Movers Choice Moving and Storage, Colorado

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Noone

Re: Movers Choice Moving and Storage, Colorado

Postby Noone » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:14 am

Let's see,

1 - They are in violation of Federal Law by not having their MC or DOT number on their website.

2 - They didn't do an in home survey, as is mentioned on their OWN website:
Plan your moving day at least six weeks in advance. This would allow your agent time to visit your home and prepare an estimate based on the actual survey. Make sure that they give you a written estimate.

3 - They don't have even 1 warehouse, despite the fact that their website says:
Storage – Movers Choice has nationwide warehouses that offer (STORAGE) options for short-term or long-term storage. If you need a extra time with your new arrangements, or just need some extra space.

4 - They have 2 trucks. There is no way they can handle an interstate move, across country, by themselves.

5 - Several professionals said you have 3000 LBS after an in home survey (a small move, even for a one bed-room). You and they decided you have 2000 LBS, based on a phone conversation.

6 - In 2011. they did 10,000 Miles. That's 5000 Miles a truck. That's 100 Miles, per truck, per week.

While it is normal for small, internet business, or professionals, to have a home office, it is NOT normal for moving companies to have home offices. Moving companies have warehouses to hold (at least) packing materials, and (usually) household goods, and a place to park trucks.

Did they offer you to see the weigh-out, or did they tell you it is your right, by law?

Did they send the booklet on your rights and responsibilities (as required by law)?

Did they offer full-replacement insurance?

Did they tell you that their $1 million in insurance does NOT cover your goods up to $1 million dollars, but only for 60 cents a pound (meaning your entire shipment is covered for $1200-$1800, depending on the actual weight), and each piece is covered for 60 cents a pound (meaning your TV set is covered for about $30)

Make a back-up plan for when the truck shows up, and it isn't a Mover's Choice Truck. This way, you won't be stuck when the job is brokered out to another company.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am

Since they cannot follow the most simplest of laws in posting their DOT or MC number on their website, they might have trouble following the rest of them.
As one Scammer stated in court that it is tough following all of the different rules that is why he did it.

Also there should be no deposit. If they ask for a deposit, MOVE ON!

Registrant:
Movers Choice Moving and Storage

21172 E Ida Ave
Centennial, Colorado 80015
United States

Administrative Contact:
Hershcovich, Rita choicemoving@live.com
21172 E Ida Ave
United States
+1.3039619767

Technical Contact:
Hershcovich, Rita choicemoving@live.com
21172 E Ida Ave
United States
+1.3039619767

According to the SOS of Colorado they also have a legal name of
A-Class Trucking

Name : MOVER'S CHOICE MOVING & STORAGE
USDOT Number : 1339982
MC # : 529897
Address : 21172 E IDA AVE
CENTENNIAL, CO 80015
Mailing Address : Same as above
Telephone : (720)339-2301
Fax : (303) 662-0989

Safety and Insurance

Safety Rating : Not Rated
Review Date :
Most recent Safety Rating Data
Licensing & Insurance Status : Registered
Most recent Insurance Data

Fleet Size

Number of Trucks : 1
Number of Tractors : 1
Number of Trailers : 1
Legal Name:
DBA Name: A-Class Trucking Llc
Mover's Choice Moving & Storage
Vehicle Miles Traveled:
VMT Year: 10,000
DOT#: 1339982 Power Units: 2
MC or MX#: DUNS Number:
Address: 21172 E Ida Ave
Centennial, CO 80015 Drivers:
Carrier Operation: 4
Interstate
Telephone:
Fax: (720) 339-2301
(303) 662-0989 Passenger:
HM: No
No
Email: rih1973@hotmail.com HHG:
New Entrant Yes
No
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

phantom27

Postby phantom27 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 am

Well here's how it went!

Moved a three room apartment from Phoenix, AZ to Sweet Valley, PA. After looking on line for movers that wouldn't require a fee that included our molars and despite the dire warnings about moving scams we decided to go with Movers Choice Moving and Storage. They provided a detailed cost estimate based on my description of the contents of the apartment and a firm price per pound for any overage. This estimate was emailed to us for electronic signature and we gave them a deposit via credit card, a precaution I took in case this WAS a scam.

