late delivery - do I have any leverage?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cheerio

late delivery - do I have any leverage?

Postby cheerio » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:18 am

Sorry in advance if this comes up a lot! We're in the middle of our first move from Upstate New York to California. We've been working with a local Allied Vanlines affiliate near Rochester, NY. We were originally given a 1 week window from Aug 11-18 for delivery of our stuff, and they've just called us to say that delivery will be a couple days late. It's hardly a "scam" but it's a big inconvenience to arrive in California with kids and nothing in the house. Does this kind of thing happen all the time? Do we have any leverage to push them to deliver earlier or take money off the cost of the move? Or does this kind of thing happen all the time and we just need to roll with it?

Thanks!

Jeff.Walker

Re: late delivery - do I have any leverage?

Postby Jeff.Walker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:01 am

Hi Cheerio,
2 days is actually pretty good, given that we are in the middle of peak moving season. Everyone moves in the summer, and delays are common. While I can certainly understand your frustration, the moving company legally has up to 30 days to delivery your items, so unless you are right at the end of that window, you will probably not be compensated for your inconvenience.

I'd recommend grabbing a few items at the store to get you through a couple of days and allow for the delivery. Make sure you check your items while they are being delivered. Once you sign that delivery form you are essentially saying that your items have been delivered and in good shape. Make sure you get a good handle on their claims process if you do find any damage and follow it to the letter.

Let us know how it turns out.

- Jeff

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Depending on the weight of your shipment, you may be entitled to some compensation such as hotel, meals, etc. 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:46 pm

To cheerio,

After you get your delivery, contact the office for the booking agent and tell them you want to know the procedure for filing a delay claim. You have a family, so it's likely that you have enough weight to cover Allied's minimum shipment size requirement for that type of claim. Most major van lines pay out delay claims for late delivery when the shipment is 5,000 lbs. or more. Some van lines pay delay claims on late shipments of as little as 3,500 lbs. Your booking agent will be able to tell you what the threshold level is and whether or not you qualify for some reimbursement. If they say you are eligible ask them what type of documentation, receipts, etc. you are expected to submit (if any.)

If you do not get the answers you seek from the booking agent, call Allied Van Lines main number, ask for the claims department, give your shipment registration number and ask them to go over the delay claim procedure with you - directly.

Good luck with your move! :)

Return to “Open Community”