1st timer (Hartford, CT to Denver, CO)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
connecticut

1st timer (Hartford, CT to Denver, CO)

Postby connecticut » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been engrossed by all the information offered by you since finding this site 4 hours ago for the first time. I think that the the service/support provided by you is phenomenal. Thanks!

I was wondering if any one can provide any comment on the four movers and their agents that I have started to work with for our relocation at the end of December from Hartford to Denver. They are:

Capitol Moving and Storage, United, South Windsor, CT
Salka & Sons, NAVL, Cromwell, CT
Amodio, Mayflower, New Britain, CT
Siracusa, Allied, Hartford, CT

Also, how important is it to secure a BNTE/GNTE quote? Two movers gave us nonbinding lower estimates for similar wts at 3700-4000 lbs. One mover gave a GNTE for a higher wt at 5000 lbs. Which is preferable? Is GNTE absolutely necessary? We were left with the impression that for a smaller move like ours, it's not as important (for reason I am not sure about, perhaps the sales agents are more confident about their wt estimates?). And one agent mentioned that most drivers prefer nonbinding quotes; would a GNTE be a deterrent to the "better" drivers?

Which is also the "safest" form of payment in general? CC vs Cashier's checks vs Personal checks (allowed by one company if tendered on the day of loading after the weighing since it would give the check enough time to be cleared before unloading.) What would you recommend?

Thank you for your time. Sorry for all the questions. Any information would be so greatly appreciated.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: 1st timer (Hartford, CT to Denver, CO)

Postby twalker » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:27 am

Hi connecticut,

I'm not familiar with the specific van line agents that you listed so I won't be able to comment on them. Maybe one or more of the professional movers here can step in and help out there.

I'm really not sure what the size of your load has to do with what kind of estimate you get, nor do I see why the driver would care. The salesman might care if he or she underestimates your weight and gives you a GNTE estimate because that would cut into the commission made off of the move. Remember that with a non-binding estimate the price of your move can go up but wont come down. With a GTNE estimate, your price can come down but wont go up; the price of your move will be base on the actual weight of your shipment, or the weight on the estimate- whichever is less.

Credit cards are probably the best form of payment, but remember that they will charge your CC the date of pickup. If you're not comfortable with that then a cashier's check (from your own bank) is the next best form of payment. If you go with a non-binding estimate and pay by cashier's check, then make sure that you are prepared to have two: one for the estimated amount, and one for 10% of the additional amount in case the weight is higher than estimated.

I hope that helps!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

tma1974

Postby tma1974 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:31 pm

If you take a non-binding estimate instead of a GNTE you are leaving yourself open for a lot of trouble on delivery. A GNTE is your protection that you will not have any additional charges. A non-binding estimate gives you no protection at all. The size of your move should not determine the type of estimate that you are given and as far as drivers preferring non-binding quotes that is a big red flag because what they are really saying is that the driver is hoping you go over so he gets more money in his pocket. Stick with companies that are giving you a GNTE and you should be just fine.

connecticut

Postby connecticut » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:16 pm

Thanks, Tim and tma for your prompt replies. In light of your recommendations, I am leaning heavily toward the GNTE bid from Salka and Sons, a North American VL agent in Cromwell, CT. Could you or perhaps Music Mom (she's so resourceful!) provide any insight into this company?

I am also wondering if it's standard in the industry for movers to present weight tickets on delivery, or if it is something that I need to ask for.

As far as credit card goes, one mover indicated that there would be a 4% surcharge for using a credit card, is this standard? Is he being upfront with the "hidden" cost that others didn't or is this a red flag about his company. This is the same salesman who left me the impression about drivers' preferences for nonbinding estimates.

Thanks,
Connecticut

tma1974

Postby tma1974 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:17 pm

You need to request to either view the weighings or be notified of the actual weight of you shipment. By law the estimators should have provided you with a copy of "Your rights and responsibilities when you move" if they did not request one from them or you can view it online at www.fmcsa.dot.gov/factsfigs/rights.htm It will help to answer your questions also. I would considier the credit card issue to be a big red flag. Credit card processing fees are consideder a "cost of doing business" and as such they should not charge you for that. A good company will eat the 2.9% that most merchant accounts charge.

connecticut

Postby connecticut » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:30 am

Thanks, tma1974.

