Complaint help vs United/Dearman from Mansfield Ohio

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
IMP

Re: Complaint help vs United/Dearman from Mansfield Ohio

Postby IMP » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:21 am

If it were me I would file the arbitration action.
There are still good people who move good people.

Mike in Florida

Update

Postby Mike in Florida » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 pm

There have been a couple of new posts so I will update.

We wrote a letter to United Van lines asking them to intervene. We then wrote a second when my brother mentioned one fact left out of the original escalation letter and my post here - he contacted the moving company about the damage to the bicycle the day after the move. They got back to him a week later (after three follow-ups) and led him to believe that would have only one chance to claim and should wait until fully unpacked.

That explains the 6-7 weeks to report.

United Van Lines contacted him, acknowledged the complaint, and has asked for pictures of the bicycle and greater detail from the shop that provided the estimate to repair. This is underway. I see this as a positive step by United and other actions are now on the back burner.

Mike

Mike in Florida

They paid!

Postby Mike in Florida » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Well, another update. After United Van Lines received the second letter they contacted my brother, asked for photos of the bicycle, and asked for details and contact information for the bicycle repair shop. They received both, contacted the shop, and a week later confirmed that they would reimburse my brother the amount requested for the bicycle. Clear, crisp and very professional.

He has the check.

Dearman in Ohio acted poorly here but United Van Lines did the right thing. I'll certainly keep them in mind for future moving needs.

Regards, Mike in Florida

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:08 am

Did Dearman self-haul the shipment or was it a United Van Lines driver? And how much was paid on the claim?

Mike in Florida

It was Dearman

Postby Mike in Florida » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:33 am

Hi Diane

Dearman loaded and drove their truck, using a couple of locals to help unload in Illinois. The claim for damaged walls ($240) was denied (rightfully IMHO) and the claim for the damaged bicycle was $1870, fully paid.

My assessment is that Dearman acted poorly and United well.

Regards, Mike

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:35 am

Mike, just as an aside, you have presented this whole scenario extremely well here. Your brother is lucky to have you involved.

I am just curious why the van line would step in to pay the claim when it would seem to me the responsibility of the van line agent. Can somebody in the industry (Archie?) explain this to me? Was the move done on the van line's authority even though it was a self-haul? Would the van line agent have received a chargeback for the amount paid by the van line? Maybe the agent didn't want to up-front the money (?).

Also, Mike, I thought you said that there was a $250 deductible, yet United paid the whole amount claimed?

Mike in Florida

Postby Mike in Florida » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:12 am

Diane wrote:Mike, just as an aside, you have presented this whole scenario extremely well here. Your brother is lucky to have you involved.

Thanks. It's mostly experience working in the corporate world most of my life - be reasonable, factual, to the point, and focus on resolution instead of blame - and organizations will respond. Also, let them see you are serious - by involving those regulatory and industry groups you so clearly list around your web site.

Also, Mike, I thought you said that there was a $250 deductible, yet United paid the whole amount claimed?

There is a deductible. I'll ask him. He confirmed UVL paid, I assumed the amount - I will confirm and post.

I like your web site - very helpful, especially in listing other organizations that can be resources in a dispute. Also, the interaction was useful - even Archie's, which helped me focus the final letter to United.

Cheers, Mike

Mike in Florida

The settlement numbers

Postby Mike in Florida » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:17 pm

Diane wrote:Also, Mike, I thought you said that there was a $250 deductible, yet United paid the whole amount claimed?

Hi again Diane

I was a bit careless with the numbers on my post. The bicycle damage was $1630 and he was reimbursed $1380.
The check was sent from United Van Lines, not Dearman.

Regards, Mike

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:21 pm

The van line has total, final authority to do anything they want.....the shipment was on a United bill of lading, not aDearman bill of lading, so United had the final decision at all times. This has been covered before, The truck the shipment is on is not nearly as important as the BILL OF LADING....the BOL is the contract and the only thing that really matters...not the driver, or his agency or his helpers, or the rental shuttle truck, nothing but the Carrier named on the bill of lading.

Van lines allow agents to help settle, since its a dirty nasty job that nobody else wants,but if the agent does not settle it to the shippers satisfaction, the appeal to the carrier (in this case United) is the next step before arbitration.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks, Archie . . . so in this case the agent will get dinged by the van line in the end, i.e. some money will be withheld by the van line to cover the claim payment? After all, the damage was the agent's fault.

How could you be so sure that this move was done on the van line's paper, since the distance of the move was less than 400 miles?

Why didn't the agent just settle this (i.e. pay the claim) right away?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:58 pm

Unigroup no longer allows agents to use their own authority to do anything.....(hint, the legal dept is now running things) and yes, the agent will be dinged, based on their drivers claim charge back....which is based on his claims history.

The agent probably denied the claim based on the fact it came across ( at least in my early readings of the postings) as a weak claim, borderline. Sorry, but if you just automatically mail people checks for anything they want without proof, without verification, without inspections, etc, you might as well mail them a blank check and let them fill in the amount they desire. I'm surprised that some carriers, when faced with filing new tariffs, didn't take that totally unfair 9 months to file claims out of their tariffs and put something more reasonable, 30 days, but thats just me. I could write a book on 'unusual' claims that have been filed down thru the years, and it would be a book with an unhappy ending.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks for clarifying, Archie. Over the years, I've learned more from you about the van line system than from anybody else posting on this messageboard. :)

I would just like to comment on this statement by "Mike in Florida" above:
. . . [be] reasonable, factual, to the point, and focus on resolution instead of blame - and organizations will respond. Also, let them see you are serious - by involving those regulatory and industry groups you so clearly list around your web site.

Excellent advice, but it's important for anyone reading this complaint about Dearman to understand that Mike and his brother wouldn't have gotten to first base if they hadn't been dealing with a reputable company and a reputable van line. Scam and dubious companies would simply have blown them off (and the load would probably have been significantly more messed up at delivery as well).

However annoying these problems with reputable companies may be, they are as nothing compared with the horrific damage inflicted by scammers who scoff at attempts to regulate them. Consumers should always keep this in mind. One set of companies respects the law and has procedures in place to settle disputes; the other is operating in its own lawless universe.

Return to “Report A Scam”