Reviews of international movers (June 2004 to present)

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
vasandhya

Re: Reviews of international movers (June 2004 to present)

Postby vasandhya » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi,
Actually I called all 4 movers who have been recognized as good one in this message for moving from los angeles to mumbai. All of them talked about quote depending on cubic feet and not the weight. As I read from the other posts that it is a red flag, can someone help me? Is it normal to quote on cubic feet rather than weight, for international move?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Yes, international movers are quoted in cubic feet - no need to worry.

Read this article:
http://www.movingscam.com/news/internationalMove.shtml

vasandhya

Postby vasandhya » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:35 pm

Thank you so much for quick reply. I have one more question. Has anyone have anything to report for international movers: air7seas. I checked on ripoffreport.com, movingscam.com. Did not find anything -ve. I checked r2i(return to india) on sify and found positive responses. Please let me know if anyone has 1st hand experience with them. Thank you.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 am

Click on Search at the top of the page and type in "air 7 seas" (in quotes).

Anxiousnotobeswindled

Postby Anxiousnotobeswindled » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

I couldn't make sense of the discrepancy between the reportedly great experiences with Southern Winds and one REally bad one. I need to move my mother's stuff from Ventura County Ca. to the UK and absolutely do not want to repeat all the bad experiences we have had in the past of things 'walking' and being smashed. My mother is 90 years old and fragile, and I need everything to run completely smoothly and everything to arrive in perfect condition. Are there any failsafes in choosing a company?

I am also considering shipping some of it to France and some to the UK. Will it need to go as two separate moves or could it all come to the UK, with some sent on to France from there by the same company?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Re-posting a useful review of a move of household goods and two cars from Phoenix to Honolulu. The poster said previously that he/she chose Allied (Dirck's) over Southern Winds because Allied's quote was $500 cheaper. He/she used Pasha to transport the cars. Note:- as of 6/08 Dirck's is now a Mayflower agent. Southern Winds would have used Beltmann to do the pickup and packing in Phoenix.
Parser wrote: 4/29/08 - Review of Allied: It took two men two days to pack us. We tipped them $20 each both days and bought them lunch and dinner both days. We were very friendly to them and thanked them throughout the packing. They did an OK job. I think it turned out to be a lot more than the company had expected. It should have been a three-person job. Then we got a call that not everything was going to fit in the 20-foot container. This was disappointing because everyone seemed to be confident everything was going to fit during the estimate phase. We would have done a better job preparing if we’d known this was a problem. We were inexperienced at moving overseas. I’d recommend anyone who hasn’t done it before to take a look at a 20-foot container before packing. My wife and I ended up going to the Dircks warehouse to personally pick some things out to leave behind. The Dircks warehouse was a very clean professional facility and they seemed like they wanted to help. We picked 30 items out to leave behind. The weight of the container matched the estimate so at least there were no surprises there.

Our container arrived in Hawaii in 15 days. That was much earlier than we had anticipated. Guess we caught a shipping schedule just right and it did not languish on the docks. Aloha International did the unpack. Three guys got it done in a half day. We also tipped each of them $20 each and bought them lunch. They did an OK job, too. Some of the furniture was assembled a little sloppy, but was easy to fix. They seemed to be in a hurry to finish for the day even though they told us it was their only job that day.

As we unpacked boxes the next several days we discovered some of the materials we marked to leave behind were packed and some of the things we did not agree to leave behind were left behind. We have some suspicions that one of the packers had his eye on a couple of the items that didn’t get put in the container. We called Dircks and had them deliver some of the items to a relative’s home in Phoenix. We told Dircks to donate the rest to Goodwill.

So all in all, it was an OK move, but not a great move. I would have like to see what the extra $500 would have gotten us with Southern Winds.

Review of Pasha: As for our cars, they were picked up by a truck and taken to Pasha in San Diego. The truck service would only give us a three-day window for pickup and then a 24-hour notice. Clearly the best way to have done it would have been to drive the cars to San Diego ourselves and then fly back to Phoenix. Or, drive the cars to San Diego and fly from there to Hawaii. Unfortunately, neither of those options worked for us and we had to pay the extra to have the truck transport our vehicles to San Diego. Our vehicles arrived on schedule and picking them up wasn’t a problem. As mentioned in an earlier post, the only surprise with Pasha was the extra $300 charge for the minivan being 2 inches too tall. We also had to remove paint and stickers on the windshield with nail polish remover. But all and all, we were pleased with the courtesy and professionalism of all the Pasha people and would recommend them.

We learned a lot in this move and would be happy to share additional thoughts with anyone else making such a move. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15738
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Here's a mixed report on Schumacher Cargo Logistics for a small shipment from NYC to Paris in the summer of 2007 (they were cheaper than some other companies but service was not so good) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13968

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:39 am

There's a very bad report on Schumacher here (for auto transport) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16884

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:35 am

Re-posting a very good review of Allied International and Prestige Moving in Oregon (origin agent) for a move to France in 4/08:
Patti wrote:I moved from Beaverton, OR to Lyon, France in April. I was worried about the shipping company as it was a big move and fast approaching. I was so thankful for the advice on this website, and I want to repay everyone by sharing my experience. I think it is faster for choosing a company if people post their positive experiences as references.

