Moving from San Francisco CA to Raleigh NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
orestesdd

Moving from San Francisco CA to Raleigh NC

Postby orestesdd » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

In the next few months, I will move from San Francisco, CA to Raleigh NC. I currently live in a 2 bedroom rental apartment, and I will possibly move to a similar apartment in Raleigh NC. A good friend of mine who moved from SF to Denver a few years back recommended me to use United Van Lines. Is this a good company? I have also researched a few other companies like "National Van Lines", "Allied Van Lines", and "Air 1 Moving & Storage". Some of these companies have gave me a ballpark estimate of about $3000.00. Can anyone point me out to a good reliable company? I don't trust any, for even "United" has a few complaints around the Internet. Thanks.

MusicMom

Re: Moving from San Francisco CA to Raleigh NC

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 am

United Van Lines may have a few complaints around the internet, but they have thousands of trucks in motion between hundreds of local agents nationwide, so those complaints are a miniscule percentage of overall moves. Do you know the nake of the closest agent to your current home?

Other than Air 1, which is in no way comperable and really should be dropped, the others would be considered similarly to UVL. They're major van lines with a network of agents. You's have your Origin Agent, the one who comes to your house to do the estimate, and the Dedtination Agent, which delivers. The driver inbetween would be an employee if the van line, and your load would he covered by the van line's authority and insurance start to finish.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:14 pm

If you can find one company, especially a reputable one, out there that doesnt have any complaints against them, then holy hell, send us their name. All companies are going to have complaints. Especially your good reputable ones. These are human beings, not machines moving you (well other then the truck). Accidents happen. Things get broke, scratched, chipped, dented. How these companies take care of you, work with you on filing a claim, getting it processed and check returned in a timely matter can make a bad experience a decent experience.

Point, your not going to find a perfect company with no complaints. But you will find some great companies out there that even with complaints and damage, still take care of their customers.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

orestesdd

Postby orestesdd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 pm

MusicMom wrote:United Van Lines may have a few complaints around the internet, but they have thousands of trucks in motion between hundreds of local agents nationwide, so those complaints are a miniscule percentage of overall moves. Do you know the nake of the closest agent to your current home?

Other than Air 1, which is in no way comperable and really should be dropped, the others would be considered similarly to UVL. They're major van lines with a network of agents. You's have your Origin Agent, the one who comes to your house to do the estimate, and the Dedtination Agent, which delivers. The driver inbetween would be an employee if the van line, and your load would he covered by the van line's authority and insurance start to finish.

Well a friend of mine, who recommended me United, found the agent he used for his move from San Francisco to Denver. Here is the info he gave me:

My friend Mike wrote:I found it in a file folder! The agent was Rossiter Relocation Services. The person's name was Jeff Gunier. Agent number 0786. Phone number 800-272-0786. Located in Livermore.

I also found this video in youtube:

Rossiter Relocation Services Youtube Clip

and found its web site here:

Rossiter Relocation Services Web Site

Has anyone used these services? By the way, I will try to get an in-home estimate from this particular United agent as well as Moovers Inc. which I used before when I moved within San Francisco a few years back. I will appreciate any other comments. Thanks.

orestesdd

Postby orestesdd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm

MusicMom wrote:United Van Lines may have a few complaints around the internet, but they have thousands of trucks in motion between hundreds of local agents nationwide, so those complaints are a miniscule percentage of overall moves. Do you know the nake of the closest agent to your current home?

As I reading your comments for a second time, it seem I should drop "Air 1" from my list of considerations. It seems that United could be my best bet . One more thing, do you have any opinion about Moovers Inc.? I used it in the past as I stated in my other post. Anyhow, thanks.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 am

Well a friend of mine, who recommended me United, found the agent he used for his move from San Francisco to Denver. Here is the info he gave me:

My friend Mike wrote:
I found it in a file folder! The agent was Rossiter Relocation Services. The person's name was Jeff Gunier. Agent number 0786. Phone number 800-272-0786. Located in Livermore.

Sorry I didn't get in on this thread earlier. I just got back from vacation Monday, and the last 5 days of it were spent in the Bay Area.

Rossiter is a good company. I know the Vice President, and the General Manager.

