PRESIDENT MOVING AND STORAGE

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
helenyoung

PRESIDENT MOVING AND STORAGE

Postby helenyoung » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I moved from NY to Los Angeles with some really nice antique furniture.
I asked for a quote from President Moving and storage. I had found them online and read great reviews.
Rule #1. Before hiring a company search for Complaints not good reviews.
The first part of the move and pick up went smoothly.
They were required to download unsupervised at a storage facility in LA.
When I opened the door to the space I found I was kicking through pieces of wood on the floor, that had been knocked off the furniture.
Major losses. Major breakages. Antiques that had been shipped from the UK decades ago, in pieces.
President did exactly what they assured me they would never do.
They took the truck with my gear in it, to a warehouse somewhere, downloaded it and let another, unaffiliated carrier pick it up and deliver it.
I had asked for confirmation on this issue and they acted as if this was the lowest form of life. "Oh we would never do that!" Luckily I had witnesses who were there when the President representative stated they would be delivering in the same truck that picked up.
A pale blue, almost new Chesterfield leather sofa was ripped and stored on it's end/arm.The marble top of a 1920's French sideboard broken in two. The list was endless. There was over $50,000 of damages and loss.
I had called my insurance company (USAA) to double check if I needed additional insurance. I was told "no , completely covered" I even went through the list of items with them.
Rule # 2 Triple check with your home owner's policy carrier.
I was only partially covered. Even though they had mis-advised, they stuck to their contact. My fault entirely for not reading the small print.
Did President try to make amends or take responsibility? Only to say "sorry, we messed up" When I asked for reimbursement their insurance company offered $200!
I am now dealing with the Dept of Transportation, The NY State Attorney General's Office and Better business Bureau amongst others.
For photos of before and after please contact me.
The rogues at President are Kosta, Josef, Mike. They will tell you any story to get the job.
Please beware of President Moving and Storage 718 874 2874
Based in the Bronx and operating throughout the New York, New Jersey areas

Noone

Re: PRESIDENT MOVING AND STORAGE

Postby Noone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm sorry to hear you had damages, but something you said caught my eye - that they unloaded into your storage facility unsupervised? Who was there on your part to sign the paperwork? If no one was, as "unsupervised" seems to imply, how can you be sure the damage occurred in transit and not after unloading into the facility? How do you know that they didn't deliver in the same truck that was picked up in?

I'm not doubting what you said, however it is always the shipper's (customer's) responsibility to have someone be at delivery to receive and sign for the goods, and notate damage on the delivery slip. I'm amazed they would delivery without that (someone there on your behalf).

As for insurance, if you decided not to insure through the moving company, they are limited to 60 cents per pound per article. Howeowners insurance is very limited on damages which happen during a move, and yes, you MUST read the contract.

helenyoung

Postby helenyoung » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks for your response .
Yes, all salient points.
President Moving advertise and present themselves as professionals. They employ trained staff and, like other companies, should be perfectly capable of delivering a shipment intact, with no damages and no losses, without supervision.
The bottom line is, President did not keep to the agreed, contracted procedure and did not take responsibility for the amazing mess they created.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Did they even offer you full replacement valuation? If not please place that in the complaint with the FMCSA as well.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 am

I'm curious about the coverage you DID have. We do know that USAA is one of, if not the only, household insurance that covers goods in transit. Can you tell us what the limits to that coverage is?

Return to “Report A Scam”