How movers calculate estimates by weight?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Rooke

How movers calculate estimates by weight?

Postby Rooke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:09 pm

Just wondering how the movers can come in and estimate the weight of your total household? Seems impossible. What is the method that they use?

Movingmommy2005

Re: How movers calculate estimates by weight?

Postby Movingmommy2005 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:39 pm

when we moved from mass to arizona a few years ago...it seems that they walk around your house, make an inventory list and go by "standard" weights of each item. i dont like that method. i like the linear feet method. much simpler. i mean, how the heck can a human determine weight of a household? seems much simpler to say...ok. you will use up this much feet, you pay this much. i was always afraid of the weight coming in over and having to pay the difference when the truck gets weighed half way through the move, at least with linear feet you know what you are dealing with when you load.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:53 pm

Rooke,

Companies will either use a cube sheet or a hand held computer, palm pilot to guesstimate your weight.

On these forms, computers, is a list of every possible household item and boxes in their cube form. Things that are not on the list can be added.

The cube of the article times 7 is what the average weight of that article may weigh. So if a sofa is a 50 cube then the average weight of a sofa is 350 pounds. And so on and so on. This is the method that has been used for ages. Its as accurate as the sales person is in estimating and seeing what your moving. Its not an exact science. But its damn close if your a thorough sales person and you look at everything possible and you dont cut corners or low ball a box count.

Sales people that low ball pack count, rush through a house, count windows, and so on are the ones that suck at it, or havent been properly trained. Even the ones that manipulate the cube factor of seven are cutting corners. Why do that? Why not manipulate the cube of the article instead?? Thats what I do.

So thats how sales people estimate your weight. Actual weight is determined by weighing the truck before your goods are loaded and after your goods are loaded.

Hope that helps.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Rooke

Postby Rooke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:53 pm

That's the way I feel. Do they have a formula or are they just guessing? Any movers who know how it is done?

Rooke

Postby Rooke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:58 pm

Sorry Michael, I posted mine before yours showed up. Thanks for the help. So i guess i could get an estimate of the weight of my household before the moving companies give there estimates to see if there close to what i came up with. Just the cube of the piece of furniture x 7 right?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:00 pm

Are you trying to get a ballpark price? Many van lines have these on their websites now, I know there is one at www.navl.com and www.alliedvanlines.com.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:06 pm

Use the cube sheets from one of the websites Nancy gave. But keep in mind, you still have to estimate the type and quanity of boxes you will need. And believe me, unless your know what they use, you wont have a clue and will under estimate.

And yes, total cube x 7. So 1000 cube is 7000 pounds.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:20 pm

See Fred's post on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5391

I haven't done it myself, but apparently it will give you a household inventory cube sheet similar to what professional estimators use. You have to have Excel to use it.

Rooke

Postby Rooke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:08 pm

Thanks guys. The excel sheet estimater looks good. What is the going rate per pound usually?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:10 pm

That is completely dependent on the distance, costs at each city moving to and from, and date of the move. When are you moving?

Rooke

Postby Rooke » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 pm

End of September, beginning of November

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:26 pm

You can try those ballpark tools on my post above, but there is no prescribed "per pound" equation. A company will offer deeper discounts if their business is down in a certain area, it will not offer as deep of discounts if you are in a "tough to service" or remote area.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:11 pm

Rooke,

Companies charging you a rate per pound or a rate per cubic ft you should stay away from. To easy to manipulate and price raise if you exceed their weight, which in most cases you would by a scammer.
Michael

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:12 pm

Eh? en engrish por favor.... :lol:
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

East Coast Mover

Postby East Coast Mover » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Rooke - Just a heads up that I'm in the process of moving at the end of August (FL to MA) and I had two moving company reps. from national firms come for an in-house estimate. One estimated 3200#s and the other estimated 4000#s - in my mind, that's a big difference.

Even the professionals don't always get it right (and I'll be curious who actually got it right when my shipment is officially weighed).

Good luck.

Return to “Open Community”