CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Tony910

CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES

Postby Tony910 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 pm

[post removed by moderator]

MusicMom

CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES

Postby MusicMom » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:36 am

Give some proof before you make accusations like this.

Re: CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:35 pm

Why was this message removed? I received an estimate from chipman and
I'm very interested on their reputation. Free of speech, please.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:42 pm

As far as I know, Chipman is a reputable provider of service on the west coast. It's been a long time since I was part of the United family, but I can't imagine this group declining. They have a strong base on the west coast and have been quality providers for corporate transferees as well as private individuals.

Like you, I don't know what the original post stated, it looks like the moderator requested additional prrof of what was being said, if there is a legitimate complaint, they will let you know.

IMP

Postby IMP » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 pm

I have worked in the moving & storage industry for OMG is it really that long now? Anyway - more than 10 years. I have NEVER worked for or received any compensation from Chipman - but I think highly of them if that helps you at all.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:15 pm

I just got an estimate from them (Chipman),Allied, and will be getting one from Atlas next. We are really leaning towards Chipman's....we are moving from CA to Utah, next month. If there is something we should be watching out for or staying away from....please let us know. This is our first time using professional movers.
Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:25 pm

I see that you're near Sacramento. Chipman is among the companies that we routinely recommend getting a quote from in your area. We have no reviews of any of them as yet, but industry people posting here have said these are good:- Mother Lode Van & Storage (Atlas) in Rancho Cordova, Chipman Relocations (United), Olson & Fielding (Mayflower) and Pacific Storage (Bekins). If you use Chipman, please come back to report.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:46 pm

Diane,
Thanks for the feedback....yes we are in Elk Grove, Ca. about 15 minutes south of Sacramento. I did get an estimate from Chipman and Allied, both were pretty close in price. I got a third quote from a Atlas agent (not the one you mentioned) and they were about $800 higher then the other 2. We are leaning toward United, just a gut feeling.

I'm guessing boxes are negotiable and price really isn't? Allied told me they would match United's quote.

Another question....insurance. To buy or not? Our homeowners says we are covered....but probably wouldn't want to make a claim in fear of being dropped or rates hiked up.

Thanks again for the feedback....

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:38 am

Hi again - if you want to get another quote from Mother Lode (Atlas), just remember that many Atlas agents offer free full value replacement valuation coverage if you have at least 5000 pounds and are a member of AAA. This could save you several hundred dollars.

Price is usually not very negotiable. You might get a slightly higher discount out of them--maybe 1 or 2 percentage points. It's worth asking about used boxes, although you might have to pick them up at the warehouse.

Many people have a misconception that their homeowner's policy will cover them against the things most likely to happen during a move, namely breakage, scratches, and dents. We have never found a policy that covered such things, just as it would not cover such happenings if they occurred in a person's own home. Homeowner's policies do often provide coverage against catastrophes such as fire, flood, and theft of the entire trailer, but the moving company's own policy should also cover such things, so people are double insured.

It really depends on how much of a risk-taker you are. If your shipment is going direct--that is, picked up by the driver who will deliver it--I would say that the chance of damage is very small and you might want to forgo the valuation coverage.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:32 am

Another question....insurance

You are not buying an insurance policy, but asking the carrier to accept additional liability for damage due to handling over and above his carrier insurance ie. damage or loss due to catastrophic incident.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:02 pm

I will call Mother Lode tomorrow. We were quoted weights between 11,000-11,200. We are a AAA member so I will ask them about "free full value replacement". I will let you know what I find out.
I'm so glad I found this forum....with all the horror stories you hear it is nice to have a place to get information.
Thanks,
Tracie

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:11 pm

My advice is to get the estimate from MotherLode first and then ask about free FRV valuation coverage. It costs the company something to provide such coverage free to customers, so best to do it in that order in my opinion.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:39 pm

Diane, I will do that.....and let you know what I find out.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:51 pm

You really need to disclose the AAA membership in advance. It is not fair to a company to ask for a discount after they have offered you their best possible price. ALSO, not all Atlas agents can offer the AAA discount. So there may be another Atlas agent in your market who is part of that program. You have then wasted the MotherLode's salesmen's time.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:55 pm

I looked on both the Atlas and AAA web sites and didn't see anything about it. It would be interesting to find out from Atlas H/O how they handle a claim. Does the driver pay more out of his pocket? Let's face it nothing is FREE!!!! someone pays.

Return to “Open Community”