American Way Van Lines - Brooklyn NY - MC # 420391

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
shannonbad

American Way Van Lines - Brooklyn NY - MC # 420391

Postby shannonbad » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:56 am

My clients just sold their home and moved from New Jersey to South Carolina. They were just informed a few days ago that their belongings were stolen by the driver of the moving truck.

MusicMom

Re: American Way Van Lines - Brooklyn NY - MC # 420391

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:24 am

Can you give some more details, please?

dmaaaf

Postby dmaaaf » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:18 am

I'd love to know what's going on too. I've been waiting three weeks with multiple excuses for my delivery from the American Way.

nocarrier

Postby nocarrier » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:01 am

SAme thing just happned to me, move from east to west coast. Guys here are total crooks !

recentlyscammed

Postby recentlyscammed » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:35 pm

Avoid American Way Van Lines from Brooklyn at all costs. I moved from East to West Coast as well, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Wish I would of checked this site sooner. Classic Scam in all ways. Charged by cubic feet, not weight. Because they "didn't weigh" the van ahead of time, when I demanded a weigh-in (I weighed everything by hand before the move so I knew what was on the truck) they said they would charge me $175/per person/per hour to move everything onto the scale and back. Top it off with the worst customer service ever, half my stuff broken, and having paid twice the amount is was worth to get it back.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:00 am

Two big no-nos, Cubic Feet and charging for a re-weigh.

Please file your complaint here (see top right of this page), and you can have that complaint sent on to the DOT.

recentlyscammed

Postby recentlyscammed » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:39 pm

... Shouldn't this company be added to The Black List? I'm seeing more complaints pop up about them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:50 pm

Let me look into it...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Unfortunately, not a single one of these posters have filed a complaint with the website. It's more than just writing in anonymously, there must be a lot of information gathered from the complainant.

recentlyscammed

Postby recentlyscammed » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:03 pm

I'll make sure to file a formal complaint. Been too busy (a lot with trying to now file for damages to the delivered items). After reading on this site the morning after the scam, my case appears to be very "textbook" and very aligned with other companies trying to build a business off of these situations.

F'd Over

Postby F'd Over » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:00 am

American Way Van Lines are crooks through and through. Budget Van Lines who subcontracted out to them are just as bad.

The movers (Pablo and Luis...which I don't think were their real names) who moved our items from North Carolina to the West tried to extort $800+ from us in moving supplies after they packed all of our items onto their truck. I showed them the contract I signed with Budget and American Way and they said "Oh, no worries" and said "It must have been a misunderstanding". However, when they went to deliver our items (which were two weeks past the date we contracted with them on), Steve the manager said we had to pay for the supplies as well as $2,300 more than they told us it would be...or we would not get our items. I told them I would contact my attorney and that is when they transferred the call to Haim (the owner) who said "they" must have misunderstood the weight...however, he could not lower the money on the $800 worth of supplies. When they finally delivered our items, a number of items were missing, including:
* Expensive sofa
* King-size matress
* Lawn mower

I have made more than 25 calls to Budget and American Way and neither have ever replied to my calls. I have also e-mailed three people at Budget (Amy, Alba and Sam) and have not received as much as a peep. I am sure Budget and American Way hope that I will be one of those who will get so frustrated that I will simply forget it and leave it be. Unfortunately for them, I am not one of those people. I have contacted a close friend who is an attorney and he is filing tort papers in my state, New York (where American Way and Budget is based).

I believe that for anyone to do business with either Budget or American Way...they are simply setting themselves up for a loss of items and HUGE frustrations.

recentlyscammed wrote:Avoid American Way Van Lines from Brooklyn at all costs. I moved from East to West Coast as well, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Wish I would of checked this site sooner. Classic Scam in all ways. Charged by cubic feet, not weight. Because they "didn't weigh" the van ahead of time, when I demanded a weigh-in (I weighed everything by hand before the move so I knew what was on the truck) they said they would charge me $175/per person/per hour to move everything onto the scale and back. Top it off with the worst customer service ever, half my stuff broken, and having paid twice the amount is was worth to get it back.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:40 am

F'ed Over,

Can you give us the phone numbers you have for these 2 companies?

Have you contacted Move Rescue at www.moverescue.com ?

Also, did you see my post of Where to Complain?
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9256

F'd Over

Postby F'd Over » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:10 pm

I have used the phone #s listed on the American Way Van Lines and Budget Van Lines websites:
* American Way Van Lines = 800-781-7050
* Budget Van Lines = 212-380-1812

In addition, I have called the cell # of the owner of American Way Van Lines.

I have not contacted Move Rescue, but I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

farrah7031 wrote:F'ed Over,

Can you give us the phone numbers you have for these 2 companies?

Have you contacted Move Rescue at www.moverescue.com ?

Also, did you see my post of Where to Complain?
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9256

F'd Over

Postby F'd Over » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:48 am

One more thing, I reported this to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Better Business Bureau of New York.

I suggest anyone who has had a complaint with American Way file a complaint at: http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/busi ... Only=False

You can see that American Way is a member of the BBB and you will see that only 3 complaints have been filed against them in 36 months. I recommend that those of you who have had problems, also file a complaint.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:17 pm

Unfortunately the BBB won't do much for your. They'll take the report and that will be about all.

You need to contact Move Rescue if you haven't already.

Return to “Report A Scam”