Getting in home estimates- spacings between appointments.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
duckman

Postby duckman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:33 pm

On the page "How to Find a Reputable Moving Company" http://www.movingscam.com/findmover.shtml" it is suggested to get in-home estimates in order of least-favorite to most favorite company and to leave the previous quotes out on a table.
Based on my most recent experience, I'd like to make a practical point: you will probably need to space the appointments at least a day apart because no-one was willing to give me a quote on the spot. They were all delivered by email the next day. Had I known this, I would have scheduled accordingly.

Also, perhaps it's a good idea to get two quotes before leaving out the paper work, because displaying a high-end quote would be self-defeating.

Jeff.Walker

Re: Getting in home estimates- spacings between appointments.

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm

There's been some discussion about leaving the other quotes out on the table for the next salesman to "see". At the time of writing it seemed like good, sound advice, but I think you'll find that many here who've worked in a sales position feel that this let's someone else come in, use the work that they've put in, and undercut their pricing.

So while this may seem "consumer savvy", it isn't necessarily "ethical".

Just my .02

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Don't leave the quote out... just leave something out that lets the salesman know that it is a competitive situation... it's actually kind of pointless to be honest, all of the surveyors that come to you house are typically paid commission and don't make anything if they don't book your move. They are all going to give you the very best - or very close to the best - pricing that they are allowed. They would rather make something than nothing on your move!
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:46 am

One of the issues I have with sharing information with multiple sales people is that naturally the ones towards the end don't really have to do any work.

All they want to know is what you were quoted previously. Rather than give you a competitive bid, they will take the info you provide, and give you their rate based on the work of another sales person.

My recommendation is to tell the latter sales people that you have had estimates, and when they finish writing up theirs, take a look at it and compare the bottom line, and say you have a low bid of $xxx.

Sales is a competitive business, and sales people hate to feel like they lost a job because the customer shared their estimate with someone else who lowballed it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Griffin Allied

Postby Griffin Allied » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:53 pm

As A Salesman i feel strongly that you should never show my quote to one of my competitors. However, ill always be glad to take a look at the other quotes youve got. :lol: :lol:
Moving families since 1929

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 pm

When I was doing estimates I really did not care who was there for the competition. I was honest, helpful, sold on service and always, "I mean ALWAYS" returned calls or answered the phone no matter what the issue or the hour. I told my customers that and even told them to test the other companies out on getting answers.

Service sells. If someone is looking at the cheapest mover, well I might not have been the one but we also won the "Customers Choice" award while I was there.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:35 pm

How do you select your least favorite to favorite in order to get estimates if you dont know "who" your colling to set up the quote to begin with? If you dont know Allied from United or Graebel from Mayflower, how do you know who your favorite is.

In my humble opinion, I think if the customers wishes to share, then great. What I hate is when someone tells you they selected so and so because they were cheaper. Oh really? Do you mind if I ask how they were cheaper?..Customer, oh I dont know, their bottom line price was lower then yours.....here is where its nice to see quotes. Oh Mr Shipper, well they didnt include the $75000 of full valuation with a $0 deductible that I included. Oh Mr. Shipper, they didnt include the servicing of the pool table at origin and destination. Oh Mrs Shipper they ddint include a full pack, like you asked me to quote. If your a good sales person, not only dont you worry about your competition, BUT YOU KNOW YOUR COMPETITION.

The point, most shippers dont have a clue what they are looking at or looking for, thus they look at the bottom line dollar and ASSUME, just cause they told sales person A to include it, that they did.

I mean have you seen some of these estimates. now-a-days. Some companies are like 5-6 pages now. Nothing broken out, just a number, its crazy.

Then of course they went out and got 10 quotes and your the one that told them this one particular thing, which you never tell a customer, but it was you you you, lol.

I am not saying everyone is like that, but more then not, most are.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Griffin Allied

Postby Griffin Allied » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Michael, you hit the nail on the head. i could not have put it better myself.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Sharing a salesperson's estimate with another salesperson is totally and completely unfair to the original salesperson. I have customers offer them to me and I decline the opportunity. Part of it is that I only have confidence in my own estimating abilities and do not want to be swayed by others. Mostly, it is a matter of principles and ethics. I do have some customers who come back to me later and tell me that my cost is higher than a competitor and is there anything I can do. Somehow, I look at that situation somewhat differently. My interpretation is that the customer has decided they would rather work with me but the cost is a bit of a stumbling block. I stronghly encourage customers to make there decision based on reputation of the moving company/van line and their perception of the service they will receive based on their meeting with the persaon representing the customer. Price, as long as, the difference is reasonable should be a secondary factor. And if there is a large discrepency in the price, is there a reason for it. Did someone forget something that the other mover included in their quote? And, of course, I always suggest the customer only work with movers who take the time to come out and see them explaining that an in-home survey allows the representative to actually see the furniture pieces and cartons, as well as, access to their home, etc. There is enough information available to the consumer that they should not be hoodwinked by a slick talker on the phone but it still happens. My favorite was a customer telling me that the person wanting only to do a phone quote told them that those of us who come out to the home only want to see how expensive a home they live in and what cars they drive so we can get as much money from them as possible. My bank account sometimes wishes that were true but we all know how competitve a marketplace we work in each day and that we had best come to the customer's home with our pencil sharpened or we will probably not be doing business with that consumer. Please do not ever suggest a consumer show other salespeople's estimates to the competition. It does not make for a fair game.

