Alternatives for smallers shipments?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jeff.Walker

Alternatives for smallers shipments?

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi everyone,
I know we've discussed this topic on the forums before, but can't find the original topics. Would anyone be willing to offer up some alternative modes of shipment for loads under 2,000 lbs?

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff

Big Dog

Re: Alternatives for smallers shipments?

Postby Big Dog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Sure. My van lines offers "containerization" of shipments up to 4,000#. Origin Agent picks up & crates the shipment. Van Lines contracts with a common carrier to take the crates to the destination Agent for final delivery to the residence. Works pretty well. 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks Big Dog, can you PM me a link with this information?

Thanks!
Jeff

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 am

No "link" per se. Shipper just has to contact any Allied Agent & ask about the "Allied Express Shipment". 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks! Any other options out there? This would be a *very* small move.

Jeff

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:35 pm

There are some alternatives but not always cheaper. It depends on what various costs will be. Here is a scenario I have done on small shipments, usually 500 to 1500 lbs. I arrange for the shipper to bring the shipment to an agents dock and have them palletize it or put it into liftvans. The agent will charge for this service. I then arrange for an LTL carrier to pick the shipment up and transport it to another agent in the destination city. Once there the shipper can either pay to have the agent deliver it to the residence or have the agent hand it out to the customer and they deliver it themselves. There are options where an LTL carrier will come to a residence and pick up a pallet that is properly banded and use a liftgate to put it into the truck and have the same service at the destination. The problem with this is that the pallet will be lowered to the street and there is not inside pickup or delivery. An example of cost from Harrisburg, PA to Los Angeles for 1000 lbs on a skid would be about $1100 using the liftgate pickup and delivery without an agent being involved. Add an origin agent for $250 to $300 and an agent at destination for the same amount you might spend $1500 to $1600. This of course in getting the right company involved to arrange the service. One important issue is that there is not damage protection that you will find for this type of service. LTL carriers only provide 10 cents per pound liability.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Great! Thanks!

Return to “Open Community”