Household Contents Left in Warehouse by Coleman/Allied

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
HelpMeMove

Household Contents Left in Warehouse by Coleman/Allied

Postby HelpMeMove » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:43 pm

I need advice on what recourse I have for what happened to me last week. I selected Allied (Coleman) to move me from Omaha to Portland, OR. The driver arrived with a nearly full load (four other households), and, as it turned out, was needing me to be 1700 pounds UNDER the estimated weight in order to be in compliance. I was 650 over, which I understand is within range (total weight 6700). When he was overweight, I was called to the warehouse to agree to what items would be left behind. The local agent could not tell me when or how these items would be shipped to me. This possibility was NEVER presented as a possible outcome of hiring Allied/Coleman or I would not have chosen them. The driver also claimed he did not know I had a grand piano. This has been a huge inconvenience, especially not knowing when or how the rest of the shipment will reach me. I have a feeling I will be asked to sign something when the driver unloads the majority of my possessions, and I am not inclined to sign anything. Do I protest the charge on my credit card until I have all my possessions? Thanks for the advice.

wood5150

Re: Household Contents Left in Warehouse by Coleman/Allied

Postby wood5150 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:31 am

What has happen with your shipment is what the industry calls an overflow. It happens on a daily basis. Dispatch managers for every major van line will try to max it's capacity within its fleet. You have one prior customer that goes over 4,000 lbs, it's a domino affect for all future customers that are schedule for the specific truck. Most cases the van line will have procedures set for this. I'm sure the local agency will do everything possible to deliver the overflow in a timely fashion. You will not be charged any additional funds. My recommendation is to speak with your move coordinator on a daily basis for updates.

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:46 pm

Technically you would have to pay for the portion you received and then pay the balance when the overflow arrives. The payment issue will most likely make the overflow arrive any sooner. In the end you will have to pay the costs in full. I recommend that you work harder with Allied and keep complaining. The squeaky wheel gets greased first.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Granted, when the truck was assigned, based on the weights provided the driver could pick you up. But as mentioned, one shipment goes over by 4000, another by 1000, and now your at the end of an overflow.
And the sales person has no idea at the time he or she is providing you the estimate, who else will be on that truck, how much weight or sequence of load. Thus there is no need to bring into the picture what an overflow is and thus scare a customer.

Now, if there was a significant weight difference between your quotes, lets say 16,000 and 22,000 pounds, then yes, a sales person should advise you of what an overflow scenario is.

Then again, the shipper looks at the person with the lowest weight and who mentioned nothing of an overflow as the honest one. And the one that estimated more weight and explained an overflow as the "doesnt know what they are talking about" one.

But yes, pay, pay pay. Of see more of a delay delay delay.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”