Normal delivery windows for moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ChrisFromCT

Normal delivery windows for moving

Postby ChrisFromCT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

I am just curious. .. I don't remember this being a concern last time I moved.

I agreeded to a 14day delivery window. . .and I have it (July 1st to July 14t). I noted those dates about a month ago.

So now its June 25th and I'm asking "hey any update on delivery window"

I'm told, we will let you know by the end of the week and i"ll give you a better "idea".

Doesn't make my life easy. Is it normal to wait so late? I am okay with 14 days, but I didn't expect to not know the date so close to the window.

Miami Sean

Re: Normal delivery windows for moving

Postby Miami Sean » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Chris,

A lot of our veteran movers are likely bz as heck right now...it's after 8PM now and I am just looking at the forums for the first time today. I am as eager as you in hearing what the answers will be on this. I have been in the moving business less than a year and I have a very hard time trying to nail down delivery times.

By law and my understanding is most moving companies legally have 30 days to deliver but again I might be wrong and different sections of the country might be set up different. We mostly operate on the 95 corridor so our turn times are a little faster and I wouldn't want you to expect that from everybody. Trucks that go from Coast to Coast can take a good while, not sure where your stuff is coming from or going to.

I guess it depends on who does your move but you agreed to a 14 day window and it isn't even Day 1 yet so maybe wait or email them and ask if there is a specific day yet...but likely they are going to tell you they have a 14 day window, you agreed to it, the driver/dispatch will call you a day or two ahead of time, maybe a phone call an hour before they roll up but I doubt you will see a lot more than that right now.

Good Luck,
MS

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:10 am

Normally the only one who can give you the best date for your move is the driver that picks it up. If it is a major van line that driver usually will be the one delivering. This of course if it is a long haul driver. They have their own schedule of pick ups and delivery along the way. It will also rely on cooperation from all customer being there when they say they will as well.

Customers, weather, mechanical and so many other things can affect your timing.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 am

Chris,

What time of year did you move last time? That could have played a huge part in you not recalling it. This is the absolute busiest time of year for movers. Dispatchers are scrambling to maximize every resource available. They are trying to fill every little space on each and every truck. It also depends largely on where you are moving from and to and how much weight you have. The less your shipment weighs the longer it takes to fill space on the truck. The larger the shipment the quicker the truck should be filled. It also depends on if your shipment is the first to be loaded on the truck or the last. The driver will have other pickups and/or deliveries en route to your new residence. We try to give at least 24- 48 hours notice for delivery, trying as best we can to update the shipper (you) along the way. It is extremely hard to pinpoint an exact delivery date that far in advance with so many variables. Hope this helps you to better understand the process.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:49 am

I'm told, we will let you know by the end of the week and i"ll give you a better "idea".

This is normal.
Movers are on time if they delivery within the agreed time frame.
Most customers want more notice than the movers are able to give.
Start checking in on June 30, and call every 2 days.
The alternative is to wait to be notified, but that would likely happen the day before they plan to deliver. Most people want more notice than that, and the movers don't mind it when you check in with them periodically.
Just remember that if they tell you the day they are planning to deliver, it can still change. As long as it's within the spread, they are not late.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Miami Sean

Postby Miami Sean » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 am

I am being told by folks that most of the major moving companies are telling them 15-30 days for delivery pretty much across the board.

Then I hear from another person that NAVL can pick them up and deliver in a 3-4 day span/turn...only about 500-600 miles between load/unload.

Every area or move is going to different.

ChrisFromCT

Postby ChrisFromCT » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:41 am

Now.. . .I'm getting from these posts that this isn't abnormal. Personally, it seems pretty darn inefficient. . .

It seems like these guys are loading/filling trucks “by the seat of their pants”. My guess is that they are just looking at the delivery windows and focusing on the delivery windows that are “at the end” and trying to fill those trucks up as soon as possible.

I gave my delivery window about a month ago. If the mover was at all efficient (i.e. using math and truck size and delivery locations) to determine his route/deliveries. . .he would have to know at this point where he is delivering.

Seems like if they used a little operations best practices they would save money on gas, and be able to confirm a delivery timeline well before you actually put something on the truck.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 am

ChrisFromCT wrote:Now.. . .I'm getting from these posts that this isn't abnormal. Personally, it seems pretty darn inefficient. . .

It seems like these guys are loading/filling trucks “by the seat of their pants”. My guess is that they are just looking at the delivery windows and focusing on the delivery windows that are “at the end” and trying to fill those trucks up as soon as possible.

I gave my delivery window about a month ago. If the mover was at all efficient (i.e. using math and truck size and delivery locations) to determine his route/deliveries. . .he would have to know at this point where he is delivering.

Seems like if they used a little operations best practices they would save money on gas, and be able to confirm a delivery timeline well before you actually put something on the truck.

There was a time when I would respond to this post with lots of enthusiasm, but I think it would be a waste of good internet ink.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 am

Chris,

You would need to sit in the chair of a dispatcher for 1 week during the summer months to get a real appreciation for what they do and what they are trying to do. The shipper changes his mind / plans all the time. Orders are constantly being built and re-built in an effort to create profitability for the mover and keeping it cost effective for the shipper. Shippers cancel, increase and or decrease the inventory right up until load day. It can be a logistics nightmare at times. The smaller orders are given the longest spreads and are usually only required to be given 24 hour notice for delivery. As you get closer to your move, call in every couple of days, you should be able to get a better time frame, early, middle or late in the spread. Yours is not the only order on the truck.
Do your homework then trust your instincts

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:24 am

Ditto Archie.
Do your homework then trust your instincts

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:19 am

Chris,

Out of curiosity, where are you moving from and to? And what is your estimated weight?

jk300

Postby jk300 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:57 am

Ditto Arch. I will keep my big mouth shut. However, We need to figure out a way to run every shipment alone on the truck & give every customer a 70% discount. Then we would be efficient.

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Joe, the problem is the shippers really don't understand the logistical nightmares we run into in the summer months. It is up to us as movers to explain it the best we can, so they have a better understanding of what we deal with. What they don't realize is the snow ball effect of just one thing going wrong. I.E. Shipment loading prior to theirs goes way over estimated weight, or way under est weight, totally affecting every other shipment planned for that said truck. I try my best to keep this in mind and explain to our customers so they can perhaps be more understanding. It will never be a perfect science, as there are too many variables on what can or cannot go wrong.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Why isnt anyone asking who he is moving with? You got great replies from movers with good reps and know how the industry works. And great replies from others who refused to elaborate (lol).

But if this is a fly by night company moving you or a company you selected over the internet or a broker, then it doesnt matter what you wrote and agreed to for a delivery date. Their motto "We delivery when we want to".
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

jk300

Postby jk300 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Jengsa I am Director of COD Services for a major van line. As such I am the COD complaint department & handle all COD delay claims. I understand what you are saying, and patience is a key. However, customers normally wont listen to explanations, and are real quick to gives dispatching tips.

Return to “Open Community”