Moving from Atlanta, GA to Germany

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
esorenna

Moving from Atlanta, GA to Germany

Postby esorenna » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I am moving back to Germany in April. I am taking no furniture (except 1 queen size matrass) with me, only house hold goods. And I am trying to do my homework as good as possible.
I was quoted 2100lbs (about 60 boxes) in a 20` container for $7,070.00
or
sharing a container with somebody for $ 6.360.00.

Why do I still need to pay over two thirds of the whole container price if I share it?
I read about a lift van for around 4k and this company wants to charge me so much more?
Help!!!

Thanks.

Noone

Re: Moving from Atlanta, GA to Germany

Postby Noone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 am

When you ship a partial container, there is a lot more work involved - crating your goods, extra handling, etc. This adds costs.

Likewise, depending on where in Germany you are moving, the inland transport costs can be quite high for LCL (usually by truck) versus FCL (usually by train).

However many charges (like the cost of clearing customs, etc) stay the same.

So if you ship half of a container, you will pay more than half of the cost of taking an exclusive container.

Have 3 companies come to do an in home survey and quote accordingly:
http://www.movingscam.com/international ... _guide.php

esorenna

Postby esorenna » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:36 am

So, if they have to put stuff into one container but from 2 different customers, that's more work?
I never thought about a train. Wouldn't it be more work to put everything on a train and from the train back onto a truck? I mean, who lives just across a train station? ;)
I also didn't know that a "lift van" is going into a container. Thought a lift van is a "big box", weatherproof, sealed and loaded onto the ship.

Thanks for your reply :)

Noone

Postby Noone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 pm

A lift van is a wooden box, which then gets loaded into a container.

If the container is all yours, it can get loaded directly at your home, and sealed.

Then the container is dropped off right to the ship line (if they are sailing out of Atlanta) or a Ship Line Terminal (who can send the container by train to the port of exit - maybe Baltimore, Miami, New York, etc).

If you take a lift van, the local company shows up with a truck (not the container) and loads the goods onto the truck, then unloads them into the warehouse, then loads them into the lift-vans. At this point, the lift vans may go into the container, (if the company is "building" the container in Atlanta) of the lift-vans may be trucked to the consolidating warehouse (the place where they gather all of the lift-vans to go into the container) before the container is sealed.

So yes, shipping by lift-vans involves more handling of your goods before they actually go into the container.

On the other side of the pond, the handling is similar - an exclusive container can go right to your home there, but lift-vans must first be pulled out of the container, and then loaded onto a truck going your way.

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:36 pm

When considering full container versus less than containers (LCL) one of the biggest expenses is called terminal handling charges. In the Germany you can expect to pay $50 per cubic meter or more just for this service. Your shipment via LCL would have at least 2 liftvans which total about 11.4 cubic meters. the THC alone is $570. A 20' container only has about $325 for the THC.

Then there are vaious othe charges such as the liftvan cost. Each of those can cost $75 to $100 for used (if used are even available) and $200 for new ones. You have trucking to the port and consolidation costs. That said. most of the consolidators ship your type of shipment into the UK because it is easier to clear customs and they then deliver from there.

Depending on the origin agents costs and their profit margin and the profit margins of the consolidator, the cost for 2000 lbs would range in the $5500 to $6500.

usually the breakpoint for shipping full container and the LCL is 2800 lbs. Once you hit the 2800 lbs it becomes cheaper to send it in your own container.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

esorenna

Postby esorenna » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 am

Thank you for your reply and explaining everything! :)

My move is considered a "small move" and I assume they estimated the weight.
Now I have (hopefully) one more question: Will it get cheaper if my weight is lower then they estimated? (Even if I might need 2 lift vans?)
Their estimate was 60 boxes, I can not see 60 boxes except those are really small boxes. Can somebody give me the measurement of a "typical" moving box? Like I mentioned before, I am taking one china set, a few coffee mugs, cloths and some linens with me.

Thanks again!

Noone

Postby Noone » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm

1 - You need to check with them to see how the final weight and size will change the cost.

2 - Have them (and two others) come and do an in home survey. When they are done the survey, they will have done a list of how many boxes, and can tell you what size the boxes are that they plan to use. Dishes go in a different box than books, and clothing goes in another size still - there is no "typical" box size.

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Small Cartons are 12"x12"x16" (1.5 cf) mediums are 18"x18"x16" (3.0 cf) and dishpacks are 18"x18"x28" (5.2 cf) If you decide to pack your own boxes, (note some movers don't accept owner packed cartons) leave them open to be inspected and sealed by the mover. Although this is not mandatory, it is important that you correctly label the contents of what is in the carton. If you mislabel the carton and customs inspects the shipment you could be subject to penalties.

