Rainier Overseas Movers Review

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
marygage

Rainier Overseas Movers Review

Postby marygage » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:47 pm

It has been a year now, and I had great intentions of writing this review just after my move to France, but the move by Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc (Rep: David Wiviott) was so unbelievably wonderful that I got so busy living in France and have lived with the pangs of guilt for not having done this each time I thought of it.
So, the facts, I needed to move to Paris, France where I was to marry on the 12th September and only fixed the date in July, so started to look for a mover on a tight schedule. I was greatly relieved to find the movingscam.com site, as I had done some browsing through a google search and reached all the scary movers reviewed here. So I read the article on international moves, and decided to start with the international movers recommended on the site. I contacted three, Sterling International, Stevens Worldwide, and Rainier Overseas Movers.
I never heard back from Sterling. Got an immediate reply in the form of a canned email from Jill Lickey at Stevens (which still managed to miss spell my surname….), but was happy enough, as it asked if I wanted a free home visit estimate. I immediately replied I did, and got an immediate reply asking for my address and saying I would get a call from the local movers guy to do the estimate. I immediately replied and supplied my address. Turns out that was it till I resent my last email a week later to ask just when I would get that call.
David answered just as immediately by sending a form for me to give an indication of what I was shipping, and then they would send a guy out. I was a bit intimidated by the form (how much detail??? And they didn’t have a description for the portable hammock???), so I called him. And, I was afraid with all these that I had chosen a peak time and so maybe to get it done in a month was too optimistic. So I called David, and he told me not to worry about the level of detail, and that he thought there would be no problem to get a move date at the end of August.
In the end, after pinging Stevens, I had two estimates. They were pretty close, but Stevens was less. So I called David. The truth is, I was biased towards David because Jill dropped the ball, as it were, for that week. So, if during the call he continued to make me feel like I was in safe hands, I would go with him. I told him I had the two estimates, and that his was higher—so I wanted him to convince me to take his offer. He pointed out the difference in the type of estimate—Rainier’s was final—there was a chance that Steven’s would be more if the actual was heavier than the estimate, and another bit about the length from the door to the stuff to be moved—and that was significant since I lived on the 4th floor of an apartment building and at the very far end from the elevator.
Once I went with Rainier it was cake. David was wonderful—I was having to go through the crazy bureaucracy of getting my visa-with-intent-to-marry for France and found my self at the consulate in Chicago with them asking for a date for my move to arrive—I called David right there and he gave me the scheduled arrival date at Le Havre. Every thing was a non-problem. He sent all my other inquiries to the French contacts, and I got all the info and help I needed for customs to go smoothly. The local movers, Berger Allied in Minneapolis St Paul, did such a good job that, not only was NOTHING damaged in any sense, but the French unpackers were amazed at how well everything was protected and said they had never seen an international move with out at least one thing damaged. The other French arm was great too. We tried to go on a little trip to the Cote D’Azur but had to cut it short because the move was absolutely on schedule—but the contact Jennifer Mazet with European Relocation Services was kind enough to verify that the move arrived in Le Havre on schedule and so we drove back up to Paris—and indeed the truck scheduled for 9am arrived at 9am.

There, I think I covered the important bits. There were some other details, but they all just reinforce that the move was heaven. And I feel bad that I never answered David Wiviott’s prompt inquiry as to how my move went, but my intent was to answer him with the posting on movingscam.com. So now I have answered—I recommend Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc to anyone, and if I ever have to make a similar move will start with them.

So a big THANKS to David Wiviott and Rainier Overseas Movers and all their partners in St Paul Minn and France!!!
HappyMoveToFrance

Noone

Re: Rainier Overseas Movers Review

Postby Noone » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Congratulations on the wedding, and thanks for letting us know.

laurengr

Postby laurengr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Moving from Baltimore, Maryland to Sydney, Australia

Ok, I used Rainier for my move as well. I won't go into as much detail though, cause I don't think it really matters. I heard about Rainier on this website. I contacted them, as well as DOZENS of others (Sterling and Stevens included). Rainier was not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either, and had a good reputation so I went with them.

Timeline:
Sept 25 - Belongings (200 cft / 1 crate) picked up from house
Oct 29 - Items shipped (had been stored in warehouse for 1 month)
Dec 17 - Shipment arrives to port in Australia
Jan 5 - Scheduled for quarantine inspection
Jan 7 - Scheduled for customs inspection
Jan 11 - cleared customs
Jan 18 - Scheduled for delivery (we'll see)

They had a guarantee of 80-100 days. Have already gone past the 100 days and have not been in contact since end of November! David Wiviott did an average job of keeping me updated on the status of my move, but mostly left me in the hands of his subcontractors at the different locations. Overall, I have not been too pleased so far. Hopefully I will finally get my things on Monday and can update this with more pleasant thoughts.

Postby 23 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

That sounds about as honest as you can get! Thank you for the review and good luck getting your stuff on Monday. Hopefully David can read this and learn about communication as this may help him with future reviews!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 pm

From the time your shipment was loaded, until arrival in Australia was 83 days. Unfortunately, once a shipment arrives at a port, it is not released to the carrier until it clears all port necessities, i.e. inspections, quarantines, etc. Your shipment arrived right around the Christmas Holidays, and that may have added to the delay.

If you know who the delivering agent is, you might inquire as to the delay, and they would obviously have more direct knowledge than Rainier.

Rainier probably held your shipment until it could be consolidated with shipments that would fill a container.

We get a lot of shipments into the Port of Los Angeles, and they sometimes sit for 2 - 3 weeks before customs releases them, just by basis of volume.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “International Moves”