The Vice President is Trish Rossiter, and the GM is Gary Luoma.
Mention that you were referred by Lee Williams at Hidden Valley.
Even though you're moving from SF, ask if they can send someone from the Livermore office.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

orestesdd

Postby orestesdd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:

My friend Mike wrote:
I found it in a file folder! The agent was Rossiter Relocation Services. The person's name was Jeff Gunier. Agent number 0786. Phone number 800-272-0786. Located in Livermore.

Sorry I didn't get in on this thread earlier. I just got back from vacation Monday, and the last 5 days of it were spent in the Bay Area.

Even though you're moving from SF, ask if they can send someone from the Livermore office.

Thank you very much. I will mention you as a referral. I will keep in mine to ask them to send someone from the Livermore office to do my in-home moving estimate. By the way, my friend, Mike, was really very satisfied with this United agent when he moved from SF to Denver a few years back.

orestesdd

Postby orestesdd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:43 pm

OK, tomorrow someone from Livermore will come to quote me my moving cost. I just wonder if I pay up front, or after my furniture is delivered in Raleigh NC.

By the way, I plan to move out by 3/30, but I cannot move in until 4/20. I plan to ask to store my things until 4/21 in which day I expect to get my things. I want to do this this way so that I can inspect my new apartment, and take pictures before any thing gets inside, and thus I can complain of any little problems to management. Could someone give me a hint about what to expect from the moving companies to my first question above? Thanks.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Please see my reply on your other thread. You really should keep them combined so I will copy and past my reply on here.

With United Van Lines and a lot of other reputable companies no payment or down payment is needed. Payment will be required prior to them unloading your belongings at the destination address.

The best way to do your move and the most cost effective is as follows.

Do a local move to storage in their warehouse for 30 days. This is usually the cheaper rate. Payment for the local move and the storage will be due at that time.

When they get the weights from that move. Have them redo the estimate as a bound estimate. This way you will know exactly what is owed on the delivery and there will be no changes on it. If you need more time you can adjust that as well at the origin.

Payment will need to be made for this move upon arrival at the destination.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 am

Same:
Good advice from Movinghelper. Storing at origin is generally less expensive.
However, storing at destination gives you the advantage of having a guaranteed delivery date rather than a delivery spread (consecutive days that the mover chooses from to deliver). The delivery spread is determined by the size of your load. Larger loads have shorter spreads.

Call three reputable companies for in-home estimates, and be sure to have this discussion with each of the estimators that come to your home.
Specifically, ask each for separate estimates to store at origin and at destination, and when payment is expected for each plan.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

orestesdd

Postby orestesdd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:03 am

After moving to Raleigh NC, and using UNITED as my moving company, I cannot recommend it. They lost more than a few items and because of haste, I did not go over the item list when my things got delivered in Raleigh. Thus, I stupidly assumed that all the boxes where there. However, after opening all the boxes later on, I found out that items where missing; for instance, my Nintendo Wii with all the controllers was not delivered and I few blu-ray movies were missing too, movies which now cannot be replaced, for they are out of print. A few other items were missing, thing I remembered. Anyhow, I filed a claimed for the missing items, but the claimed was denied. It was my mistake not to go over each box as each was delivered and reviewed the lottery sheet to see if boxes were missing. This is the reason for the denied, for I assumed all the boxes were delivered.

Again, I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS "UNITED" COMPANY TO ANYONE; THUS, POTENTIAL CUSTOMER, BE AWARE! JUST A FRIENDLY WARNING!

orestesdd

Postby orestesdd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 am

orestesdd wrote:
BigLeeCalif wrote:

My friend Mike wrote:

Thank you very much. I will mention you as a referral. I will keep in mine to ask them to send someone from the Livermore office to do my in-home moving estimate. By the way, my friend, Mike, was really very satisfied with this United agent when he moved from SF to Denver a few years back.

I CANNOT RECOMMEND "UNITED". PLEASE, READ MY OTHER POST FOR MY REASONS NOT TO RECOMMEND IT.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:09 pm

I am sorry you have lost or missing items on your shipment.

Did you ask United Van Lines to run a tracer to see if the driver may have inadvertently mis delivered them?

You made one of the most common mistakes that people make. No matter how busy you or the driver are, it is your responsibility and your right to make sure he or she slows down and checks each item off the inventory as it comes into your home.

Once you sign off on the inventory, you have basically told the van line that all items have been received.

Was your shipment loaded at your home by the over the road van, or did Rossiter have to make an agent pick up back to their warehouse.

If you want to send me and email with copies of your docs, I will email Trish and see if she can do some research.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”