I used Allied Van Lines as my international mover and my local agent was Prestige Moving and Storage in Wilsonville. They packed most of my things, but I packed alot of the little knick knack ornaments which I think saved us a lot of time. My things went in a 20ft container and we followed it to their office to get the final weight of the shipment. They called the next day with the cost. They had overestimated the weight, so we ended up with a slightly higher rate than quoted, but still less than the original estimate. I think they have to make a certain amount of money for the overseas shipment with a container. Anyway, I had full coverage insurance and extra mechanical derangement protection as well. Everything went smoothly although I don't think the office personnel was very experienced in the insurance department.

Our things were due to arrive in approx one month. Well, France had a port strike at that moment which lasted several months. My things went to Italy for awhile, then to Spain for awhile as we were waiting for an opening in the port schedule in France and things are not allowed to sit on the boat. Thank God my stuff was all in one container!!! It was getting moved around much more than it should have and I was afraid of what I would find upon delivery. Finally, on July 4th, my things made it to my new home but this was no fault of the shippers. Surprisingly everything was in perfect condition. javascript:emoticon(':D') The destination agent was very helpful and we enjoyed working with them during unpacking. We didn't unpack everything but did inspect the furniture and opened some boxes. No damage at all. Even my TV, DVD player, CD player and Stereo works just fine. I am very happy with this move and would definitely recommend them for long distance moves. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17082

ireemama

Postby ireemama » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:25 pm

I just moved to Scotland from the US and used Stevens International. This site highly recommends them, but I have been severely disappointed. The movers arrived at my home in New Mexico in mid-May and my goods were in LA a few days later. Stevens told me I'd expect my goods no later than the end of July. It's mid-August and they're now telling me it will be late September or October! My goods have been sitting in LA for 3 months. The reason I was given is that they can't find a vessel to put my goods on! I have very few things, no furniture, and a small amount of boxes. I arranged everything with them in March, so I have no idea why they didn't arrange a vessel for my goods within those two months before my move. I also have no idea how they haven't found a spot for my goods in the last 3 months either! So, I've been incredibly disappointed, but others had success with them. The worst thing is that all my winter clothes are in those boxes (since I was expecting a July delivery) and it's already very cold here! At this point I even wonder if I still have goods, since they haven't told me where my things are right now and if they're in a safe and secure place.
In addition to this problem, they also were horrible with answering my emails. I emailed them repeatedly with no response, which was because they had spelled my name incorrectly and sent all of my emails (with payment information) to the wrong person! I was pretty mad that this personal information about payments went to someone else.
I really wish I had used a different mover. Then, maybe, I would have my warm sweaters and heavy blankets that are needed in the northern UK this time of year!

notmeyer

Postby notmeyer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Please note my HORRIBLE experience with Stevens International on a move from Italy to San Francisco. We're still fighting and I am most likely going to take them to court for negligence for all the damage they caused.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118831

As the poster before me noted, they also left my things in storage in Italy for a month because they "couldnt find a vessel".

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:07 am

Re-posting a very favorable review of Sentry (international division of Suddath) in Jacksonville, FL for a move from Orlando to Australia:
paulj wrote: 10/10/08 - If anyone is considering a move out of the USA and they have an option to use Sentry Suddath in Jacksonville, do it!

I researched various companies prior to moving from Orlando to the Gold Coast - Sentry did an in-house inspection, a detailed written quote, were always contactable and always helpful.

The packers were also great, and yesterday when our container was unpacked here by Kent Int'l there was not a single item broken (not even our Margarita glasses).

Sentry's estimate worked out almost to the dollar in actual costs, we had some extras for delivery to a higher floor though which added $$.

Speak to Chris, Mike or Tara when you call them.

"One happy customer" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17411

See this thread for other positive comments about Sentry (Suddath) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16807
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cab

Postby cab » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Just to give people a head's up. We moved from Minneapolis, MN to Sydney, Australia. We ALMOST used EOM Shipping, which would have been a HUGE mistake. This web site saved us a great deal of money. EOM still refuses to return our $1000 deposit, blatantly stealing our money... but it could have been much worse.

Do not use this company as there have been numerous issues, including the above issue. We used Rainier Overseas Moving which was GREAT and there were no issues with them. EOM, however, was virtually unreachable, unresponsive, and now dishonest.

If you are looking for a trustworthy, responsive, and honest shipper, use Rainier.

AVOID, at all costs, the creeps at EOM!!!

cab

Postby cab » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:24 pm

All the international movers we contacted used cubic feet. Rainier Overseas Moving was the one we used and were VERY pleased as there were no issues what-so-ever in our move from Minneapolis to Sydney.

davidr

Postby davidr » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:41 am

I came across movingscam.com while planning a small shipment of household goods from Los Angeles to Australia. I found the advice invaluable and requested quotes from the recommended companies and found the prices to be similar.
I dealt with Michael at Southern Winds who was great and my shipment arrived on time and in good condition. Michael was polite, willing to share his knowledge and made sure that I was aware of additional costs that I could incur with Australian customs etc.
Thanks so much for this great site!

Return to “International Moves”