I have decided that I am not to trust the aforementioned salesman. Another big red flag, I guess, would be when he relayed to us that he would just add 15% onto our nonbinding estimate in order to give me a BNTE. We had originally thought that that was ok since the one BNTE that we received had estimated a larger weight requirement, that this was a standard practice on the part of any agent to minimize financial liability for them. Too bad this guy represents United Van Lines (Capitol).

I think I will call another local United agent for an estimate. United seems to be the preferred major carrier of most people here. Has anyone heard anything about Barrieau Moving and Storage in Hartford?

Also, when choosing a local agent for an interstate move, does it matter if they have 36 trucks and 25 drivers vs. 8 trucks and 11 drivers? Would choosing the larger company ensure a more reliable pickup and delivery window. I am unfortunately moving during the Christmas/New Years season. I don't know if this itself presents more complications.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

P.S. I am confused by Tim's earlier statement that a nonbinding estimate will only go up, not down. Can you clarify? I thought that it was wt based.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:52 pm

Sorry connecticut, you're right about the non-binding estimate being weight based. I must have had a brain malfunction when I was typing that. :wink:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:11 pm

I agree with all that has been said - just want to note that people have posted opinions here that Amodio is not so hot (do a search).

I would tell Salka that others have estimated your weight at more than 1000 pounds less and because of that, you are hesitating - see whether they will give you a slightly lower GNTE quote. (Hopefully the rep isn't reading this.)

connecticut

Postby connecticut » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:43 pm

Two Quick Questions:
1. Any opinions on Allied Movers (Siracusa)?
2. Is it ok if the MC and DOT numbers associated with the local agent is inactive in Safersys under company profile? In the phone book, they used Allied's DOT and MC number.
Thanks to all, including music mom's reply to my pm, for your help so far.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:11 pm

Hi connecticut,

I am not familiar enough with that specific agent to respond in regards to thier reputation or business practices. I can tell you that a van line agent is allowed to use the van line's DOT and MC licenses for performing moving services. Some companies prefer to keep their own licenses, but there are plenty that would rather not keep up with the fees and just use the van line's instead.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

weem

Postby weem » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:55 am

Siracusa is ok----Maybe it's just me but I am seeing a trend where salespeople are adding a 10 to 15 % premium for binding estimates ---or ,worse yet , out and out lieing by basically giving non-binding estimates with the 10% half-truth. A non-binding estimate means you get your furniture for paying the estimate plus 10% on delivery----30 DAYS LATER THE REST OF THE BILL IS DUE. Micheal and other pros---please chime in!

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:29 am

To be completely correct, the bill is to be sent to the consumer no less than 30 days after the date of delivery, but otherwise I agree with everything you've said weem, including the trends in estimating practices. This from a non-pro.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:36 pm

I agree with Weem and Tim. I personally find it ridiculous that these companies have to add any % to a move to make it binding not to exceed. That just tells me that one, they are not properly trained, two, have not been in the business long, and three, their management have no faith in their abilities.

To be honest, the only thing I find hard to do sometimes is be accurate in what I think it will take to pack a household. Thats why it is always good to get to know your packers, how they pack, boxes they primarily use and so on. The less you know about how your crews do things, the less accurate a sales person will be. I mean furniture is furniture, how hard can it be to check off a double bed, a night table and dresser??? Not very hard.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

connecticut

Postby connecticut » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:05 am

Hi Everyone,
The salesman for Siracusa (Allied VL agent) was nice. I think by the time he came around (my fourth estimator), I knew what I was looking for and he was fine. He was actually the first salesman who actually physically had the Rights and Responsibility book for me.

Another quick question: Under their guranteed rate reduction claim, they mentioned that if the actual weight is less than the estimated weight, the GPP will be reduced by $46.38 cwt for the difference. What does cwt mean?

I know (through this site) that Allied uses a different tariff system than some of the others, what would be the reduction formula for other agents such as NAVL or United? Is it all standarized?

Thanks to all, Connecticut

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:51 am

Connecticut,

CWT means cubic weight. What you want to know is it per hundred pounds that it is reduced by minus the discount or is that the rate after discount?

And because United and NAVL use the 400 N tariff, its based on weight, and no real formula to determine your rate deduction, but they can go and show you what you save by shaving 500 pounds, 1000 pounds and so on.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”