As for cost savings if your weight is less than estimated will vary with each mover. Most ocean freight is by cubic feet. It is the origin services and the trucking to the port is done by weight. If you have two lift vans then if your weight goes down you might have a small reduction in costs.

A liftvan measures on average at 87"x45"x87" on the outside. Inside is less. If you were to take what you want to ship and stack in in the following space on your floor: 84" x 42" and stack in no higher than 82" then that would be what you can put into a single liftvan. to make it easier you could do 84" x 84" x 41" stack would also work. If you have a sofa that is over 86" you might have an issue.

Hope this helps.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

esorenna

Postby esorenna » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:21 pm

You guys are great and I really appreciate all your help!!!

I had 2 moving companies going through my house already, the 3rd one is coming next week.
So far I got 1 quote (the one I've mentioned in the beginning).
I was told that a lift van is 8`long, 8` high and 4`wide (which honestly doesn't mean anything to me, because I just can't imaging that kind of space filled with boxes).
18"x18"x16" = about 45cm x 45cm x 40cm - no wonder they quoted me so many boxes :(.
Seriously, what can you fit in such a "small" box? 15 T-Shirts? They quoted me for 323 cubic feet means the majority will be 18"x18"x16" boxes.
Is this something I should be "aware" of? >>>
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED: (unless specified in our proposal)

• Import customs duty/tax/inspection or quarantine charges if any
• Port demurrage or extra storage/warehouse handling at destination

Thanks again! :)

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 pm

They should have a cube sheet done on what it going to take to pack you. If you want a general idea on what goes in what type of boxes you can view this webpage, http://www.mayflower.com/moving/moving- ... g-tips.htm It is very good. The wardrobe box on this page would not be the one they use for overseas. That one is flat and much smaller also.

small moving boxes are ideal for heavy items such as books, tools, CD's or record albums.

Medium moving boxes are ideal for kitchen items, small appliances and toys.
Box dimensions: 18" x 18" x 16" (3.0 cu/ft)

large moving box is ideal for lightweight, bulky items such as lampshades, stereo speakers, electronic equipment, stuffed animals or clothing.

Box dimensions: 18" x 18" x 24" (4.5 cu/ft)

The extra large moving box is ideal for lightweight, bulky items such as linens, comforters, pillows and towels.

Box dimensions: 24" x 18" x 24" (6.0 cu/ft)

Dish Pack Specifically designed with double-walled extra protection for china, antiques or fragile items.

Box dimensions are: 18" x 18" x 28" (5.2 cu/ft)
Side handles for easy lifting

Mirror box - 37" x 4" x 27" - (2.3 cu / ft)

37" x 4" x 27" - (2.3 cu / ft) Adjustable to fit the pictures and Mirrors

And there are many others as well for special items like Flat Screens, always best to use original box though.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 am

Most people drastically underestimate the number of boxes they will have. Take the time now to go through your stuff, and get rid of what you don't really want or need.

Also, review the survey sheets done by each company. This will help you understand how many boxes were set for books, how many for clothing, etc.

esorenna

Postby esorenna » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am

You guys are awsome. Thank you so very much!!

The "problem" is - I leave certain things here, ok I'll save on moving costs, but I have to buy it new in Germany on a very limited income.
Or I'll take it with me, save money because I don't have to buy it new, but have to pay more @ movers. Which makes more sense? Probably buying it new, right?

2 surveyors - both didn't leave me a survey sheet :(

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 am

Ask both surveyors for a copy of the survey sheet. Let them know you are trying to sere if it makes sense to cut back and save the money to replace the goods in Germany.

Once you have that, you can figure out the cost of shipping a specific piece (more or less) versus buying it there (check on the internet for prices there).

I just don't know the cost of things in Germany.

esorenna

Postby esorenna » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Got both inventory lists and I was thinking .... 2000lbs to move to Germany - mainly cloths, linens, towels, 1 china, a few coffee mugs (sentimental) and a few nick nacks. Lets say 1000 lbs in cloths. Right there I have to ask myself ... wth? Called the Postal Office and I was told that 1 box 17,5" wide, 17,5" high and 33,5" long with max. 70 lbs would cost me $184.00. Now I am considering to cut my weight in half, go with 1 lift van, sent 5 boxes each 70 lbs. with cloths for roughly 1,000.00$ and saved.

This >>>Any extensive Customs exam/inspection fees or quarantine/fumigation fees imposed by Customs at destination.
makes me kinda nervous. God knows how much that would cost me IF :(

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am

Customs inspections are pretty rare, and the shipping company can give you an idea of what a standard inspection should be.

If you decide to ship the goods by post, read the rules on the USPS website carefully.

Return to “International Moves”