How to execute an open-ended move with storage? (and on finding ourselves)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Hedgeman

How to execute an open-ended move with storage? (and on finding ourselves)

Postby Hedgeman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 pm

We are researching the best options on an open-ended move with storage. Here's the situation: We want to move out and pack up most of our stuff and have it stored while we go off on an adventure (mid-life crisis) out of the country for between 3 and 7 months. Since we're heading out to find ourselves, there is no telling where we will end up or quite how long it will take. (I hear that it's actually quite difficult to find oneself - weird.)

We are currently in Los Angeles Ca and will likely end up anywhere in the southeast or northern California but not back here. We have about 2-3 bedrooms worth of stuff. Cost will be a big factor but speed of delivery will not be (unless we find ourselves and we turn out to be type A, impatient jerks with a desperate need for our stuff - jeez, I hope not).

Sooooo...
How can we protect ourselves given the fact that we have no definitive plans? Most good advice seems to be to try to get everything as locked down as possible but we are about as locked down ourselves as a puff of wind. My first inclination was a pod type solution but I'm not sure if that is the least expensive way to move a large distance if we decide to.

Any tips or advice will be much appreciated and sorry in advance if this has been asked before.

(also any tips on what we should do with our lives out of the rat race greatly appreciated) :)

Movinghelper

Re: How to execute an open-ended move with storage? (and on finding ourselv

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Call three of the major van lines and ask them to come by and do an in home estimate for a local move with storage for the months needed. Also ask them to quote a price from storage to your final destination(s). Knowing in advance that the quote will be fluctuating depending on the time fo the year of your move and fuel prices.

This shoudl give you a good base line to work with and 3 competing estimates. You can also call some of the recommended movers here on the list that handle that area for the same type of estimates. Only go with in home estimates you have received. They can update your estimate at the time of your final move having all of the information in their system already.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Being in Southern California, here is what you will have to do.

Get 3 estimates for packing and transporting to whse for perm storage [month-to-month storage].

No one will give you a cost for the delivery out, since you have no inkling of where your final destination will be.

Most companies will give you the local hourly rates for the drayage, and their warehouse handling and storage rate per container, based on your estimated need.

You're in the LA area, so be careful when going outside of the movers that are van line affiliated. There are some good independent agents up there, but do your homework.

When you are a couple of months from returning, and know where you plan to go, then you can contact them and get an estimate based on that.

Since it is possible that you may move out of the state or at least out of the LA area, I would ask that they weigh your shipment, because it looks like the transportation out would be based on weight anyway.

Since you'll be gone who knows where, it may be a good plan to visit the facility storing your goods. Make sure they have a storage warehouse, and not renting some space in someplace other their own facility.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Hedgeman

Postby Hedgeman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks for your replies. So as long as I go with reputable movers such as the ones recommended on this site, I shouldn't be concerned that after my firm quote for pickup and storage, once they have our stuff, that they will "ransom" it because I have no firm quote for final delivery?

I'm looking at Atlas Smartmove at the moment. Atlas happens to have a local facility about 4 blocks from my home. That might seem to represent some sort of advantage perhaps. I will contact them and others.

Thanks again

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Under California law your goods cannot be sold unless you default on your storage payments. In that event, the mover has certain legal requirements to fulfill before your goods can be auctioned.

For long term storage, you have several options.. Prepay the storage or have it monthly debited to your credit card.

If you plan to use Smartmove, you have to be certain that they have a facility in the city you plan to move. That may be difficult, not knowing where you will be moving. The advantage with van lines is most metropolitan areas have agents that can easily facilitate delivery.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:55 pm

I would tour any facility you consider. YOu want to see the warehouse and observe the trucks, equipment, employees and know you can trust them.

As for feeling like they will ransom your goods upon delivery, there are countless of reputable, long term moving companies. They wouldn't be in business if they treated customers like that. Find some good ones to give you quotes.

It is a leap of faith that they will act honestly throughout, and getting in home estimates and visiting their facilities will help you trust them for the leap.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 am

There is also the option of placing your items in a self storage facility and be done with it. If you consider going that route, your mover would load and deliver you on an hourly basis. Be sure and secure a unit that is accessible for a moving truck, close to the dock, avoiding the elevator and the long walk down a hallway. Should your move out be a long distance move, you will want to plan to be accessible for that move for a tractor trailer, eliminating the possibilty of a shuttle at origin which comes with an extra cost.

Placing you belongings in a self storage facility allows you easy access to come and go as you please without access fees, not that it sounds like something you will be doing. You'll also have the key.

As long as you pay your monthly bill on time, you should be fine wherever you store it.
Do your homework then trust your instincts

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:24 am

Right but no valuation or damage protection on the above option. If a mover stores it, you have protection from that first pick up until ultimate delivery -- as long as you don't hire a different company at some stage of the move.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 am

any tips on what we should do with our lives out of the rat race greatly appreciated

If you're really looking to be out of the rat race, buy the book; Off the Grid by Nick Rosen. It's an interesting account of several case studies of people who have chosen to live their lives without fully relying on the government or the utility companies to maintain a comfortable lifestyle. It's an interesting, if not inspiring, read.

People in your position (who don't HAVE to live in any given area) typically end up choosing to live near family members. Grandkids are the biggest draw.
Good luck and kep us in your loop.

You've received sound advice from the others, which I agree with. Self storage is a nice option if you think you'll need access to your things, but be sure to inspect your belongings for damage as they are taken off the truck.Trying to get compensation several months afterwards will be tough.

A trusted mover (whose facility you've visited) is a nice option as well. Ask if they have the ability to move you long distance in the future. They can give you pricing for random cities in case you wish to compare. You name them, and they'll price them. Since each in-home estimator will estimate different weights, ask each one to prepare estimates on identical weights with 3 or 4 destinations of your choosing. Be sure they weigh your shipment when they actually do the move to their storage facility. It helps when figuring pricing when you've chosen your new location. The real advantage of doing it this way is you wouldn't have to fly back to meet the movers on load day. They already have your things. Just dial them up and tell them where your new home is and they'll bring it to you.

You should also go through your posessions to determine what you really want to keep, and what you don't need. Once you get accustomed to living free and without your stuff, you'll likely realize how much crap we have that we can do without. Don't pay to move and store these things.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't think he [or she] will be needing access Bill. The final destination isn't known, so if moves into mini storage there may be some difficulty getting it surveyed for weight purposes when it needs to move out, as opposed to going to a mover with storage, who can weigh it, and then have the weight when the shipper finally decides on a destination.

If it was going back out locally while the shipper was off exploring the world, mini storage would be a good option.

Just my opinion.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 pm

No argument there, Big Lee. I actually think that storing with a mover who can move the shipment to it's final stop is the better option. No mini-warehouse loading fee, no chance of a shuttle, no question of responsibility when one carrier has custody of the shipment the entire time, and the customer doesn't have to fly/drive back to open up a storage unit.

With that said, some people prefer self storage units in case they need access, or just to have the comfort of seeing their things in a room, rather than having them get taken off to a movers' facility to be vaulted and stacked in a warehouse. IF they decide to do it this way they should: 1) be sure the storage facility is trailer accessible; and 2) require the movers to weigh the shipment for future reference. On a time-based local move, it wouldn't take much time to do this.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”