Oasis Moving and Storage (Las Vegas)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
mmd26

Oasis Moving and Storage (Las Vegas)

Postby mmd26 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Please help. Like most people I only found this board after my items were in the truck. My estimate was for 1500lbs, now they are saying it is 2900lbs.

I offered to pay 110% of the original estimate, which I thought guaranteed my delivery. They are insisting that I supply them a credit card or check or they will "skip your delivery".

IS THIS LEGAL?

farrah7031

Re: Oasis Moving and Storage (Las Vegas)

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:20 pm

No, its not legal unless you signed a revised estimate before they loaded your goods. Otherwise you only owe 110% upon delivery.

http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... ightsD.htm
Once your mover loads your shipment, your mover's failure to execute a new estimate signifies it has reaffirmed the original non-binding estimate. Your mover may not collect more than 110 percent of the amount of this estimate at destination for the services and quantities shown on the estimate.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Can they provide you with weight tickets to prove the load weighs more?

Did you have a Binding Quote, also called a Flat Rate or a Guaranteed Price?

It IS extortion, what they're doing, the technical term is "hostage load". In the morning, call 1-888-DOT-SAFT to report this. You will probably have to pay them what they ask for to get the stuff back, though. Use the credit card.

I'm not surprised, they've got several complaints for hostage loads. I'm wondering why they've not been reviewed yet.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:17 pm

MM, if you mean "reviewed" on this website, there are many, many threads on them, including this one - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Diane, I think she meant reviewed by DOT.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 pm

Right, by the DOT.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:56 am

You are entitled to see the truck being weighed. If you ask prior to delivery they must inform you of the location of the scales nearest your delivery location and allow you to meet the truck there and watch it being weighed before the shipment is unloaded, and again after your shipment has been unloaded - both weights in your presence - that way you know that the weight tickets are accurate. They are not allowed by law to charge you for this right. Weighing a truck costs $5-$10 each time - they cannot charge this to you.

I agree - use a credit card as opposed to writing a check.
There are still good people who move good people.

condo driver

Postby condo driver » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:14 am

If you are moving to Las Vegas there are three truck stops on I 15 that have 24 hour scales

DontUseOasis

Postby DontUseOasis » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 am

I was also a victim of Oasis Moving's Hostage Load. They insisted on $500 cash after I paid them in full. I thought they were joking but of course I was forced to sign their paperwork and got them to put it on a credit card just so I can have my things. I'm working on a dispute but they keep coming back with "he signed and agreed to the amounts".

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'd also like to see my weight ticket if possible because I strongly believe I was severly overcharged. I was quoted about $1500 and they raised it 3 times after they picked up my stuff. Ended up being almost $3000. :cry:

Return to “Report A Scam”