Moving from NC to Long Island NY

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NYCMover

Re: Moving from NC to Long Island NY

Postby NYCMover » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi sarzini,

Looks like all 3 companies have A or A+ BBB ratings and 0 or no more than 1 complaint filed for the past 36 months.

Consider these 2 things:

1) Ask each sales rep if their committing to "self-haul" the shipment on their own trailer. Although it's not 100% foolproof, it's best when the booking/origin agent is also the hauler and will take your shipment north on their own equipment, with their own driver. Mind you, that doesn't mean you can't get a great move when an outside agency driver is assigned to haul the job instead. This time of year (slow) the drivers are on a rotation and have to wait for their next turn at bat to get a load. By asking if each agent/van line is self-hauling the shipment you can get one more piece of valuable information to help you make your decision.

2) What is your gut telling you?

Thanks! :)

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:40 am

I have started with Hildrup. I can ask about the self haul though.

The only problem so far with Hildrup is that they are giving me a Jan 1-5 delivery drop which my husband is not happy about so going to call Bekins to see if their drop is better.

My husband does not 'get' that other loads are picked up and doesn't want to suck it up and sleep on an air mattress for a week (maximum). Frustrating for me but not much I can do :)

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 am

Hi sarzini,

In my opinion you have made a good choice. Hilldrup is one of the largest United agents in the country, has a great reputation, lots of high-rated drivers and tons of experience.

To be honest with you a Jan. 1/1 - 1/5/13 delivery window in the middle of the Christmas holiday season is a "tight" spread, especially when you consider that (in all likelihood) they're not going to deliver on New Year's day - so the real spread is most likely 1/2 - 1/5/13.

That delivery window is especially good because this time of year, a lot of the drivers take off a month or so to be home with their families during the holidays - and they usually don't go back on the road until after New Years.

After you get settled in, please be sure to come back and let us know how it went and whether you were satisfied with the services you received or not.

Happy Holidays! :)

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Coming in late, and not sure if your decision is final but here are my thoughts:
The main focus seems to be about price (important sure, but not the only thing that matters). Have each of these companies provided you with recent references? Ask for them and check them.
The weights seem to be scattered. The only way to compare apples to apples (with regard to pricing) is to ask each company to furnish you with another estimate on identical weight and packing count. Personal note: the higher weight estimates are likely most accurate.
No offense to ABC, but because they moved you in the past, doesn't mean their weight is correct. People tend to bring more things into their homes than the reverse. Adding 2000lbs per year is not unusual. If you were to use them, please make sure they come out to your home to do a new survey.
Dates are also an important consideration and I agree with NYCMover that you have been given a very short or tight delivery spread from Hildrup, considering the time of year. For your husband: delivery spreads save money. Most movers will give you a 1 day guaranteed date for delivery, but you'd pay for the whole truck ($15,000 - $20,000 for interstate moves).
Choosing Hildrup with the highest weight estimate gives you the best shot at a glitch-free move. Good luck.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:21 pm

is your company going to pay for the move, or reimburse you?

Most companies that pay usually have preferred movers that they may already have a contract with.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

sarzini

Postby sarzini » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 am

Follow-up:

We went with Hilldrup. No preferred vendor offered for relocation just a lump sum to use on moving.

The day of the move the driver had a blown tire so arrived at 11am vs. the 9am I was told. I had to contact the Hilldrup office to find out what was going on. The load took a very long time in my opinion. The driver estimated a 3-5 hour load but in reality it took 7 hours. I was fully prepared and all items were boxed and ready to go. Not a super friendly crew but ok - driver plus two guys to load.

I gave the driver my cell phone number as well as my husband's. He did call us to let us know that he would be arriving a day earlier than anticipated which was good. The day of the move the driver called my husband annoyed that my cell phone was not on - it was and I was receding calls all morning. The driver also expressed annoyance as he thought he could not fit the semi into our apartment complex but very much could (I cleared this visually and also with apartment complex).

The unloading was quicker. There was damage done to the front legs of my couch (one big chunk - very obvious plus a giant scratch) plus my filing cabinet lock is broken (can't currently open it as the lock is rammed in and stuck). I had to ask to get the TV reassembled (the crew disassembled and put in box at loading). We also found out they did not remove the pegs for the bookcase shelves so most were lost (all other movers have removed and replaced - I know maybe this is something I should have done but sometimes in a move the little things get overlooked). My daughter's bed got reassembled upside down (there is a giant sticker showing it is the upside down view).

Did my belongings arrive in one piece? Somewhat. Did the crew treat my belongings with care? No based on the outside of the boxes, my couch legs and filing cabinet. I have yet to hear back from Hilldrup for the damage but it has only been a few days.

Would I recommend to other? No. I did like the estimate accuracy and no quibble price - we got a refund (slight) as our weight was less. But overall the crew just gave off the vibe of not caring - in a sense we were tolerated but barely. Not the worst move ever (that award goes to Big Apple Movers out of Brooklyn) but definitely not the best. Perhaps my expectations are too high for people being polite and careful.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Thank you very much for coming back to share your experience here. It's nice when people ask for guidance and come back to report. I wish more would.

Sounds like the cost and dates worked out well. Minor damage can happen and we all know that. Hopefully Hilldrup will settle your claim quickly and fairly.

Expecting professional movers with experience and good bedside manor is not asking too much at all. We all expect that for services we pay for, and good moving companies strive to provide it.

Good luck to you in your new home.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”