Moving company demanding more money 1 year later?!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NeedSomeAdvice

Moving company demanding more money 1 year later?!!

Postby NeedSomeAdvice » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:14 pm

I am confused and would appreciate any advice on this problem.

I moved one year ago in March/2005. I paid for the move in advance an amount of $3500 which was the estimate plus 10%. After the move was complete I was refunded $1400 which made sense to me because my goods weighed less than was estimated and were in storage only half the estimated time.

The moving company took over a month to get me the paperwork documenting the cost of the move and only handed it over after I called them several times and sent tons of emails. I needed this to get reimbursed from my employer so I was very insistent.

I received a letter this month (March/2006) which is 1 year later indicating that I still owe them the $1400 and that it was refunded to me in error. They produced two invoices, one for $2000 and another for $1400. In the original paperwork from last year I was only given one invoice.

So my question is this, are they allowed to slap me with this bill after so much time? If the original error was their fault for refunding me the money, am I still obligated to pay it? What actions will they take agains me if I refuse?

MusicMom

Re: Moving company demanding more money 1 year later?!!

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:29 pm

And what do you think would happen if you did not pay them? They have to be able to prove this amount is due to them, and I'm not sure any mover who would allow such errors both during and after the move keeps that good of a record set.

I'd say to ignore this letter and any others that come. If you get a call from a creditor, type and sign a letter formally disputing the charges, then it's up to the movers to prove it.

I really don't see them being able to prove a thing. if they didn't give you documentation at the move time, and you had to wrestle it out of them, they weren't following the rules and woul be hardpressed to argue their position in court. This has happened at least one other time, I wish I could remember with who. The person ignored the bill, and the movers went away.

Can i ask which mover it was? You can send it to me in a PM, if you'd like. i can help you look them up to see if they're even following regulations and were licensed, etc.
I'm sure im or one of the pros can discuss the legalities of how long the mover ahs in which to bill you. 10 months seems way too long, especially if an insurance claim must be filed within 9 months.

NeedSomeAdvice

Postby NeedSomeAdvice » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The moving company is Suddath which I believe is an agent for United (not sure how that all works?)

The company talks a good talk up front but after my estimate I have had nothing but problems and broken promises. I guess thats a familiar story. I can't believe how bad this industry is! I'm actually getting ready to move again but I'm just going to rent a truck and pay my friends to do it. Glad I got that letter because I was actually considering going through them again!!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:37 pm

You mentioned storage, did the whole move complete in March of 2005?

Were you provided with weight tickets? Is the invoice coming from United corporate, or a United agent?

Postby 23 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:43 pm

NeedSomeAdvice wrote:.....The moving company is Suddath which I believe is an agent for United (not sure how that all works?)

The company talks a good talk up front but after my estimate I have had nothing but problems and broken promises. I guess thats a familiar story. I can't believe how bad this industry is! ......Glad I got that letter because I was actually considering going through them again!!

Without one of us seeing all of the actual paperwork, we will not know what kind of error this was.

I am just surprised after the problems and broken promises, that you would be considering them again.

NeedSomeAdvice

Postby NeedSomeAdvice » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:57 pm

Yeah. After a year of not thinking about it I had put all the bad stuff out of my mind. This brought up all the bad memories :P

I have been sent two invoices. One is from united which indicates the $2000 charge. The other is from suddath which indicates the $1400 charge. So it looks like United was given my initial payment of $3500 and then issued a credit to me for $1400 which I received. Then Suddath tacked on their final destination charges for unloading which apparently came to about $1400 and they never noticed the fact that they had credited it back to me in error. So now that they noticed a year later they have come looking for their money.

It just blows because I already submitted all this paperwork to my company last year and I don't think they'll be too happy to pay this now. Plus it doesn't even go on my taxes from last year! If they had just had their shit straight in the first place none of this would be a problem. I guess I do not have much of a choice but to pay it, but man it really ticks me off how they handled this.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 pm

dont pay it...there is nothing with your signature on it saying you agreed to pay anyone anything,is there?...they refunded you the money and now want it back??? if anything send the bill back with a letter demanding a copy of anything with your signature on it saying you owe them anything...

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:51 pm

Well if the $1,400 was a refund...most likely there IS a bill somewhere with her signature agreeing to full price.

Did you save the communication in which they told you about the refund? Was it sent by check, money order...? If it was and you still have a copy, you can prove that they paid you the sum of $1,400, and it would be then common sense that it was a refund, since it would be dated after your payment date. If you don't have that, just let it go. If creditors call you, tell them in writing to stop- they are required by law to stop calling you if you issue an official letter saying you no longer want to be contacted. Your moving company will never go to court on this, and if they do, chances are they'll lose. So I wouldn't worry too much either way.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:41 am

I wouldn't pay it. For them to come back a year later and ask for that money is ridiculous. Do you think they would respond if you tried to make a damage claim a year later on something they broke during the move?

Doug

Postby Doug » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:21 am

Is it not my understanding that they were required to notify you in writting before 90 days of final delivery on any overages that would apply up to the 110 percent rule ?

And if her move had contracted for storage time plus transport applies as well?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:28 pm

I would tell them to go take a flying flop.
But my wife who works in the accounting dept said. She would never allow a mistake like this to drag out so long. But if somehow it did.
She would take you to small claims court, BACK HERE where the office is. Chances are great you won't travel back to go to court over this.
So either you'll pay it, or she will win a judgement, send it to collections and put it on your credit report, and never think about it again.
Sorry I no thats not what you wanted to hear, and personally i think it totally messed up.

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:54 pm

Except that the poster could send in a receipt or bank statement showing payment FROM the moving company TO the shipper, and prove that it was done after initial payment of the move. That would show that it was a refund, and thus it is not something that is "owed" to the company. I am also not sure how long the claims period is, but I highly doubt it could be after a year, when not a single invoice had been sent before it.

And actually, the moving company could never prove that the shipper even got the letter asking for the extra money. Even in small claims court, you have to have some sort of case. This company doesn't. It would have burden of proof- and how do you prove that a sum is owed after a year, without ever having made an effort to recover previously, and when there is a a refund check that was issued for the exact amount you're trying to ask for? No judge would go for that.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Can you call United Corporate and ask about this, or would that give validity to the bill?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:21 pm

'Course, you could always spend $100 to go over the papers with a lawyer to see what you REALLY need to do.

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:23 pm

Well right now there's really no need for a lawyer, is there? They just sent a random invoice asking for payment. If they go through with a court date, which they won't, THEN a lawyer might help. But why waste time and money on something that will most likely never go anywhere? That's just my opinion. Let it go. If it becomes "serious", which I honestly doubt, then worry about it.

Return to “Open Community”