Moving San Diego to Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
girlwhokeepsmoving

Moving San Diego to Chicago

Postby girlwhokeepsmoving » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Hey, thanks for all the good advice on this site. I've moved a ton (xcountry, within states) and luckily haven't had too many problems. I'm now moving to Chicago from San Diego and intend to hire a full-service mover. I've grown up, I guess. I've gotten quotes from both Ace and Sullivan and both seem good. There is a significant price difference, however, which makes me question both teams. Ace came in higher. Some reviews of Sullivan on other sites are questionable while Ace has good reviews but is less well-known. I want to pay a fair, accurate, price and not have any hassles with drivers complaining. I can't figure out if Sullivan is low-balling and will bother me later or if Ace is padding something. Which does not guarantee there won't be problems later.

Thoughts? Thanks!

BillAdams

Re: Moving San Diego to Chicago

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:07 am

I am not familiar with either company, but I might suggest getting a third estimate from another company in order to help find out which estimate is most accurate. The theory is that when you get three, and two are similar - the disssimilar one is wrong.

My experience tells me the estimator with the higher weight and packing is usually the one who is most accurate and wants to plan your move for success. The one with the lower weight and packing may just be trying to make a sale (and get paid).
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 pm

The difference could be in valuation, time frame for delivery, and also estimated weight and packing if required. Without knowing more and comparing apples to apples we cannot really answer a lot of the difference.

You could PM me the quotes and I can look at them or you can just post them on here with the weight information and extras that are on there.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

girlwhokeepsmoving

Postby girlwhokeepsmoving » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We're still making a decision. The weights are different, which is part of the problem. Either Sullivan underweighed or Ace overweighed. I will say Ace has a ton of boxes on the list and I'm not sure they are all necessary. Plus, we had to ask for an itemized inventory whereas Sullivan gave it to us as part of the proposal. We're asking for more explanation. Ace is preferable (as I mentioned previously) because they have an office in Chicago so the delivery would be their people rather than an United agent. I haven't had too many problems moving before, but since I'm paying top dollar this time I really don't want any issues.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:06 pm

It sounds like Sullivan did a full pack price and Ace did an itemized price list. A full pack price is all based on weight. An itemized pack list one based on viewing what the estimator thought needed packing. Sometime the full pack price is the way to go. But if you have items already packed an itemized pack list would be better. Be careful also with valuation protection since you will not be covered for owner packed items.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”