Raleigh to Wilmington NC move--seeking some answers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
akimbo

Raleigh to Wilmington NC move--seeking some answers

Postby akimbo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 am

I am moving from a town home to both a storage unit and to a home in Wilmington NC. I've contacted Hilldrup, Excel and Two Men and a Truck. I've read the reviews and I have a few questions, if someone could please assist. My husband and I have only ever moved with a corporate mover and didn't have to pay for it ourselves, so we are being very diligent now that we have to make the decisions ourselves. I believe my risks will be increased with Two Men, but not sure of the specifics.

Excel quoted $2400 non binding. The good news is that they are only charging $60 for the additional storage stop and their inventory of my home in the quote was pretty comprehensive, although I don't know where they get their weights from. I'm awaiting the other two quotes.

Quotes are weight-based so far and non-binding, so can I turn a non-binding into a binding?
What would be the pros/cons?
How much reliance should I put on their weight estimate and what do they base it off of? Will they actually weigh the truck?

Thank you for any assistance!

MusicMom

Re: Raleigh to Wilmington NC move--seeking some answers

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 am

You can ask if they can convert the non-binding into a binding. They could say no, but it's worth an ask.

A non-binding quote will result in the truck being weighed. If it is binding, the price is flat and will not change up or down so weighing is not required. If you trust the mover, and the mover came to see everything to be moved, then you can safely choose the binding and know for sure what your budget is going to be. A non-binding price can go either up or down if the estimator was off a little bit, but at least you'll know you get exactly what you paid for.

In the end, it depends on whether you're willing to take a risk for the possibility of saving a little bit of money in the end. Since you're concerned about price, I (a non-mover) would recommend going with the binding price so you won't have any surprises.

Of the 3 movers you listed, I would definitely put 3M&T at the bottom of the list for quality.

Michael

Re: Raleigh to Wilmington NC move--seeking some answers

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:10 pm

NC is a regulated state. All movers must follow the maximum rate tariff. Your move is dictated by weight and services rendered, such as packing, extra pick ups, fuel surcharge, etc. Everyone will use the exact same rate per mile, but then each mover is free to discount those numbers. I would be very skeptical of anyone discounting to high. Generally a 10-15% discount would be the norm, unless they are very slow and a 20% discount may come into play. Anything above that, you get what you pay for.

As far as type of pricing, non binding, not to exceed or bound. That is each movers call. Keep in mind they cant charge for what they cant see, so if a shuttle, long carry, stairs, etc, were necessary at destination, with a binding or not to exceed, you can still be charged.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”