Moving from New Jersey to New York

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: Moving from New Jersey to New York

Postby Diane » Sat May 21, 2005 3:06 pm

Great answer, Nancy. I learned a lot from it. I ALSO feel more comfortable with smaller agents under certain circumstances. Now if you could only enlighten me about how long a straight truck is . . . :D
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 21, 2005 9:24 pm

Would that be the 23' "bobtail" as 23 calls them?

And do pro movers call the overhang a "Gramma's Attic" like UHaul does?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun May 22, 2005 12:05 am

I call straight trucks bobtails a lot too. They are basically bigger than a rental Uhaul-type truck, but do not require the license that a tractor trailer requires. So with the shortage of good drivers out there, we can get good employees trained on these smaller trucks a bit quicker. Long term, they don't make as much money as the tractor trailers, so eventually the guys graduate to the bigger trucks. I think they are 24' long. It's what most local movers us for in city moves. MM, we call that spot the attic too.

ecm

Postby ecm » Sun May 22, 2005 9:06 pm

22 to 27 feet long is what I see mostly. With the lower expense my boys make just as much if not more than a T/T driver. But they gotta work for it, they run two man teams and load 12-14k But who wants a Ny to Chicago lane.

JenM

Postby JenM » Sun May 22, 2005 9:14 pm

Nancy, Thank you SOOO Much for your reply. We'll definitely call and book them in the morning. I was going to check out two more places as per Diane's recommendation... but with date fast approaching and van lines getting so booked up... I'd feel more comfortable having that done... AND I feel more comfortable hearing your point of view. This website has been amazingly helpful and I'm so glad to have found it! I'll make sure I come back to update on how the move went. - Jennifer

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 22, 2005 9:14 pm

ecm wrote:But who wants a Ny to chicago lane.

Why don't they want that lane, ECM? Which lanes are considered the most desirable?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:31 am

We had the worst moving experience of our lives dealing with College Grads Moving & Trucking out of New Brunswick NJ. They low balled their estimate and then raised their price at delivery time so we HAD to pay more money to get our stuff off their truck. They held everything we owned hostage for their scam. It was a terrible situation. Jeorg Chromoy and Rami Lubranicki run the outfit.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks, Guest, for confirming what the "unsatisfactory" BBB rating suggested. Sorry about what happened to you.

Return to “Open Community”