Thought I was ready for my move from FL to MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
East Coast Mover

Thought I was ready for my move from FL to MA

Postby East Coast Mover » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:22 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Mike and I have been looking for a full-service mover to help me move from South Florida to Massachusetts. I thought I did my homework, but after finding this site, I realized I didn't do nearly enough. Thank goodness I found you before I decided on a mover, as I definitely would have been the latest "scam" victim.

Here's what I did BEFORE I found Movingscam.com (count along my mistakes with me):

- Went to a few of "those" internet sites that offer free moving quotes (123movers.com, mymovingquote.com, vanlines.com).

- Emailed my inventory list to all the companies that replied, asking for a full-service estimate.

- After receiving about 15 or so estimates (in both weight and cubic feet), I called the 5 "best" (most reasonable, not necessarily the cheapest) to get more information regarding extra charges, service concerns, etc...

- Scheduled 2 in-house estimates with the companies/service reps. that I felt "most comfortable" with.

- ALMOST decided on the 1 that I felt "most comfortable" with.

Here's what I did today AFTER I found Movingscam.com:

- Read your article "How to Find a Reputable Mover", which linked me to the Safersys.org website.

- Found out through the Safersys.org webiste that my first choice for a full-service mover has only 2 trucks and 2 drivers that have a 50% and 62.5% "Out of Service" rating, respectively.

- Found out through the Safersys.org webiste that my second choice for a full-service mover has only 1 truck and 1 driver, they have never had an inspection in the last 24 months and are classified by the site as "Intrastate Only (Non-HM)". I confirmed that Massachusetts is, in fact, outside of Florida's borders. Is this legal?

I will be starting my search for a mover all over again, but with this site as a resource, I feel like I'm ahead of the game. If anyone has had a positive experience with any South Florida mover, please let me know. I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Diane

Re: Thought I was ready for my move from FL to MA

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:28 am

Hi - somebody had a good interstate move with A-1 Moving & Storage, an Atlas agent in Jupiter (561-625-0600) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524

Somebody else was set to get a quote from Bohren's, a United agent in West Palm. I investigated it on www.safersys.org and found that it was a long-established company with MC #004368 that is actually headquartered in New Jersey. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3645

On that same thread, Tim Walker posted the following:
You may want to give the Florida Movers & Warehousemen's Association a call . . . Robert Skrob is the president and the number is 850-222-6002. He should be able to give you some names of other moving companies to consider.

East Coast Mover

Re: Thought I was ready for my move from FL to MA

Postby East Coast Mover » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:53 am

Diane,

Thanks for the info. I will give them a call and keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for all you do.

Mike

Return to “Open Community”