18 wheel truck in the apartment complex

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
summerpolice

18 wheel truck in the apartment complex

Postby summerpolice » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi
After 45 days my carrier/broker has agreed to deliver my things at my apartment complex .Now he is asking whether the 18 wheel truck can come to my complex , or else he will have to arrange shuttle etc.

I dont think i can afford anymore delay .

Is it the next level of scamming .How would i know whether the truck can come to the complex .

Please advice

Conspiracy

Re: 18 wheel truck in the apartment complex

Postby Conspiracy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:46 pm

call 311 non emergancy to speak with your local police and ask them, or ask the super attendent of the building. It's not the next level of scamming, it's a shuttle charge. It's only a scam if he never asked you about it. They rent 2 smaller trucks to do the pickup/delivery.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 pm

yeah, resident manager is your best bet......but in about 80% of the cases, a 75 foot long monster 18 wheeler will not get into an apartment complex.

summerpolice

Postby summerpolice » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:18 pm

wht does that mean .I will have to wait more number of days( storage--> small truck--> house)..
Or i will have to shed more money or both.
What a screw up on the top of existing screw up..

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm guessing it will cost a little more, how much? can't say. It involves renting a small truck to get inside the tight space of the apartment complex. Once they've got you, they hate to let you go, as you really must be a good customer.....but on the other hand, if it is actually on a truck, they may want to get it offa that truck, so they can go scam somebody else. Supply and demand at work again.

Since all truck drivers have cell phones these days, (although the scammers speak poor english) see if they will give you the drivers phone number and speak with him, see what he says.....

summerpolice

Postby summerpolice » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:24 pm

I spoke with the Driver and he wanted me to check it .
Luckly this time ,after 45 days i am seaking to a person who speaks good english ..
I checked with the apartment complex ..they dont have any problem letting the truck in. i tried reaching 311 , but i think the number doesnt exist in our area ,Dublin CA.

IS there anywhere else i can check it..Or should i need to wait til the driver comes and check .
I cannot afford to loose this guy now ..I wanted to make sure i get my items this time.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Just tell him you are pretty sure its ok, then when he gets there, he can make the final decision....if he cannot, and gripes about what you told him, remind him that you are not a Truck driver, you were told it was ok, blah, blah...by this time he too will want to get it off the truck, so he won't abscond with your stuff, but he might want to hit you for a benjamin or two. ( what size load is it ?)

summerpolice

Postby summerpolice » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:02 pm

THE ESTIMATE WAS DONE FOR 3000 pounds. Actually its in the range of 2000 -2500 .
Till now they havent told about revision in weight .The final amount was also as per the balance .They gave me $300 off due to 45 days .

But i think they will try to take it back based on this issue .

Is there any police number which i can call and confirm .Is it necessary.
I will be posting my complete experince once i recive my things(dont know the condition of items :oops: )

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Don't call the police, that will throw gasoline on the fire. First wait until he shows, if he can get in, problem solved, if he can't, he may mention additional cost, and then you say, "How Much?" if his answer is acceptable, problem solved, if not, tell him no...you've gone thru so much already, you are just not going to pay. ( but have some cash handy, you might end up paying something....I would say $100-$150 max, thats just the price of poker, and will end the nightmare. then file your complaints with everybody, but until you get your stuff, lay low and try to see what kind of BS they come up with, if any. you might get lucky.

summerpolice

Postby summerpolice » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:35 pm

thanks archie ..

Totally tired and sickened by the move ..Hope will never have to deal with people like this .What a mess...!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 pm

summer if you're in Dublin the police might allow for a fee to grant you a parking permit for the tractor trailer.

Depending on your area of Dublin, there aren't many places where I saw need for a shuttle. My company had an office on Houston Place, right off Hopyard/Daugherty
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

rksingh

Postby rksingh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

In my case, I was not informed about this, though they told me other two cost that is if it long carry for distance($100) or floor charges($75 each floor).

Now I would like to know, which apartment in US may have 18 wheel truck, though I am new to US but still most of the apartment I saw seems to not to allow same.

I only say thanks to God that they dont have clause in agreement that if they send luggage by air then my apartment should allow landing of plane and have runway for takeoff. :(

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

That is a really general question. Some apartments even have loading docks where the truck can load and unload. So to ask the question of which apartments allows this is pretty broad. You need to look at each apartment you are looking at moving to to see if they have the access for a 18 wheeler to get in and out. A lot of them where I worked with the exception of 3 developments had good access for 18 wheeler's.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm

The sad thing is most reputable movers dont charge for stairs, long carries or shuttles anymore (unless at origin)
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 pm

cmon Michael, there is a factor for it. Now the lady with the ranch house and perfect access has to help pay for the stair carry and shuttle of others.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Return to “Report A Scam”