Moving from NC to Long Island NY

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sarzini

Moving from NC to Long Island NY

Postby sarzini » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:55 am

Moving somewhere between Dec 15-31. 3 bedroom house. So far have on my list - United, Allied, North American, Coastal Carrier, Bekins. Any others I might have missed?

I haven't thought about ABF (if I keep the move under 10k it is paid for by company moving us) - but I am nervous as they are freight vs. household goods movers. Plus I will be real - hate unloading/loading! Should I skip them?

Any other tips?

Michael

Re: Moving from NC to Long Island NY

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I am assuming your in Wilmington?
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:04 am

To sarzini,

If you do your own packing, you can move a whole lot of stuff from NC to Long Island, NY for less than $10K. Go ahead and get some in-home, not-to-exceed quotes from reps of the major van lines in your area, then you'll have the information you need to make an informed decision.

Leave the loading/unloading/moving to the pros. All it takes is twisting your back the wrong way while handling something extremely heavy and you could wind up with a lifetime injury, just to save a few hundred dollars. People considering DIY moves tend to overlook this (real) possibility.

Good luck with your move! :)

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:32 pm

No not Wilmington - Eastern Nc - Greenville.

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Bekins so far is at $3500 ($4900 for full pack). Waiting on two others this week.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Good, now you're going in the right direction.

Make sure everyone quotes you on the same basis, goods and services, so the playing field stays level. In addition, effective 5/15/12 this year, it became law that the 1st estimate issued to you by any licensed interstate carrier must show you how much your move would cost if you were 100% covered against any damage or loss. That 1st estimate must include $6.00 per lb. Full Value Coverage with $0 deductible in effect for your household items. After you have been made aware of what the full coverage cost is and it is included in your estimate, then you can make an informed decision.

If anyone quotes you and doesn't show you the cost of the move with $6.00 per lb. Full Value Protection / $0 deductible on the initial estimate, they are already "skirting" the law and might be out of compliance with current regulations. Some companies do this to make the offering price of their move look lower and therefore, more attractive. If you receive any quotes like this from a mover ask them why they are not complying with the 5/15/12 STB ruling and why their initial quote didn't include the mandatory disclosure and coverage. A mover trying to sell you their service without including FVP is like a car manufacturer trying to sell you a new car with no warranty. Large or non-refundable deposit requests from a mover would also be a red flag.

Please continue to post about your progress, so that we may keep assisting / guiding you in the right direction.

Thanks! :)

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Hildrup quoted $5600 (self pack) and $7200 (full pack).

One more Thursday and hopefully decision time shortly thereafter!

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:36 pm

To sarzini,

Whoa! That's a huge difference between the 2 quotes. It will be interesting to see the results of the 3rd estimate and where that one comes in. :hmm:

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Hilldrup is a good company, so I would question whether we're comparing apples to apples, or apples to melons.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 am

I would hope it is comparing apples to apples. Hildrup was a name I got from here as well as Bekins from the state list posted on this site. The only melon may be the moving company that is local to here but they did a great job moving us here so I thought we would see what they have for a quote.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am

What he meant is that you were getting quoted for the same thing. Same services, roughly the same weight, etc. Check the weights on both of the quotes, they should not be dramatically different but I suspect that they are. Or something else is not in line... they shouldn't be that far off... typically... unless one is doing something differently than the other.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:24 pm

If your in greenville, there is ABC Moving, a North American agent. The only agent in town. Bekins is in Smithfield and Goldsboro. Hilldrup I am not sure.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Yes had ABC in today and should get an estimate early next week.

Hildrup was estimating 1200 cube sq ft/ 8450 lb

Bekins was estimating 1043 cube sq ft /7300lb

All three have provided full value replacement with $0 deductible. Just waiting on ABC.

ABC did our last move so they may still have the original weight/contents so should be interesting to see what they provide for cost. I did also get an estimate for full pack from all.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

It is the general consensus of those who contribute to this site that the best basis for a consumer to move under is the "bound, not-to-exceed" type of contract. This type of move affords you protection against the final charges going over the maximum, bound price - but gives you the advantage in that if the bound weight is higher than the shipment actual weight, you get a reduced final price.

When you post your final comparison, please indicate what type of estimates you have received from each party - whether they are non-bound, bound or bound, not-to-exceed.

The point of this is that if you're comparing a bound, not-to-exceed quote from one company with a non-bound, seemingly lower quote from another company than that "lower-priced" company might wind up costing you more in the end if their assessment was underbid.

:)

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 am

Here is what we have at this point:

Bekins (option not to exceed) -7300lb

Full pack

$4909.19 (excluding FRVP)
$5396.19 (FRVP with $0 deductible)

No pack

$3685.13 (excluding FRVP)
$4172.31 (FRVP with $0 deductible)

United/Hildrup (binding estimate) - 8450lb

Full pack

$6606.89 (excluding FVRP)
$7166.89 (FRVP with $0 deductible)

No pack

$5116.79 (excluding FVRP)
$5676.79 (FRVP with $0 deductible)

North American (ABC Moving) - (non binding) 6500lb

Full pack

$5770 (excluding FRVP)
$6214 (FRVP with $0 deductible)

$4375 (excluding FVRP)
$4819.76 (FRVP with $0 deductible)

ABC moved us here to NC so they know the exact (sort of) weight of what we are carrying.

Not sure who to go with but any input would be appreciated!

Return to “Open Community”