SOS Affordable Movers

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Mr_T

SOS Affordable Movers

Postby Mr_T » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Has anyone used this company before. I am moving from Los Angeles to Madrid. They claim they are members of the FMC and IAM yet I can not find them on the OTI list. What are the risks using a sales agent with no FMC number. I gave them a deposit only so far. Not feeling very comfortable now that I found out they are not bonded and no license. Can anyone recommend a good company that ships to Spain from Los Angeles... I am new to this international shipping contracts.. thank you...

Noone

Re: SOS Affordable Movers

Postby Noone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:11 pm

The big risk of using an unlicensed broker is this - if he doesn't care enough about the law to get s license (when it is required), what makes you think he'll care about honoring his contract? And since he's not licensed, the FMC won't be able to help much if there is a problem.

Check out the suggested forwarders here:
http://www.movingscam.com/international ... _guide.php

or look on the superlist for a local agent of a major van lines, and have three come to do an in home survey and quote.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 pm

What you first need to do is call them and simply ask "what's your license number?" Then ask "what agency is that license with?" Sometimes it's a matter of a company being unlicensed, sometimes it's a matter of not being able to find them on the list because they use a legal name and a doing-business-as name. Give them a chance, but be cautious.

If they aren't properly licensed for overseas shipments, cancel by certified letter, and if need be, file a dispute with your credit card if you don't get your deposit back.

Mr_T

Postby Mr_T » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:42 pm

I ended up using SOS Int. Tony was very helpful and sent over a professional packing company he works with here in Los Angeles. My house was packed up in 1.5 days and fit into a 20 ft container. The move is going smooth so far. I sent separate payment to the NVOCC Rose Container Line to cover the shipping cost to Valencia. The insurance is paid by SOS thru (Loyds London). When my shipment gets to Valencia I will use a company that SOS uses in Spain and pay them myself in EUROS. I would have preferred to pay using one check only, but as long as my stuff get there OK its all good. I will update mb on the arrival and delivery of my goods in a few weeks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Were you able to.find out what their license number is? Check your paperwork, please.

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:25 am

I sugest you find out from Rose, SOS, and the company in Spain, exactly what the destination THC, Port Fees and NVOCC Charges will be. Find out how many days free storage you get, and when Demurrage starts.

I also suggest that you contact the company in Spain to find out what they need from you to handle customs formalities.

Lastly, get a copy of the Bill of Lading, and make sure (check with the folks in Spain) that it is done properly.

Please come back and let us know how it goes.

I Moved

Postby I Moved » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:50 pm

SOS International Shipping - DO NOT USE

They added 3K to my bill once I couldn't turn back, they gave me a port agency that no longer exists, and provided no assistance with anything once they got their check. It's been over 2 months and I still don't have my things.

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:45 am

Sorry to hear your in a bad situation. This is what you need to do, right away:

1 - contact the FMC and file a complaint - if anyone can help, it's them:
http://www.fmc.gov/resources/requesting ... tance.aspx

2 - Contact the NVOCC to get a copy of the bill of lading and find out where the container actually is.

Once you have that, let me know and I can give some help on how to move forward.

I Moved

Postby I Moved » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Don't use SOS. After committing to utilize SOS Shipping for my move from Rochester, NY to American Samoa with a specific price and delivery date, I was informed that it would cost me an additional $3,000 to get my goods to American Samoa by my deadline. At this point the pick was scheduled and I could not switch companies due to time restraints that SOS was well aware of. The company claimed that the shipping arrangements that they quoted me for could no longer be arranged. I have e-mail records to verify this, as well as the information stated below. Once my belongings were picked up I was only given information upon persistent request. I was also given misinformation of company contacts and my Port Agent, the company name given to me does not exist. I received not assistance in sorting this matter out and had difficulties because I was not the party who hired the different companies involved in this move. Once I received my shipment, which included a car, it was clear that someone had smoked a cigarette in the vehicle and burned the car sears, my child's car seat and belongings which were placed in the car. Additionally, a control arm on the vehicle was broken in the move, the vehicle was inspected and driven by an insured driver and was in excellent condition. It appears that none of the insurance companies will take responsibility for the damage I just mentioned, I am still working with them to obtain reimbursement to the damage done to the exterior of the car.

sosshipping1

Postby sosshipping1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:58 am

Re: Shipment of Household Goods & Vehicle to Pago Pago, American Samoa:

Please be advised that we provided customer with two separate shipping options prior to collecting his goods here in the USA, one was a direct service which cost $3,000.00 more than a non direct service. Customer wanted his shipment to arrive Pago Pago seaport by a certain date and paid my company the additional $3,000.00 for the faster service. After he then received his shipment overseas he filed a complaint with the BBB trying to say that we misled him somehow, when the fact is that he requested the faster service and then did not want to pay for it. Again we provided him with the different shipping options before we charged him any money and before we scheduled the actual moving date with him. It's only after he received his shipment in American Samoa did these complaints come about. Regarding the ongoing insurance claim, please note that our shipping insurance has a $500.00 deductible and only covers damages to vehicles that happen while the vehicle is onboard the shipping vessel only (port-to-port only). We have condition reports showing that this vehicle was in good condition when it was loaded inside of the container and when unloaded from the container overseas, therefore the insurance company will not pay out this claim as of yet. The insurance claim is currently still in process. Also it's funny how the insurance claim amount being requested for is very close to $3,000.00. SOS International Shipping has done everything to assist this customer and customer has received his shipment overseas within the time frame he requested for, as per our legal contract which he signed prior to us collecting his goods. I don't understand how this is shown as a Moving Scam when my company has done everything correctly regarding his shipment.

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:58 pm

SOSShipping,

This is not showing as a moving scam - it is in the general section of International moves.

The shipper above had several complaints, including slow communications, being given wrong information, as well as the damage and insurance claim.

You have stated your side.

Would you mind telling us your FMC License Number?

Return to “International Moves”