Payment when truck is loaded?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
avalanche85

Payment when truck is loaded?

Postby avalanche85 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Hello! I have a quick question about paying the movers - I just want to make sure I'm not being duped. Our family is moving from Philadelphia to the Bay Area, CA. We got 3 estimates and went with a moving company that got good reviews on this site. They had a good price, good pickup and delivery date, etc. The sales rep told me that I could pay with a credit card right before the truck was unloaded. The move is scheduled for the end of July.

Today someone with the company asked for my credit card info, stating the payment would have to be made when the truck was LOADED if I paid with a credit card. If I want to pay upon delivery, I have to use cash or cashier's check.

Has anyone heard about this practice? Is it ridiculous to require credit card payment at loading? What if the weight comes in lower than estimated and we are entitled to some savings? I can't imagine they'll issue me a credit... And of course it irks me that the sales rep told me point blank that I did not need to submit my credit card info until delivery.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jeff.Walker

Re: Payment when truck is loaded?

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:06 pm

I'll let the pros go into more detail about the "why", but I'd be more worried if they were asking for cash up front. It's fairly common practice to get your CC information up front when paying by credit card. My guess is that they won't hit the card until they unload the truck, which is again common practice. Depending on how long the sales rep has been with the company, he may or may not have known how it works. If its a reputable company, then I doubt he was intentionally trying to deceive you.

Keep in mind that if you do have a problem, you can always dispute the charges through your credit card company, although its best to try to work out any problems you may have with the moving company first.

Hope this helps.

avalanche85

Postby avalanche85 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Jeff -Thanks for your advice. I did say comment to my husband after the house visit that he seemed a little young and new to this compared to the other reps we saw...

The other person in the office was unequivocal about when the credit card would be charged: "Mayflower requires the credit card information before loading day, and it will be charged the day we pick up your household items. If you prefer to pay certified funds or cash, payment will be collected at delivery. "

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Hmm... well it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I'd still like you to check back in after one of the pro's comments on this topic.

Given who you chose to go with, I still think you are in pretty good hands. But I would feel better if a pro commented on this situation.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Typically we get all the credit card info. at or prior to loading. We then run the card while the truck is enroute. The reasoning is that if the driver gets to destination & then we run the card & the card is declined, for whatever reason, the customer may be faced with a storage situation because he can't get certified funds & the credit card is declined. By running the card enroute, there is still time "iron out" the declined credit card. In any event, the driver will need to be paid prior to unlaoding. 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for the assist Big Dog!

avalanche85

Postby avalanche85 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 pm

I guess that makes sense! Given the cost of our move, I'd have to pay close attention to my credit limit. Since I'd rather not pay until the truck shows up, I think I'll go with the Cashier's Check.

Thanks for your help Big Dog and Jeff!

Ava

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Not a problem, although I think Big Dog was probably more instrumental. :D

Please make sure to come back and let us know how it went!

avalanche85

Postby avalanche85 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:35 pm

I sure will! I'll check back in August with two reviews!

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Just to affirm what Big Dog said. He is correct. Usually any credit would be placed back on the card also if the weight or cost was less.

Sometimes a credit card allows you more protection and also some insurance coverage. So you might look at into this also.

You should have a rights and responsibilities booklet from your mover and you should read it.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Movers really prefer the cashiers check anyway. When you use a credit card all the participants share the cost of the merchant fees which can range between 2 and 5 percent. The one who hurts the most is the driver who gets paid by percentage of the load. Consider this. Say an owner operator had a $10000 linehaul and his normal percentage is 57 percent. Out of this $5700 he pays all his costs including fuel, labor, truck payment, insurance, maintenance, meals, tolls and the list goes on. None of the people he pays share in the cost for the merchant fees. The driver nets a profit of say $2000. The merchant fee is about $145 on his gross income which is over 7 percent of his net income. I do not think that most people even understand how much it really cost to accept a credit card in the moving industry.

You have to know the numbers when you are in business.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Return to “Open Community”