Moving from Oakland, CA to Seattle, WA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from Oakland, CA to Seattle, WA

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:10 am

Hi all, I'm glad I found this forum. I've been reading non-stop for like a week, and after everything I've read, I'm afraid of every single moving company!

My first estimate was from Whalen's, who is my employer's official mover. Since they are based in NY, they called Nor-Cal, who came out and claimed by 2-bdrm apt had 10,800 lbs of stuff! They want almost $9,000.

Since I don't have to use them, I have started getting competing estimates. Today I had Cor-O-Van (North American) and California Movers Express (Stevens, used to be Wheaton). Corovan seemed very professional, and gave me a better estimate on poundage -- 6,800 (4,000 lbs less than Whalens, lol) -- but they have had 11 complaints in the last 3 years, according to the BBB. CA Movers Express did the walkthru with pencil and paper, and seemed kinda low-tech, but actually paid more attention to furniture that might be broken in a move.

I've got estimators coming from Chipman (United), Trivalley (Bekins), and Alexander (Atlas) in a few days.

Any opinions and advice is appreciated.

Chuck

Re: Moving from Oakland, CA to Seattle, WA

Postby Chuck » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:12 am

Sorry I thought I had logged in, but I hadn't even activated the account. I posted the message above.

Name is Chuck.

thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:37 am

Chuck,

There's a lot of information about each of these companies on this website and also on www.epinions.com if you do a search on the names. I believe that Chipman has been in business for many, many years in California and is actually headed by a person named Chipman, so you might want to give that one special consideration.

The thing that intrigues me most is that you say that Nor-Cal (which I believe is an Allied agent) estimated your weight way high, even after seeing your things. Could anyone in the industry comment on how/why this could be? Maybe they didn't want the move?

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:13 pm

Thanks Diane. I've actually read ALL the epinions reviews! the problem with the reviews seems to be that franchises outside my area don't seem that relevant, and the reviews are all either 5 stars or 1 star. Are all moves either totally unsatisfactory or totally smooth?!

Chipman actually has the most complaints lodged at the BBB -- 13 over a 3 year period. They all seem to have been resolved, but after reading this site and others, the BBB also seems to be a scam!!!

Argh! Help!

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:15 pm

I seem to recall seeing complaints about a "Chipman Relocation" but I'm not sure if that's the same company.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:25 pm

Chuck and Diane,

In my opinion Chipman and Alexanders are the two better companies that you have mentioned. I would go with Alexanders first, then Chipman. There is a difference of a company having 13 complaints while doing 3000 moves a year (9000 over 3 years), compared to someone with 13 complaints and 500 moves a year. But non the less, ask them, if your interested in them, what the general complaint seems to be.

Now in regards to the Allied agent being so hi. When a company has an account and they ask another agent to provide them with a survey, 9 out of 10 of those agents are going to estimate high. And here is why. Most accounts, have a stipulation that if the cost goes over 10%, then they can charge back the agent that quoted way low, the difference in cost. It helps to be accurate, but it also helps not to be low and charged back.

Keep in mind Chuck, if your getting the benefit of the account contract, one, your getting priority, and you should be getting free valuation. Also, should the weight come in less you wil be charged less. With accounts your also getting a lower discount then a COD. With Account business your stressing to your employer the quality and service, not so much price. Ask your company for the companies quality scores they have tracked since doing business with this company. They have to have something in regards to their quality reports.

And if you received a copy of the inventory, which I am sure you didnt, ask to see it. I would bet they simply estimated tons more boxes then anyone else, thus making your weight so much higher then the other quotes.

Hope that helps.

Good luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”