Are you planning to move in July?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BillAdams

Are you planning to move in July?

Postby BillAdams » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 pm

The good news is that it's not too late to call some movers for estimates, and reserve your dates.

If July shapes up to be anything like June, then most of the reputable moving companies will be booked to capacity by around July 1st.

It has been an exceptionally busy season so far, and as usual it is always the last weeks of each month that book up first.

Consumers looking to move at the end of July, August and September should be proactive. Once you find the mover you are comfortable with - book your dates. The biggest mistake you can make is to wait til your buyer gets their mortgage commitment before calling your mover.

Since most movers don't ask for deposits, there is no penalty to cancel or change your dates should your plans change or fall apart altogether. Some movers may ask for a modest deposit, but would refund it unless you cancel last minute.

Hope this helps a little.

***EDITOR'S NOTE: Bill has update this article, and the latest version can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25152
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Jeff.Walker

Re: Are you planning to move in July?

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:01 am

Like voting in Chicago..... Book early and often! :D

Great advice Bill. I hope you don't mind, but I posted a Facebook post about this with a link to your article.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:13 am

I don't mind, Jeff.
It's a public service annoncement meant for all to see :D
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:54 pm

I don't know about you guys but I've been getting anywhere from $500 to $1000 for loading and holding during our embargo's with express pickup. Beats the hell out of APU money.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:37 pm

This happens every year. Especially with all of the corporate and government moves happening. If you don't need to move, enjoy the summer and get a better deal on movers and dates after labor day.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”