Movers Choice Moving and Storage, Colorado

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BigLeeCalif

Re: Movers Choice Moving and Storage, Colorado

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 pm

phantom27

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 am Post subject: Re: Movers Choice Moving and Storage, Colorado Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Well here's how it went!

Moved a three room apartment from Phoenix, AZ to Sweet Valley, PA. After looking on line for movers that wouldn't require a fee that included our molars and despite the dire warnings about moving scams we decided to go with Movers Choice Moving and Storage. They provided a detailed cost estimate based on my description of the contents of the apartment and a firm price per pound for any overage. This estimate was emailed to us for electronic signature and we gave them a deposit via credit card, a precaution I took in case this WAS a scam.

On the agreed upon date they arrived at the scales (We asked to witness the truck-empty as well as truck-full weigh-outs and they readily agreed.) about 45 minutes late BUT they called me to keep me apprised of this so I wasn't in the dark. Miguel and his crew (Three men altogether) were courteous and professional. We had packed most everything beforehand so they were mostly concerned with numbering, padding and loading our rather heavy furniture and the boxes. We did require them to pack the mirrors and provide boxes for same. This was an extra $30. The weigh-out was about 800 pounds more than anticipated and I had to pay sixty-eight cents per pound on the overage plus a bit more fuel surcharge but all of this had been agreed on beforehand so no surprises at all. We got a complete and numbered inventory.

We were given a delivery window, signed off the (anticipated) paperwork and departed for home.

About a week later I called them wanting to know of progress. This is where the "fun" began. Phone calls were answered by an answering service, return calls were spotty, and no one seemed to know exactly where our stuff was or when it would be delivered. I began to worry.

After about a week of this I was told the furniture etc. was on it's way. A few days later, checking up, I was told that the truck had broken down in Illinois. I was promised a call back that day. Never got it. By now I was REALLY worried!

After several calls and a few days I got a call back that the furniture would be there next day. It was. We paid the remaining balance and the unloading began. Eugene and his helper were prompt, pleasant and did a nice set-up job on what they were required to do. All of our items arrived in one piece and were checked off on the inventory as they were unloaded with just one minor problem. A small piece of the inside wood frame on the recliner had been broken. TV's etc. were all fine.

In the final analysis the only REAL problem this company has is communication. To say it was horrible is an understatement, but in the end we saved about a thousand dollars over the best estimate from a national chain, several of which we had give us "On Site" estimates. If Movers Choice Moving and Storage wants to be "Big Time" they need to improve their in-transit customer service and information, but other than that the experience was good and I'd use them again.
[quote

My first question is if you have a problem with this company why are you posting the original threadstarter's post almost word for word.

The only thing I see different is you say you moved from Tucson to Astoria.
[/quote]
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 am

This posting was in response to a Spam Post seeking drivers for Big Star Movers that has since been removed for self promotion. But I wanted the information to remain.

You are not allowed to self promote on this site.
And by the way the real name of the business is
Big Star Services

It is not registered as Big Star Movers or Big Star Moving

No interstate Authority under that name. But they only advertise for local moving.

Filing Information
Document Number P02000035950
FEI/EIN Number 371429470
Date Filed 03/28/2002
State FL
Status ACTIVE
Principal Address
105 PLUMAGE LANE
WEST PALM BEACH FL 33415 UN
Changed 05/30/2012
Mailing Address
105 PLUMAGE LANE
WEST PALM BEACH FL 33415
Changed 02/23/2005
Registered Agent Name & Address
PAMPHILE, SERGE
105 PLUMAGE LANE
WEST PALM BEACH FL 33415 US
Address Changed: 10/13/2003
Officer/Director Detail
Name & Address
Title MR
PAMPHILE, SERGE
105 PLUMAGE LANE
WEST PALM BEACH FL 33415
Annual Reports
Last edited by Movinghelper on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:38 am

Hang on, guys, those are older issues. MichealP came here at the bottom of page 3 to give more details of his current issues.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I understand MM but the post at the bottom of page 3 is word for word in the latter part of the original poster, down to the name of the driver, and the truck breaking down.

