Seemingly bogus storage in transit charges

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Michael

Re: Seemingly bogus storage in transit charges

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:33 pm

neiman,

If they gave you a 55% discount, the numbers you mentioned earlier, are those already discounted? If they are not, you should be paying $2497.05 after discount.

And like I said, makes you wonder where all their heads are at. Its like passing the buck, I thought she would get the address, well I thought the the sales person was going to get it, well I thought the driver was going to call to get it and so on and so on.

Keep us posted. Have you tried contacting Bill, Ben or Dave Graebel at HQ in Denver??
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

neiman

Postby neiman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:04 pm

Michael,
The numbers I posted earlier do include the discount.

I do have a hard time believing that Graebel set off with 31,000 pounds of stuff without a specific delivery address. As far as I know, they did not call in transit for the address. Seems like they would want a customer to sign a waiver or something like that in this situation.

And I do know that my in-laws had the address they were moving to based on the date of the rental papers. I also can't understand how they signed the Bill of Lading without taking a close enough look to see the address wasn't on there.

I have not contacted Bill, Ben, or Dave Graebel yet. I'm thinking about the next step to take. Since the account is only in my FIL's name, if Graebel wants to pursue legal action for payment, they have to make a claim against the estate. As I understand it, setting up and closing the estate can take at least a few months. I think this could be a negotiating tool.

I'll let you know what happens. I think this website is fantastic! I wish I had found it before we moved this summer. Fortunately, our move went smoothly, expect for the packing crew in Denver. We ended up using ABF and were very satisfied with them. We also used Accelerated Services for shipping a car -- they were great and gave us a reasonable price, timely delivery and had a very conscientous driver.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:41 am

This is off topic, but I was wondering whether you would consider posting a little more about your move with ABF so I can add it to our ABF review thread on the sticky at the top of the messageboard. It would be helpful if you could tell where you moved to, how much space you used, and what you paid, in addition to who you used to load and unload and how that worked out (you said one part of the experience was bad). It doesn't have to be long - just a few sentences would be enough. Also, the auto transporter you used - can you give an address and a little more information about it? Thank you very much.

Sorry about your experience with Graebel. I agree with Michael that your best bet might be to go right to the top to the owner(s) of the company. You might be able to get them to agree to a reduced price in view of the special circumstances.

neiman

Postby neiman » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:10 am

Diane, I'll post here and you can paste it as needed. Hope that is ok.

We moved from Denver to Portland OR. Our ABF quote was for 16 linear feet for $1499, a price of $90 for each additional foot, and a minimum price of $1299. We paid an extra $75 for a ramp. Looking back at my bill, I just realized that they did not charge me for the ramp on either end (must be an error!). I also got $25 off the price for booking on-line. We ended up using 20 linear feet in part because of the poor loading (see below). I did make a few phone calls to their customer service number and every time they were patient and helpful -- I swear they must get asked the same thing over and over. They were courteous when picking up and dropping off the trailer and always arrived on the earlier side of their time estimate. Just be sure to wrap all of your belongs to prevent any damage from rubbing.

As to the packing....we used USA Packing by following a link on the ABF site. I wish I could give a better review because I think their intentions are good. The packers they contracted for us in Denver started out great but by the end of the day they did not do nearly as good a job packing the boxes or the truck. My spouse had to leave the house unexpectedly which left me keeping an eye on both the boxing and loading of the truck; I just couldn't do both. As a result, we had some damage to our furniture from rubbing. I photographed the damage and filed a claim with USA Packing. They were professional about it and did pay me for the damage but I had to remind them to send the paperwork and send the check. I honestly think this had more to do with staffing issues than trying to skip out on paying me. The movers they had arranged to unpack in Portland were great -- absolutely no complaints.

