waiting for a date!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
damfino

waiting for a date!

Postby damfino » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:49 am

I have hired blue chip/mayflower to move my 1BR apt. from Los Angeles to Boston and have a pick up window of 21-24 July, and still don't have a firm date. I've been told that because it's the height of moving season (many trucks and drivers), and mine is a small load (ie, "truck filler"), that this is normal. Perhaps, but I'm obviously up a crik if they don't come through for me. Any comments from the pros out there? Is this really normal? Am I normal? (oh, wait, wrong kind of professionals for that sort of evaluation!)

As always, I am ever grateful for your service.

damfino

IMP

Re: waiting for a date!

Postby IMP » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:34 am

Today is the 16th, right? That's 5 days before the start of your spread. I would call your contact daily, but it's normal that you don't have a date specific until 48-72 hours ahead of time - that's ahead of the start of the spread, not ahead of when they'll be there - so at the latest on the 19th you should have a date. Again I would still call every day just to be sure they haven't forgotten you. By the way - on the 19th if they tell you it will be 21 or 22, or 22 or 23, or 23 or 24 - that's o.k. too.

damfino

Postby damfino » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:52 am

I have been on the phone with them, I just wanted to make sure they weren't giving me any kind of runaround.

thanks for the reassurance!

damfino

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:20 am

This is totally standard and very common. We handle load spreads every day, and calling your contact on a daily basis won't help at all. Ask them what happens if your load is still not assigned on the final day. Typically, they will come pick it up at no charge and hold it in their warehouse for a driver. We have been doing this all summer, the customer doesn't pay anything extra, and it gets loaded onto a truck. For the 10 or 15 shipments this has happened on for our agency, all but two delivered within their spread. It is the busiest summer most of us have seen in years, and this happens.

damfino

Postby damfino » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:26 pm

clearly, I shouldn't let late-night anxiety get me. They called this morning to tell me they are picking up on the 21st (first day of the spread). is there any additional information i should get from them or the driver? I know to check the DOT numbers on the truck, any other tips for moving day?

Also, regarding "items of extraordinary value" my salesman advised me to leave boxes of CDs & DVDs unsealed so that they can confirm them...make sense?

While I've got you, i have couple of expensive bottles of wine that I'd rather drink in Boston than this weekend, should I ship them via US Mail or UPS or something or just pack them carefully and hope they don't skunk or break?

ever grateful

damfino

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:31 pm

You shouldn't pack or move ANY liquid items. That goes for wine, hard alcohol, cleaning fluids, etc. If they break and damage the rest of your load, there will be no carrier protection for your claims. You could also be liable for any damages spread to other shipments on the truck.

Return to “Open Community”