duckman

Postby duckman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. While I don't want to argue over what is ethical or not (personally I think showing quotes to the competition after they've done their own estimate is perfectly ethical), the spirit of my suggestion, which nobody seemed to acknowledge, was that one should space out appointments appropriately so that you get quotes in time for the next appointment, regardless of whether you're going to display the quote or not.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Actually, I disagree with your thought process. I think you are best to get all of your quotes and then evaluate each one on its own merit. Some of my customers have even setup a spreadsheet to do this. I am very surprised than no one did the quote in your home. I look at that as my opportunity to explain my quote and answer any questions you may have. It is also how I make sure I have addressed all of my customer's concerns and included all services they need in my quote. In regard to sharing my estimate with others, I find it totally unfair and unethical. Most of us in the moving industry work on 100% commission and there is no compensation for our time if we do not book the move. Do you want high quality service and value for the dollars spernt or just a low price? When you buy a car, do you go from dealer to dealer sharing everyone elses price with them or do you find out what each dealer will do for you after the sale, as well as, their price for the vehicle? I do the latter and have been extremely happy with my purchases. I never share the price I have been quoted from one dealer with a competitor. I want them to give me their best price and I want their best service after the sale. I recently installed a new air conditioning system. When I had the original system installed and when I put in the replacement 25 years later, I chose the highest quote because those quotes had added value. Am I the only person who thinks like this?

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Duckman,

If you are obviously going to pick the "cheapest" offer, why bother to space the estimates out and leave them on a table. That's a waste of time for you. Why not just have your estimators all come out at the same time on the same day. Those who are interested in that kind of business will stay, those who are not, will leave. I personally would be one of the ones to leave. You could be, in my opinion, setting yourself up for a disaster. There really is more to a move than just a price. You should re-think your strategy
Do your homework then trust your instincts

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm

The truth is, sales people cant magically change a price by changing the numbers, because we all follow a tariff. The tariff stipulates what our charges are on a interstate move. Our companies limit the discount we can provide shippers. Therefore, when someone is more expensive then the next person, it doesnt mean they are necessarily cheaper, but that someone has either underestimated, cut their weight or under estimated the packing. They didnt change their prices. When someone ask me if I can get a 8000 lb shipment and its cost down $1000 dollars how do I do that? I gave you my highest discount. I gave you free used materials. I gave you our free promotional pricing. You do it by hacking the weight and packing and valuation.

Who do you think will be cheaper:
16000 lbs Detroit MI to Dallas TX, with 160 units to pack.
or
12000 lbs Detroit MI to Dallas TX with 100 units to pack.

Why do people just assume the guy who low balled it to get your business (or if he didnt low ball it, cut the crap out of it to get your business) was the more accurate one? The honest one? (Considering of course, you the shipper told each sales person the same thing, which in most cases, you may). Why doesnt anyone question the guy who was 4000 lbs less or 60 boxes less? Why do they get mad at the person who gave you an honest estimate? Ohhhh because that low baller came from a top company as well and ohhhhhhhhhhh, you want the cheapest price, cause lets be honest, moving is not cheap. But customers want the cheapest price with the best service.

And when it comes to service, how do you know the cheapest price is the best service? How do you gauge one's service if you have never moved with that agent before. You cant go out and test drive the product. You cant go out and see the product in action (well you can but most are to lazy to do so or to busy). We all sell our quality and how good we are. So how do you pick based on service? In essence you really dont. You pick based on price. These arent tires, you can call around and ask for the exact same tire and get 4 different prices.

The truth, most people buy on price. Period. Then they try to qualify it with oh how great their service is (as told by the sales person) or they promised me all the free used boxes I could get (cause as we know, that used supply of boxes we have coming out of our ears all the time, is still full). Dont you expect every company that comes out to have the best damn service in the world and to be able to show you that with all their sales slicks, etc.

You want an accurate estimate. Take your highest quote weight wise and pack wise (and all the other services) and ask the other 2 or 8 competitors your getting quotes from to give you a price based on that. If its a Guarantee Not to Exceed, what do you have to lose?

Make your grid as mentioned earlier with all the companies weights, pack count, valuation, third party services, etc. Then get apple to apple.

Sorry went off on a tangent, ha ha
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Griffin Allied

Postby Griffin Allied » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Open Community”