moving from CA to PA; so far no company sounds good

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ajd

moving from CA to PA; so far no company sounds good

Postby ajd » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:06 pm

We are moving from CA to PA. Getting very frustated with finding moving companies. Feel like everyone is hiding something. So far I narrowed it down to 2 companies but still very unsure about them.

Bekins
20525 Nordhoff Street #58
Chatsworth, Ca 91311
(818) 882-7220

Now, this co was recommended by a friend who just moved from FL to CA and she had nothing but great things to say about it. I had them come out and givean estimate which was really hight and he didn't even see what we had in our closes and stuff. Granted it was a binding estimate. No lower or higher. He also did it by cubic feet. I also thought he was high balling the price which was to their advantage. But because they have been around for such a long time and seemed reputable I was going to go with them. Unti, I looked them up on BBB.... this particular one had horrible reviews. I also looked up the one my friend used in FL on BBB and they had a clean record. Why do the same companies have different reviews based on where they are located? So now I changed my mind about using them.

All American Van Lines World Wide Moving,INC.
8411 Canoga Avenue
Canoga Park CA 91304
(818) 993- 7673
DOT # 1010910
MC# 426350

Now, this company....the representative was really nice and very helpful. They have their DOT and MC #'s on thier website and recommend going to the BBB and checking out their file. Which isn't perfect but states that all complaints have been brought to their attention and properly addressed. They are also members of BBB. Also recommend checking out this website (movingscam.com). That's how I found out about it. So they sound great. But they still charge by cubic feet. So far I haven't talked to a CO that actually calculated by wieght.

The other problem is I feel like I'm searching for something that could be wrong with companies cause after reading and hearing about all these horror moving stories... I feel like no company is good. For instance this American Moving CO. Even though all the DOT , MC, BBB numbers and stuff are all good. There are a few other addresses that come up with their information. Not always the Canoga Park one. And when I called some of the other Phone# they were disconnected. When I called the Canoga Park office they said that was the only office and when asked about the other ones... they said they moved. Is that normal to move 3 times in the past 10 years? Like I said .... I could just be over annalyzing things.

This website is great but it just made me so much more paranoid with finding moving CO. Any suggestions. I'm so stressed out... we might just change our minds alltogether and rent a Budget or Uhaul and ship our cars. Which will be more expensive and very inconvienant.

Nancy

Re: moving from CA to PA; so far no company sounds good

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:15 pm

Oh please, keep looking!!! Bekins has a very bad rap with the BBB and should be eliminated.

Review the article on this site for how to find a mover, and look in your yellow pages for representatives from major van lines: United, North American, Allied, Mayflower, etc.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:22 pm

Rule out both of these companies that you are considering. Some of the Bekins agents in CA belong to Bekins Moving LLC, a group that recently went bankrupt and stiffed employees and suppliers. The Bekins agent that you're dealing with is probably in that group. Never go with any company that quotes by cubic feet. If the Bekins agent in Chatsworth really did that, it is even worse than I could have imagined. However, it's possible that the sales rep converted the cubic feet to pounds somewhere on your estimate. The other company you name is a known scammer and you should run away as fast as you can - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=830.

If cost is a concern and you would consider a U-Pack, We-Drive type move, I strongly suggest that you get a quote from Broadway Express (BE) at www.broadwayexpress.net. Since you seem to have two cars, I'm suggesting BE rather than ABF, which can't ship cars in its trailers. If you want, BE can ship one or both of your cars in the trailer along with your household goods. There are 57 mostly rave reviews of BE on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. You can hire a temporary labor agency such as LaborReady at www.laborready.com to help you load. Your cost with BE will probably be around 40% less than it would be with a legitimate full-service mover.

If you want to use a rental van, there are reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:07 pm

I would recommend you throw out Nancys suggestion of Mayflower and add Atlas to the mix.

Also, what you see here and what you hear out on the streets are primarily scam companies that pull all these horror stories you hear about. Can majors pull stunts like them, sure they can, but its very rare.

What this site tries to do is educate you on what and who to aviod for sure. When we can, we will direct you to companies to get estimates from. But we will never tell you who to move with.

