Questions about move from S. FL to MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
East Coast Mover

Questions about move from S. FL to MA

Postby East Coast Mover » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:38 pm

Last week, I posted my experience about nearly hiring a scam moving company with my move from South Florida to Massachusetts. Thankfully, I found this site prior to hiring them. On Tuesday, I begin my new search for a quality South Florida mover and I would like your opinion on something.

Whichever company I hire, I plan to monitor every part of my move and post it here on Movingscam.com. From the in-house estimates starting this week through the unloading of my possesions in late August/early September in Massachusetts, I want to provide an honest accounting of my move to the readers of this site (and hopefully a positive review for a S. Florida mover).

My questions are:

1. Is this a good idea?

2. Should I tell the hired firm that I'm going to be doing this?

Let me know what you think. I welcome your feedback.

Mike

Diane

Re: Questions about move from S. FL to MA

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi, Mike - my answers are:

1. Yes
2. Yes

HOWEVER, just posting on MovingScam.com may not do anything to improve the overall outcome of your move unless your company is not a scammer, cares about its reputation, and is moving your things in its own truck using its own driver. If it is just booking the move and picking your things up before they are transferred to a long-haul driver from the van line, then in most cases the company won't have any influence over how your things are transported or delivered, including the transit time. All that will be handled by the van line. So you have to recognize the limitations of posting here.

East Coast Mover

Postby East Coast Mover » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:11 pm

Diane - The 3 companies that are providing in-house estimates are agents for large, well-known carriers (2 of which are agents for the same carrier, which I didn't realize until after I made the appointments). Would it be OK to list them by name at this point? 2 of them were given positive notices in my reply last week.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:28 pm

Sure, go ahead and list them. I just hope that they can move you in one of their own trucks--that would be best. There's nothing wrong with getting quotes from two agents of the same van line if you want to.

East Coast Mover

Postby East Coast Mover » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:51 pm

I'm looking at:

* A-1 Moving & Storage out of Jupiter, FL - I liked not only the positive review, but also that a representative introduced himself on this website, provided info about the company and welcomed any questions.

* Bohrens out of West Palm Beach, FL - mentioned in past posts, but haven't heard good or bad about them yet. Their longevity in the moving business in definitely a plus.

* Suddath out of Fort Lauderdale, FL (office in Deerfield Beach, FL) - I've heard relatively good things about Suddath offices nationwide, but nothing about this office in particular. I will be asking about their "Out of Service" record (1 of 3 trucks, 2 of 4 drivers), but I do like they are a national name.

I'll keep you posted later this week on my estimates.

Return to “Open Community”