I need help with moving scam

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
malloryknox

I need help with moving scam

Postby malloryknox » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm

Hello, I hired a moving company for a moving from NY to CA, turns out the person I spoke to was a broker not the actual moving company. I was given a "low" binding quote and the day of the move when all my stuff was in the truck they added $700 to the total. They said if I didnt sign the new quote that they will leave my stuff in the street, I am a 120lbs woman I lived in a 4th floor walk up, I had to return the rental apartment that night and I was flying the following day, of course I didnt have an option other than to sign. I was never able to speak with the broker again, the moving company (Great American Van Lines) refused to cooperate with me, the guy I spoke in the phone told me "you don't want to mess with me" while still holding my boxes in their storage.. I finally got my boxes a month later, but there were missing/broken things. The guys who delivered wouldn't wait until I can check if everything was in good condition or if something was missing, and forced me to sign the inventory paper before I was able to check for missing things...
Anyway.. I really need to get that money back.. I have no job at the moment. I already reported them to BBB and FMCSA. I started a claim with the company provided by the movers but for what I read on the reviews this company doesn't not side with the customer, people who got a TV stolen were given $23.. just so you have an idea.. So if anyone has any advice on what to do I would really appreciate it.

Return to “Open Community”