On the agreed upon date they arrived at the scales (We asked to witness the truck-empty as well as truck-full weigh-outs and they readily agreed.) about 45 minutes late BUT they called me to keep me apprised of this so I wasn't in the dark. Miguel and his crew (Three men altogether) were courteous and professional. We had packed most everything beforehand so they were mostly concerned with numbering, padding and loading our rather heavy furniture and the boxes. We did require them to pack the mirrors and provide boxes for same. This was an extra $30. The weigh-out was about 800 pounds more than anticipated and I had to pay sixty-eight cents per pound on the overage plus a bit more fuel surcharge but all of this had been agreed on beforehand so no surprises at all. We got a complete and numbered inventory.

We were given a delivery window, signed off the (anticipated) paperwork and departed for home.

About a week later I called them wanting to know of progress. This is where the "fun" began. Phone calls were answered by an answering service, return calls were spotty, and no one seemed to know exactly where our stuff was or when it would be delivered. I began to worry.

After about a week of this I was told the furniture etc. was on it's way. A few days later, checking up, I was told that the truck had broken down in Illinois. I was promised a call back that day. Never got it. By now I was REALLY worried!

After several calls and a few days I got a call back that the furniture would be there next day. It was. We paid the remaining balance and the unloading began. Eugene and his helper were prompt, pleasant and did a nice set-up job on what they were required to do. All of our items arrived in one piece and were checked off on the inventory as they were unloaded with just one minor problem. A small piece of the inside wood frame on the recliner had been broken. TV's etc. were all fine.

In the final analysis the only REAL problem this company has is communication. To say it was horrible is an understatement, but in the end we saved about a thousand dollars over the best estimate from a national chain, several of which we had give us "On Site" estimates. If Movers Choice Moving and Storage wants to be "Big Time" they need to improve their in-transit customer service and information, but other than that the experience was good and I'd use them again.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Honestly? I think you lucked out in a situation that for many other customers has led to major problems besides communications issues. For that, I am glad, and also we're really appreciative that you came back to let us know how it went. Information like this is important.

Did they give you weight tickets for that 800 pounds overweight?

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Who were the companies that did the pick-up and delivery? They only have 2 trucks, and they used (at least) 2 trucks on this move.

I think it is also very important to note that they estimated 2000 LBS, and the final weight was 2800 LBS - this is a huge difference.

I agree - you were very lucky.

phantom27

Postby phantom27 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm

To reply to the last two comments:

1) Yes I got weight tickets both in and out. I was right there when the (Certified) scale attendant handed them to the driver who then handed them to me.

2) Remember - the 2000lb estimate was based on MY description to Mover's Choice Moving and Storage's representative. Our furniture is solid wood thus it was heaver than I thought. Also, we shipped over eighty pieces altogether. Can't blame them for that.

Was I "lucky?" Perhaps, BUT we did our homework too, investigating more than 15 separate companies before we made our choice. To me, this shows that IF you do some homework you CAN get a deal in a moving company. BTW - The truck that delivered had four loads on, all for Mover's Choice. And you have to give them props for honesty, integrity and professionalism EXCEPT in communication. They're somewhat poorly managed in that department but hopefully they'll improve and that alone shouldn't stop people from giving a small business a shot.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:57 pm

You said they had four loads on it all for Movers Choice. Was it a Movers Choice Truck? If not which company did the haul?
Good review by the way.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

phantom27

Postby phantom27 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks MovingHelper!

There was one load for NY state around Syracuse that the guys delivered the day before in a snow storm! Then there was ours and two for NJ.

The combo used was an 80+ footer that was made for moving - four sets of side doors and all that on the van - leased by Mover's Choice from Eugene, an independent driver from Arizona. Power was a big and relatively new Freightliner. Eugene leased the power from a company in Fairlawn, NJ but as he pointed out, the unit stayed with him and he would head back to AZ after the NJ deliveries. I saw the Mover's Choice papers as, being a NJ native, I was trying to help him take the most direct yet truck friendly route to Rte. 80 and beyond from our very rural digs. The van wasn't pretty; it looked like an Allied or Mayflower but it was in white primer, but the rubber was good and there was no rust. The power was really pretty!