The auto transporter is Accelerated Services, www.autotrans1.com, at 7720 E. Belleview Ave, Ste B103; Greenwood Village, CO 80111. I called three companies for a quote and their quote was the lowest at $550. We were going to ship my FILs car from WI to OR and when I checked rates their rate was competitive. I also called them on the phone a few times and had good service each time. The car arrived in good condition when we expected it to (on the earlier side of the estimate). The driver called the day before to let us know when he expected to arrive (3 hr window) and then called when he was one hour from the drop-off point. The reciept also says Millennium Carriers Inc out of Graham WA -- I'm not sure how the two companies are connected. Anyway, had we not worked out something different with my FILs car, we would have been repeat customers!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:19 am

Wow . . . thanks for the prompt answer and all the detail. I will modify the ABF review slightly that you just added to our thread and also post the info about the auto transporter on our auto transporter thread. It sounds as if Accelerated was a broker and you got a good carrier.

I considered using one of the loading services mentioned on the ABF website but they were very pricey so I used two guys from a local moving company instead. Do you remember what you paid?

I would try approaching the president of Graebel if I were you. Yours is an unusual case that's unlikely to set a precedent where they would have to settle with other customers, and if they compromise with you it could bring them some good will via this website.

neiman

Postby neiman » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:27 am

Diane,
I just saw the ABF sticky so I posted my info there.

I paid USA packing $1239. The price there was less than the other links and much less ambiguous about what was included, additional charges, etc. Good advice about packing, too -- if only the Denver team would have been better.

re: Graebel....I will let you know what ends up happening. Both my husband and I would like to reach a compromise with them and just get this behind us and focus on my MILs other needs. The problem is that my MIL is dead set against giving them another cent. Because of the legal matters involved (namely fiduciary responsibility for the estate), we feel like we need all family members on board. :? I'll keep working at it. Would you suggest sending a letter to their attention?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:36 am

Hi - your MIL may not be thinking too clearly in view of everything that she has gone through, and admitting that your FIL dropped the ball (if he did) may seem like disloyalty to her. If and when everyone agrees, I believe the best thing would be to ask someone who knows the Graebel owners to approach them on your behalf. I don't know whether anyone who posts here knows them personally, but I think that may be the case. I think if you just send a letter it may get lost in the shuffle. You need an ombudsman-type person, in my opinion. I doubt very much whether they would just cancel the charges, but they might compromise.

neiman

Postby neiman » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:49 am

I, too, doubt they would cancel the charges and I wouldn't really expect them to. I think it would be reasonable to split the difference. I went over the invoice and realized that my in-laws paid short by about $175 for the original move so I know we should send them payment for that. It's the other $5,500 that is a little stickier! If they offered a compromise, I think my husband could eventually convince my MIL to just pay it and be done with it. I think that would end up being better for everyone.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm going to post this website under the resource section of a site for medical spouses -- it's a good resource for people who tend to have to move every few years.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:00 am

Thanks - what website is that? Please spread the word about MovingScam as much as you can. It doesn't advertise so we depend on word of mouth. I've been posting about it on messageboards populated by various professional and alumni groups - even on www.mothering.com! I'm always looking for new forums so please tell me if you know of any good ones. People on such sites move a lot and are frequently looking for moving companies. If we can reach people prior to next summer we can prevent them from becoming victims.

PacerFan577

Postby PacerFan577 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:37 pm

I wanted to relay a quick, relevant story about my recent move with Atlas...

When I originally got my estimate, I didn't have my destination address, so my estimator just got the zip code. Then, when I met with my move coordinator to sign the paperwork, I had my address so I gave it to her. When the driver showed up to pick up, the paperwork said "W/A" for destination, so I again gave him the addres. When my coordinator called to inform me my shipment would be delayed because of the hurricanes we had here in Florida, she again told me that they didn't have my address, so I gave it to her again. Then the driver called me the day before we had delivery scheduled and said "oh yeah, I don't have your address" so I gave it to him AGAIN.

So them not having your address on file could just as much be a lazy move coordinator not entering it into the system as it was your FIL not giving it to them.

Just a thought... let us know how it comes out.

Return to “Open Community”