PODS: Is the price worth it?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
podsripoff

Re: PODS: Is the price worth it?

Postby podsripoff » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:51 pm

I am glad someone had a good experience with PODS. I thought they were pretty cool too, until my POD was delivered to my new home months after being stored in their "secured" warehouse in Las Vegas. The lock we had put on the POD had been removed, our pod burglarized by POD employees in charge of that "secured" warehouse then replaced with another similiar looking mini-storage type lock. When our keys would not fit the lock upon delivery I paid a locksmith $100 to drill it open only to find out many of our HHG had been stolen. PODS refuses to accept any responsibility even though it was only out of their warehouse one day enroute to Phoenix. When I contacted PODS all I got was a "sorry" form letter.

Also as someone has already mentioned, they do not pro-rate warehouse charges. So even though I had time left in Las Vegas I was told it would have to stay in the Phoenix warehouse overnight before they delivered to my new home. Later I found out that one night cost me a whole month of storage.

I want to prepare a class action law suit against this company. I can be contacted at [email protected]

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Did PODS give you an opportunity to buy any kind of insurance coverage? Also, I believe that your renter's or homeowner's insurance may cover you against theft of this type.

podsripoff

Postby podsripoff » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:52 pm

Naturally they all want to sell you insurance. However, I have even heard compliants that the insurance does not really cover you for the replacement cost. Since my HHG were in storage in a "secure" warehouse I did not feel they should have to be insured for the several months they were there. I considered the risk for insurance. Rather than pay the premium for several months I would take the risk of something happening such as a fire or truck accident when items were being moved from one city to another, only a few hundred miles. In my wildest thoughts I never dreamed I would actually be ripped off by the people running the secured warehouse who then only say "sorry".

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:41 pm

Did you file a police report?

podsripoff

Postby podsripoff » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Yes, I am in the process of getting a list of what we can identify together to file with the police and also the BBB.

Counting Windows

Postby Counting Windows » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Recently, I was driving by a truck stop on the New York Thruway and saw 3 Pod containers loaded onto a flatbed trailer.

The Flatbed service could be the reason for such a high cross country price.

Are flat beds air- ride trailers?

Does the size of a Pod prohibit it from being shipped inside a trailer?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:37 pm

PODS told me on the phone that their containers are transported on air-ride trailers. Incidentally, they record all phone conversations when you call in. :o

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Is that a bad thing? Did you say something naughty that you regret? :wink:

dbbrack

Postby dbbrack » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: Go Mini's - I sent two email requests for informatin over a week ago and have not received a response.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Price of PODs.

The POD system requires a specific lift system to handle delivery. If you notice in the pictures, the container is lifted vertically from the chassis by what I believe is hydrolic or pneumatic legs. There are no wheels on PODs so they can be stacked in a warehouse but cannot be rolled into a trailer which is why they are transported on flat beds. PODs are not in every community so there might also be additional charges for delivery to some areas. These factors could account for the price.

GO-MINIS /SAMS

They are on wheels are are designed to fit inside trailers. The fact that they are on wheels allow them to be delivered to site by "tilt and load" tow trucks. This greater flexability should mean a lower cost, however it is my understanding that these are used in a local market only.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:37 pm

I as well looked at the POD system. After careful consideration and looking at what the POD offered and the full service movers offered, I was sold on a full service. I am doing all the packing myself, and have come to realize, that I pack my boxes, with my lifting them myself in mind...just in case. Thanks to this site it was easier on me....as moving is very stressful to say the least. :D

I did find the POD system to be very expensive for what they offered in a move. I could not see paying $7500.00 to load my own boxes and then unload my own boxes.

Kermit

Postby Kermit » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:23 pm

With regard to the prices on long distance moves the prices are geared more towards people with a 3-5 bedroom house who can fill up 2 or 3 containers; you pay a good percentage of the long distance costs with the first container.

With regard to local area moves, the price per container is the same whatever the number. However, contrary to what you might expect, you can often get a better quote by asking for warehouse storage (which need only be one night) than asking for a direct point A to B move.

It's really a great setup particularly for someone who is closing on one house, and can't move into the new one for a few days to a few weeks, instead of having to load and rent a U-haul twice and pay for a storage place in between.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:08 pm

My fiance has his belongings stored in a PODS container right now, in his parents' driveway. It has been there four more than 4 months. He seems quite pleased with the way they have handled his business so far. However, using them for the cross-country move next week was not feasible for us. They would be able to deliver his POD to St. Louis, but that would leave us with another two-and-one-half hours drive with all his belongings from St Louis to Jefferson City, Missouri. So, we opted for a moving company. He will unload the stuff from the POD directly onto the moving truck next week and then the load will be driven from Connecticut to Missouri. I don't think that PODS is cheap, the monthly fee to rent the POD is pretty high, and the moving costs were really high, but their service has been satisfactory to us, in the limited capacity we have used them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:43 pm

These last two posts bring up some good points about PODS. Thanks to the two individuals who posted.

develyn50

Postby develyn50 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:03 pm

From 8/24 original post: I was asked by Diane to post here instead of a new post.

Hello!

I've read many informative posts on this site so I thought I'd give back to the community. I am moving from Las Vegas to a small town in Iowa. I considered renting from Penske to load and drive myself about $2,300 with gas/motel/food, etc), ABF (they don't deliver to my destination so they were automatically eliminated), and Broadway Express. I eliminated BE because they couldn't get to my destination address without using a shuttle (not confirmed but most likely since I know the street, etc.) The quote from BE was $3,000 for 16ft. This left PODS as my choice since they do deliver to my destination and will be able to provide door to door service. I also like the fact the they are not elevated. It makes it much easier to load/unload. Anyway, I've booked my POD (1 8x8x16ft). So far, I've had great customer service/sales experience. I even had to call to change my dates. No problems! I will be writing a followup to this post by the end of September. I'll inform of the delivery to my starting point and everything in between, to the delivery to the final destination. Moving is stressfull so I hope all goes well! (I am flying with my cat , so that should be interesting!). Oh, the PODS price is $3,802.

******Follow up on 9/5/06. The PODS container was delivered on time today.

I'll post again after it is picked up. Scheduled pickup 9/12.

Return to “Open Community”