item-based quote by OD moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
heretohelp

Re: item-based quote by OD moving

Postby heretohelp » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:28 am

Musicmom,

Another thing I think that should be a major factor in choosing a moving company via the internet, is their website. If a website has a picture of generic office workers instead of their own uniformed employees and regular 18 wheelers with freight trailers not moving vans with side doors it might be a bad sign. It takes no time to create a scam website cutting and pasting photos and lines from other websites. However, it does take time and money to create a website describing a companies values, background, photos of equipment, and employees in action.

Full-Service moving is not cheap, because it is not cheap to operate a moving business. Consumers need to know that a mover is not an alterative to DIY moving it's the other way around. If you are concerned about money you should go with a moving alternative like BE or ABF.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:20 am

You're right. But to a first time mover, can they tell the difference between a cut-and-pasted website of a scammer from a customized one of a good mover? There are guys with home businesses who do nothing but create websites using the best wordings from other's websites, and pirate it to amke the most convincing site. There's a lot of psychology going on, and a lot of flat-out lying about the company's background.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:29 pm

Another little trick of scammers is to take a well recognized name and move a letter here or there so it looks like an affilliation.. Then bam,,,,, when you call them they stir up so much sugar with their promises.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Retired1

Postby Retired1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:11 pm

Well, I just called (again!) and was told they would be here tomorrow. I did call movers rescue yesterday, got their voice mail and they haven't called me back yet. I'm going to just hope and pray that they do arrive. I'll keep you all posted. I appreciate all of the comments and help you have given. As a first time across country mover it was a nightmare I won't ever forget!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:31 pm

Good luck Retired1. They may come at an odd hour, if they do show up. My fingers are crossed for you. Let us know how it goes.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:44 pm

Correction: They WILL come after dark. When everyone you would call will be closed. Have a flashlight for reading every document word for word, front and back, before signing. Don't let them push you for time. You've waited long enough.

If your documents are missing information, fill it in. If they don't give you weight tickets, note that on the Bill of Lading. Offer them 110% of the original estimate in payment (they are required by law to release it for that amount, and bill you the rest after 30 days), and when they refuse to deliver until you pay them a huge amount of money, write "offered 110% of estimate, forced to pay $___ before delivery. And when they demand this money before even opening the truck and ask you to sign saying everything is in good condition, write "forced to sign as OK before viewing of goods". Yes, you'll be writing stuff in the margins everyhere. Oh, and if there's only one copy of the Bill of Lading, no carbons, stuff it in your pocket. Let them deal with the fact that they don't have the necessary paperwork. :twisted:

Retired1

Postby Retired1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:03 pm

They just called back again to confirm that they will be here between 7a and 9am tomorrow morning!! I know it could be a bluff, but it feels nice at this minute! I have the flashlight ready for a night time arrival if they don't show up. I will do as you have suggested MusicMom as I know they will want all the money upfront and the signatures. I will greet them with my digital camera in hand so that I will have pictures of how it was packed etc. I will be ready to do lots of scribbling in the margins.
Thank you all and I'll keep you posted.

Retired1

OD moving

Postby Retired1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:48 am

:D I will begin with a HUGE smile. They arrived this morning at 710am. There were 3 workers and they are just in process of leaving at 1145am. Yes, I have WAY to much stuff. I am so happy to report that I have everything (they lost a hand truck which I can easily replace, I think it just got mixed up with there's somewhere)!! YEAHhhh
I would like to report that the truck that delivered was not the truck that picked up my stuff. I asked and he told me that he did unload the truck it was loaded in and reloaded into this one. The name on the side of the truck was also different. When I asked he said that it's all the same company. If you would like any particulars, like the DOT numbers or names I did write them down.
I am thrilled that I have all my stuff and I can now catch up on some much needed rest, oh I can't do that I have LOTS of unpacking to do!
Again, thank you all so much for holding my hand through this nighmare. I hope that others end up as lucky as I've been.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Yes, please do give us the second company's name and DOT numbers, since the driver said it was all the same company!

I an SOOOOOOOOO glad to hear this final report. So they didn't try anything like I was afraid of?

Retired1

Postby Retired1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:34 pm

The driver, Freddy was wonderful to deal with. Yes, he wanted the full amount as you stated. We showed him in his own paperwork where I didn't have to pay it for 30 days. I finally paid him and added the note as you suggested. I checked off each and every box/item number, all 7 pages of them and everything was perfect. I didn't sign until it was all unpacked and beds and everything were put together. The two men he had with him did not speak English. The name on the truck was Moving Forward Relocation, LLC. 150 35th St., Brooklyn NY 11232. US DOT # 1475121, MC #557629. I have not taken the time, yet, to look these up.
Thanks again!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:41 pm

Glad to hear a happy ending for a change.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:06 pm

Moving Forward Relocation is at least licensed, and I'm glad to hear that Freddy treated you well. He is their only driver, and that was their only truck.

Return to “Open Community”