It was also kind of funny as when Eugene initially called with schedule on delivery morning (I had his cell number the day before courtesy of Mover's Choice) he was near Sayre, PA. I tried to tell him NOT to take the most GPS direct route as that entailed some REALLY interesting back and mountain roads but he was dead set on driving his GPS. I have to admit that as well as being a nice guy, Eugene is one HELL of a driver! In his final leg he got that behemoth over-the-road rig down a curvy mountain road from Lopez, a road that gives pause to those in four-wheelers and stabbed it backwards into our drive off the main road in one try!

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Actually, I can blame them for giving an estimate that is way off. That is their job, not yours.

I can also blame them for doing a lot that is illegal. Unless the truck had their information on it, that was also illegal, and it sounds like they brokered the jobs to Eugene (unless Eugene is an employee of theirs).

So yes, you got very lucky. They could have just as easily illegally brokered the job to Bill or Bob, or Ofer, who could have handled the job very differently. In the slow winter months, they might be able to pick and choose the better folks to broker to, but not in the busy summer months.

As an aside, while I'm not saying this company is a scammer (but I am saying they are doing a lot that is flat out illegal), many scammers will do a good job or two in the slow months to get a couple of happy customers who will then try to convince others that is was not pure luck that led them to a good deal. So keep this in mind while you toot the horn of a company that can't follow the laws. It has nothing to do with your shopping skills.

Having said all of that, I do appreciate you coming here and giving your review, and I'm happy it all worked out well for you. If you have ever considered buying a lottery ticket, now would be a good time - your luck is running high.

jamie.cragle@gmail.com

Postby jamie.cragle@gmail.com » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Griffin Allied wrote:
phantom27 wrote:If we go with them we'll do all that. The house is the owner's, typical of a small business to have office at home. Apparently they were operating intrastate for most of those five years.

Thanks for the advice. We'll see what happens.

I think the rest of us already know whats going to happen, but please do keep us posted.

Hi, well I did use movers choice out of co. I would use them again. Yes they are a mom and pop operations but after giving me an estimate that was much less then the actual cost for me to do it and one of the other contractors lost my 60" TV and refused to pay for it movers choice stuck to the original price and replaced my TV. It started out shacky. They didn't pick up on the day they said and they didn't realize that my move was from WY to AK (Alaska). They thought I was moving to Arkansas. So the price they charged me I don't think even paid for the boat trip. Then the contractor that lost my TV (big corporate) refused to pay for it and she ate that as well. She stood behind her word followed through with what she said she was going to do and I will be using them again in a couple of months for a much bigger move.
Thanks to rita and her staff for all the that you did. I know I wasn't easy to deal with but you guys were great. Five stars. Please call anytime if you have any concerns about them I would be glad to tell you about my move. Good and bad.

Jamie Cragle
1-307-689-4224

jamie.cragle@gmail.com

Postby jamie.cragle@gmail.com » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:30 pm

Noone wrote:Actually, I can blame them for giving an estimate that is way off. That is their job, not yours.

I can also blame them for doing a lot that is illegal. Unless the truck had their information on it, that was also illegal, and it sounds like they brokered the jobs to Eugene (unless Eugene is an employee of theirs).

So yes, you got very lucky. They could have just as easily illegally brokered the job to Bill or Bob, or Ofer, who could have handled the job very differently. In the slow winter months, they might be able to pick and choose the better folks to broker to, but not in the busy summer months.

As an aside, while I'm not saying this company is a scammer (but I am saying they are doing a lot that is flat out illegal), many scammers will do a good job or two in the slow months to get a couple of happy customers who will then try to convince others that is was not pure luck that led them to a good deal. So keep this in mind while you toot the horn of a company that can't follow the laws. It has nothing to do with your shopping skills.

