shipment is still in CA. He will have a problem if it made it to Houston before they gave him the weight. At that point he will have to pay the transportation charge, plus a diversion.

My question[s] [which doesn't appear to have been addressed] is if there was any explanation as to why the cost doubled. Was there a visual survey, or an internet quote. What's the name of the company?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

rayray_1919

Postby rayray_1919 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for the reply's, both positive and negative. I've been traveling and just getting a chance to get to the internet.
The company I used is Public Van Lines CA.
My items are still in L.A.
I'm wondering if I need to get a Lawyer to make my request to have my items delivered locally, and the return of the difference in the money I've paid them.
I've paid them over $3500. which wound up being part of the 40% deposit they require, and the $600. a month they are charging me for storage in L.A. which they say is because of the amount of items I have.
I really appreciate your reply's and I apologize for my ignorance of this process. Everyone is not as savvy in all areas as some of you. That's why I'm here.
Ray

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 pm

What was their reason for the price hike?

Before you contact a lawyer, talk to Public about them releasing your goods to another mover, or delivering somewhere else in CA.

If they demand huge sums of money or refuse to deal, THEN you get a lawyer. You can write to www.moverescue.com

BTW: Their website claims membership in the BBB and AMSA. I verified they're not members of the BBB, and I'm waiting for a response form the AMSA.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:05 pm

The AMSA just confirmed that Public Van Lines is a member of them, if not the BBB. This means that MoveRescue will not help, they do not get involved with AMSA members.

You can call the AMSA if you feel you need arbitration, but you're going to have to try to work with the mover first. Compare your estimate and all resulting paperwork with the Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move booklet available at www.protectyourmove.gov and see if everything's up to snuff. If you had a non-binding estimate based on an inventory you provided rather than a company rep coming to your house, then discrepancies in load size could very easily account for a higher price.

This is just another example of why customers shoul hire movers in their state, not across the country. PVL is based in Brooklyn.

rayray_1919

Postby rayray_1919 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Thanks MusicMom for the reply.
The reason for the price hike according to the truck supervisor who came with the packing guys is that, the person who talks to you on the phone gives you a guaranteed quote to cement the deal. But it's up to the supervisor to tell you the real deal. My words; at that point you've given the bank or new owners a move out date and you're stuck with half your items on the truck and no where else to put them.
I did tell the person who quoted the price that I had many more items than what was on the initial survey. She responded that the quote was guaranteed.
I'll try to call them and see what happens.
The reason I mention a Lawyer is because I received a call from the person overseeing my account asking for a payment over the phone, who wasn't too cordial. I was out of the country and at a club with some friends when she called. I always answer my phone even when out of the country because of family and friends. I told her I was out of the country and she replied... "it sounds like you are at a concert," you need to make the payment now.
Again, thanks for your reply's.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:24 pm

I would contact the CMSA, www.thecmsa.org for advice. They should be able to refer you to a lawyer in California who can assist in the process.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:37 am

Call the mover and ask them to send you an invoice for services provided so far, which is a move to storage, and one month in storage, and ask them for an estimate to deliver you out, locally.
Delivering locally should be much less than moving to Houston.
You may agree to have them delivery out, and/or it would be good to have that document in case your situation gets legal.
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”