As far as agents having good and bad BBB reports. Its as simple as the agent. If the agent is good, then of course they have a good BBB. If the agent is not good or has alot of complaints, then the bad BBB report. The mother companies are not members of each agencies BBB. Thus the different reports and why some have good reports and why others do not.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

annjend

Postby annjend » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:28 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast. It's been a stressfull time since we are moving in less than 3 weeks. Anyway, I am now looking into the We pack, they move route. I called Broadway express and they were very nice but the min space they charge for our move is 10 linear ft. Although, I'm not so familiar with how much that is .....I'm almost certain that we only need 6 ft if that. We really don't have much stuff. So that's possibly 4 extra ft. we have to pay for and are not even going to use. I've read the reviews posted on this website for this Co and it sounds great... but the price and space we are getting doesn't sound as comparable. They quoted us at $1834.00 And like i said earlier... we are not even going to use all of it. Maybe I should look into AFB. Although BE sounded much better.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:40 pm

ABF will be cheaper because it has a 5-foot minimum, so I think it would be worth getting a quote from them at www.upack.com. If you can take your things to a terminal, there is even a 3-foot minimum. I don't know what you're going to do with your cars, but someone just posted a good experience with this company moving a car from CO to OR--not as far as you're moving, of course:
neiman wrote:The auto transporter is Accelerated Services, www.autotrans1.com, at 7720 E. Belleview Ave, Ste B103; Greenwood Village, CO 80111. I called three companies for a quote and their quote was the lowest at $550. . . . The driver called the day before to let us know when he expected to arrive (3 hr window) and then called when he was one hour from the drop-off point. The reciept also says Millennium Carriers Inc out of Graham WA -- I'm not sure how the two companies are connected.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23411

weem

Postby weem » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:38 am

With all due respect to Micheal----the van line to throw out is northamerican----United,Allied,Mayflower and Atlas have the most consistent agent families.----In specific markets Wheaten, Global , Graebel and northamerican are as good---but they miss the mark in more areas---NO VAN LINE IS PERFECT IN THE SENSE THAT THEY ARE GREAT IN EVERY MARKET.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:45 am

On a movers' forum that I'm on, people were saying that North American sold a large part of its business to a group of its own agents recently and they seemed to regard this as a sign of financial weakness. Any comments from anyone?

Also, I talked with a Broadway Express driver recently who told me that Global had gone bankrupt (he was in Southern California). Any truth to that, weem?

weem

Postby weem » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:09 pm

Global went bankrupt years ago and ended up being bought by Sirva who owns Allied and Northamerican. Northamerican and Global use the same facility, same dispatch and Allied has managed to keep a distance from them. Financially Global and Northamerican are on a solid financial footing.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:26 pm

Last I heard Sirva was selling parts of the company back to NorthAmerica and trying to get out of what they had. This will be the fourth time in 15 years (maybe more) that North American has been sold and had new ownership.

And weem, Mayflower sucks, plain and simple. The only thing they have going for them is their parent company. No disrespect of course. Having worked for both sides thats just my opinion.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

weem

Postby weem » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:43 pm

Micheal,Micheal---The Atlas family after about 15-20 agents sucks (NOT REALLY,BUT). Granted Atlas has that many exceptional agents but the rest of the agent family is not up to par with the Mayflower family .Atlas is top-heavy.---I do however place Atlas in the top 4---Allied, United, Mayflower and Atlas---the rest have some exceptional agents but their average agents are weaker--ALL HAVE SOME ROTTEN AGENTS SOMEWHERE.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:37 pm

Okay guys, I can see that this has lots of potential of getting personal pretty damn fast. Let's not go there okay?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MichaelZ

Postby MichaelZ » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:45 pm

Damn Tim your no fun, lol.

But I will leave there, thats fine.

weem

Postby weem » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:25 am

Micheal--I apologize for expressing our differing views....We seem to agree on many points other than the relative merits of Mayflower and Atlas---love to argue but obviously this is not the proper venue...

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:30 am

Hey weem, there's no need to apologize for expressing different views (and this IS the place for that). It just seemed to me that it was about to turn personal and I'd rather that the good guys save those emotions for the bad guys. :wink:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “Open Community”