Having said all of that, I do appreciate you coming here and giving your review, and I'm happy it all worked out well for you. If you have ever considered buying a lottery ticket, now would be a good time - your luck is running high.

Hi, I don't believe they are scammers. I would like to tell you that I have moved all over the USA and overseas. But I never had a moving company stick to their price and make sure I was satisfied with the results. I do believe that movers choice is just trying to give the best quality of work she can to her customers. Again I would like to say, they did right by me and hope everyone that goes through them has as good of an opinion as I do. Trust me I thought this all would be a battle but it really wasn't and I was happy in the end.

Jamie Cragle

jamie.cragle@gmail.com

Postby jamie.cragle@gmail.com » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 pm

phantom27 wrote:Thanks MovingHelper!

There was one load for NY state around Syracuse that the guys delivered the day before in a snow storm! Then there was ours and two for NJ.

The combo used was an 80+ footer that was made for moving - four sets of side doors and all that on the van - leased by Mover's Choice from Eugene, an independent driver from Arizona. Power was a big and relatively new Freightliner. Eugene leased the power from a company in Fairlawn, NJ but as he pointed out, the unit stayed with him and he would head back to AZ after the NJ deliveries. I saw the Mover's Choice papers as, being a NJ native, I was trying to help him take the most direct yet truck friendly route to Rte. 80 and beyond from our very rural digs. The van wasn't pretty; it looked like an Allied or Mayflower but it was in white primer, but the rubber was good and there was no rust. The power was really pretty!

It was also kind of funny as when Eugene initially called with schedule on delivery morning (I had his cell number the day before courtesy of Mover's Choice) he was near Sayre, PA. I tried to tell him NOT to take the most GPS direct route as that entailed some REALLY interesting back and mountain roads but he was dead set on driving his GPS. I have to admit that as well as being a nice guy, Eugene is one HELL of a driver! In his final leg he got that behemoth over-the-road rig down a curvy mountain road from Lopez, a road that gives pause to those in four-wheelers and stabbed it backwards into our drive off the main road in one try!

Yea, they did the same thing at my place. I told them the directions and told them not to take the GPS route and well he got lost and I had to go find him. Lol. But your right their drivers are pretty good. Lol

jamie.cragle@gmail.com

Postby jamie.cragle@gmail.com » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm

phantom27 wrote:To reply to the last two comments:

1) Yes I got weight tickets both in and out. I was right there when the (Certified) scale attendant handed them to the driver who then handed them to me.

2) Remember - the 2000lb estimate was based on MY description to Mover's Choice Moving and Storage's representative. Our furniture is solid wood thus it was heaver than I thought. Also, we shipped over eighty pieces altogether. Can't blame them for that.

Was I "lucky?" Perhaps, BUT we did our homework too, investigating more than 15 separate companies before we made our choice. To me, this shows that IF you do some homework you CAN get a deal in a moving company. BTW - The truck that delivered had four loads on, all for Mover's Choice. And you have to give them props for honesty, integrity and professionalism EXCEPT in communication. They're somewhat poorly managed in that department but hopefully they'll improve and that alone shouldn't stop people from giving a small business a shot.

I agree, all in all I believe I would refer them to my mother or anyone else. Small company but she is trying and she is doing a good job. Glad to hear someone else used them. I contracted them in Nov of last year and I couldn't find anything really on them. I am happy with the choice I made.

Jamie Cragle

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

But I never had a moving company stick to their price and make sure I was satisfied with the results

You have obviously not used a good quality company. I have had very few problems with any of my customers in the moving industry. Maybe 2 or 3 over 5 years.

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

jamie.cragle@gmail.com

Postby jamie.cragle@gmail.com » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Actually I have in the 90's. But when you have a bad move and they make it right that is when it counts. Everything that could have went wrong did but they were honest, straight forward and made sure I was taken care of. I wasn't left out in the cold and them shrugging their shoulders at me. And I would think that people want to know about the bad moves, not because they did me wrong but because they made it right. When the chips are down your not left holding the bag.

Return to “Open Community”