We want to hear his issues in his own words, not those of someone else, even if their situation was identical.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Michaelp

Postby Michaelp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 am

Sorry folks did not mean to get your truck "Jack Knifed" Spoke with them again today and they said the furniture will be here by the 13th of march...so 1 and 1/2 months later? But wait they will give us a $30 dollars discount for late arrival... ha ha wanna bet it is going to be more than $30... Spoke to the owner yesterday and she gave me the run around also. when I informed them of legal action all of a sudden things change and they find another truck to deliver the items...Hmmm
Mike

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 am

Michael,

Moving companies have (I believe) 30 days from the latest day on the contract to deliver your goods. So while they are being delayed, and it's a pain in the neck, there isn't much to do at this point. (If I am wrong, one of the interstate pros will jump in).

If your goods take longer, or you feel they are unfairly raising the cost, or trying to do something illegal, you can contact move-rescue.

Please try to give us a better account of the whole procedure, in your own words - this way we can better understand your situation and offer help.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 am

According to 49 USC the term reasonable dispatch is as follows.

Reasonable dispatch means the performance of transportation on the dates, or during the period, agreed upon by you and the individual shipper and shown on the Order For Service/Bill of Lading. For example, if you deliberately withhold any shipment from delivery after an individual shipper offers to pay the binding estimate or 110 percent of a non-binding estimate, you have not transported the goods with reasonable dispatch. The term “reasonable dispatch” excludes transportation provided under your tariff provisions requiring guaranteed service dates. You will have the defenses of force majeure, i.e., superior or irresistible force, as construed by the courts.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Michaelp

Postby Michaelp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:30 pm

The moving contract said it would be delivered within 21 working day..so yeah guess it is a month until delivery :shock:
Mike

needtomoveAZ

Postby needtomoveAZ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 pm

I was considering using them for my move and came across this posting.

I know of all the concerns about small operation movers but I am on a tight budget and am moving a studio. The bigger companies are charging me up of $2500 assuming a min of 2000 lbs. If I were to think of it, my stuff would probably value at slightly over 3k and I would rather dump them and buy new if I were to spend the same on shipping... so my search for cheaper alternatives.

What confuses me is, all the posts here refer to the same MC# and DOT# but when I went to the dot.gov and protectyourmove.gov, they both show the fleet size is 28, NOT 2.

Does that change anything? Could they still be just brokers?
The agent I spoke to assured that the pickup and drop off will be on their truck but its definitely possible he was just saying what I wanted to hear.

Please help!

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

If you look at my posting date, I copied exactly what Protectyourmove stated at the time. Since that post it changed to 28 trucks. It could be they franchised out to include another agency or combined haulers under one name, bought 26 more truck or leased them.

They are all straight trucks also. Could be various sizes. There are not Big Rigs for cross country.

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Also on Safer it still states 4 drivers. Each driver must pass a DOT Physical so they keep a good record of the drivers.
It also shows 28 trucks. I guess a lot of them are sitting idle with 4 drivers.

USDOT# 1339982 Power Units: 28
DBA Name: Mover's Choice Moving & Storage Vehicle Miles Traveled: VMT Year:2011 10,000

Address: 5219 Monroe St
Denver, CO 80216 Drivers:4
Carrier Operation: Interstate
Telephone:
Fax: (877) 894-5990
(720) 398-3454 Passenger:
Subject to Placardable HM Threshold: No
No
Email: rita@moverschoiceusa.com Household Goods:
New Entrant: Yes
No

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 pm

I know of all the concerns about small operation movers

There is no real concern on small operation movers or mom and pop operations. There are some real good ones out there.

It also appears that either they have been informed by our post here on making sure they are in accordance with the law and making sure they have their DOT number on their site. They have corrected that as of this post.

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Pros, what is required in the ways of proof when submitting your number of trucks and drivers?

Michaelp

Postby Michaelp » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Well the saga continues..our furniture has not left phoenix yet and it has been 6 weeks,, Now they want an additional 1,200 as the weight had supposedly increased.. when Our binding contract on says we owe $500.. What a mess
Mike

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Check you PM inbox.

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”