Great Experience with CMS (Contemporary Moving Systems)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
garyks

Great Experience with CMS (Contemporary Moving Systems)

Postby garyks » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Everyone:

First of all... much praise to this site and the people who run it. Your committment to solid information and moving company accountability is a much needed and appreciated service. Keep up the great work.

As to my positive experience, ( a result of being informed and trained by this site in the way the interstate moving bizz works), I had a stellar move executed by CMS who took our goods from Miami to NY.

Out of Mount Vernon, New York and run by Frank (dispatch) and John (on the truck) Contemporary Moving Systems (CMS) completed a 400N tarriff move for me from Miami to NY and made good on the 400N rules and everything they promised. They took no money down and even accepted my personal check upon completion of moving us up into our new apartment and clearing the used supplies away. John's great attitude, expertise, pride in his work and efforts beyond our expectations restored our faith that there are still people with honesty and integrity in business.

I highly recommend CMS to anyone wishing to entrust their valueable property to a moving company. 914-663-9134 www.contemporarymoving.com/pages/757031/index.htm

Thanks again to eveyone at movingscam.com

And BTW, the irony is that I found this company by accident. What wasn't an accident, but the result of this site's help, was my newly acquired knowledge of the interstate moving bizz and knowing what to look for and that I found it in CMS.

As it happened, I was walking my dog, (only ten days out from the busiest moving day of the year, the dreaded June 30th) I still had not found a mover I was comfortable with for one reason or another and was getting very nervous because availability was going down and prices were going up. I happened to see this moving truck outside a neighbor's house and asked one of the workers if they did interstate moves. He told me they didn't but he worked with a company out of Mount Vernon that were great and were always doing runs between NY and Florida. In fact, he told me, they're in Sarasota now and on their way down to Naples and the Miami area. He gave me their number and John was at my house that night to do a visual estimate and quote.

They were completing their NY > Florida run and were heading back up in a couple of days and my wife and I decided that even though we were going to go on the 30th, we'd complete the packing and get it on their truck (we were 75% packed at the time and it was a hustle to the last box, but in the end it was the right decision.)

Oddly, the only downside about movingscam.com is knowing too much and trying to hold out for the right company and deal. There appears to be more scammers out there than straight shooters. And, of course, every move has it's own idiosyncracies beyond just the loading and unloading of goods. And moving into Manhattan has special issues all its own.

I'd gone through about 25 companies from the flat rates, to the Broadway expresses to the Suddaths and Allieds. A big part of my issue was the NY end (which I only learned through the estimates I got) where I had to secure elevator time and coordinate that with the arrival of the truck. Everyone wanted to beat me up on storage and re-loads to shuttle trucks because the city doesn't let the big vans in anymore. By the time they added on the money for the NY end, there was another $450 to $600 in the price and it always meant extra handling of my goods. To avoid that I could've used a straight truck, but there were few available at that late date and they were way more expensive to go "exclusive use."

My advice to people moving interstate is to:
#1: work with movingscam.com every step of the way.
#2: be clear about all of the needs of your move so you get a quote that covers everything
#3: start looking about 6 - 8 weeks ahead of your moving date so you have enough time to learn the ropes and meet the players. :D

Diane

Re: Great Experience with CMS (Contemporary Moving Systems)

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:43 pm

Thanks for this review. As you said before, this company has the MC #406875 and it is in Westchester County. Did they move your things in a straight truck and how much did they charge for how much weight?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

garyks

Postby garyks » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:37 pm

No, they moved us in the big van. And BTW they their truck was immaculate and top quality insulated. The way it actually worked out, was, because of the July 4th holiday in the middle of the move, they stored our stuff on their truck in the yard while the guys took off. We didn't want to take delivery until July 7 anyway, giving us time to get the apt organized.
On delivery day they slid our stuff from the big van to the straight truck to come into NY. I didn't mind this so much since it was only one maneuver from truck to truck vs. truck to storage and back to truck.

We went in at a 3500 pound estimate but the weight tags showed us to be 4100 lbs. The original quote was for $2826 and we ended up @ $3186 for the overage. We weren't surprised since we added a few things during the final packing. All these numbers fell in line with the other bids we were getting based on the 400N tarrif at that time of year and were less than other movers quotes and accomodated our timing needs.

Bottom line... we had a deal we understood and felt comfortable with the result.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:22 am

garyks wrote:On delivery day they slid our stuff from the big van to the straight truck to come into NY. I didn't mind this so much since it was only one maneuver from truck to truck vs. truck to storage and back to truck.

I agree - this is not nearly as risky as having your goods set off in a warehouse.
We went in at a 3500 pound estimate but the weight tags showed us to be 4100 lbs. The original quote was for $2826 and we ended up @ $3186 for the overage. We weren't surprised since we added a few things during the final packing.

It's good for people to see this because it shows that the extra weight doesn't make all that much difference in the price. You paid $360 for 600 additional pounds, or $60 per 100 pounds. In the same way, someone who reduces the size of his shipment by 600 pounds in hopes of lowering the cost would probably save only about $360. The weight doesn't make all that much difference in price (within limits, of course).
Bottom line... we had a deal we understood and felt comfortable with the result.

I think this (I added the bold font) is important. Customers want to understand what they're getting involved with. They want transparency. They want sales reps who can give clear answers to their questions and will stand by what they say and promise. They want drivers who will stay in touch with them en route. All of this comes through loud and clear in the reviews here.

Thanks for this report and I'm adding it to my summary post on NYC.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

garyks

Postby garyks » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am

And thanks again to you and all the other dedicated posters monitoring this list and helping people like myself sort it all out.
:lol:

Return to “Open Community”