Need Reputable Mover: From NJ To AZ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mnebaum

Need Reputable Mover: From NJ To AZ

Postby mnebaum » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:31 pm

Hello All,

First, thank you to everyone who provides info and advice on this great site. It is greatly appreciated and needed by many people. Please keep up your good work.

My husband and I moved from Queens, NY to Central NJ in 2002. At the time, we used Kens Moving and Storage, out of Maspeth, NY.
CONTACT INFORMATION:
PHONE: 718-639-8686
FAX: 718-457-7905
EMAIL: KEN@KENSMOVINGANDSTORAGE.COM

A friend at work had recommended them and I guess we got lucky for a first time move because we did not know about your site at the time and chose them strictly on a word of mouth recommendation... but they were very professional. They came on time and the people doing the actual moving worked very hard, and were very careful with our things. We later recommended them to our friends, family and colleagues and they also had a very positive moving experience with this company.

We are now moving again in Nov 2007. This time from NJ to Arizona (the Phoenix area to be exact) We have been researching moving companies since last year and it seems that just when we are about to choose a mover we uncover something negative about the company.

We have now chosen University Van Lines in Rahway and Wade Odell Wade (United) in Midland Park and will be contacting them for estimates soon. Both of these companies have several good reviews on this site but
we were curious if anyone has used either one of these movers recently and what was your experience? We greatly appreciate any feedback or advice.

Many thanks to all.
Sincerely,
Liz

Diane

Re: Need Reputable Mover: From NJ To AZ

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi, Liz -

Check out the Superlist linked to below my name under "New Jersey" for Wade Odell Wade. University Van Lines is listed there too but it also has its own review thread. I don't think there have been any reviews posted VERY recently. However, good companies like these don't normally change very much from year to year. Many people have gotten estimates from both companies over the past summer but just haven't posted the final outcome.

Thanks for the recommendation of Ken's Moving.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

mnebaum

Postby mnebaum » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:40 am

Hi Diane,

Thank you for your response. I will definately check out the Superlist link on this site. Also, I will come back and post the progress of our move once we have decided who we are going to go with.

Regards,
Liz

mnebaum

Re: Moving: From NJ To AZ -Caution Wade Odell Wade

Postby mnebaum » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 pm

I have investigated further Wade Odell Wade (Midland Park NJ) and have uncovered (three) negative posting on RipoffReport.com - I am including the link here to these posting. please see below

This is very disconcerting and troublesom. I doubt we will even call them for an estimate after uncovering this. I just wanted to pass along this info to others as a caution.

clicks below --to read all three posting

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/1 ... 155058.htm

Wade Odell Wade - United Van Lines ripoff deceptive lied to overcharged dishonest Midland Park New Jersey -

Wade Odell Wade United Van Lines CAUTION TO ALL! THEFT DURING MOVE Midland Park New Jersey

Wade Odell Wade Aka United Van Lines ripoff dishonest fraudulent insurance claim handling Midland Park New Jersey

Liz
[/quote]

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 am

Your link didn't work, but here's what you were referring to:

http://tinyurl.com/yq6zt6

8/26/05:
Overcharge of $1500 because of packing materials. Could be true, boxes cost a lot.

10/6/05:
Insurance claim did not give what customer thought they were entitled to. No explanation for the difference.

5/1/07:
3 missing boxes of sports memorabilia was denied on the claim because they were Packed By Owner. Unfortunately, insurance will only cover what the movers packed, not the customer, and this is made clear in advance. Customer intimates that the boxes were stolen by an admiring worker during the local move. No mention of a police report filed or not.

In response to these three reports, I would not worry about them. Even though the customer remained dissatisfied, it appears as if WOW followed the regulations and responded as they should have regarding the insurance claims. Customer 3 should have moved the valuables himself, and admitted as such. Customer 1 did not think that the packing materials could add up so much. I don't know what happened with Customer 2, not enough info is given.

These 3 are a small percentage of what WOW actually performs.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:52 am

I agree with MusicMom - I would not worry about these complaints. Also, I notice that the first two were posted by the same customer, so there were actually only two dissatisfied customers, not three.

The first customer said she paid a $650 premium for full replacement value valuation coverage and was compensated with only $450 (after the $250 deductible). She posted as follows:
I submitted a claim in the amount of $10,650.00 for a dining room hutch, a dining room table, a Maytag Washer, a Landice Treadmill, a Bassett Sofa, broken molding and damaged walls.

WOW is paying me only $450.00 (including a $250.00 deductible) towards my claim. I am still owed $10,200.00 in order to replace all the above items that they damaged.

Unless the items were completely destroyed or lost, I believe it is unreasonable for the customer to expect the moving company to pay this amount of money. Obviously I don't know the details, but even with FRV coverage, the company has the option of repairing the damaged item (or paying for the repair) rather than replacing it with a new one.

Every moving company will have dissatisfied customers and I agree with MusicMom that to have only two such customers posting on RipoffReport is actually quite good, given the large number of moves that WOW does. That said, as of today WOW has 10 BBB complaints over the past 36 months while University Van Lines has none that I could find.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:26 am

Oh, I didn't catch that two of those were the same!

mnebaum

Re: Need Reputable Mover: From NJ To AZ - UPDATE

Postby mnebaum » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:40 pm

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you all an update on our move.
After getting the estimates below for a fully furnished 2-bedroom condominium from the two Moving companies below:

Wade Odell Wade -United agent
Sales person: Dick Cooper

Includes moving a shuttle on both if needed, and includes some special packing on some items.

Total costs: 5,320 lb = $4,510.54 - (non-binding estimate ) not to exceed 10% of total cost.

University Van lines
- Atlas agent
Sales person: Bill Quigley

Total costs: 8,000 = $5,850 (binding estimate) $5,850.49

We have decided to go with WOW partly because the United agent has a better reputation and mostly because of reviews on this forum by other members.

Both company reps were very professional, especially Bill Quigley who was very through in his inventory.

But our concern is not so much the price even though the cost of the move is expensive. However, we would gladly pay it if we could be ensured our things are not going to be destroyed, damaged or lost, Or for that, matter held hostage at will if we get a dishonest driver.

We are hoping for the best as far as our choice but we are still very worried because we know there is a third party involved.

We wish we could of done this move ourselves (not possible) or had found an independent mover in NJ with enough good reviews for us to feel comfortable using but we have not.

Our move will be booked for the end of Oct and I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Liz

farrah7031

Re: *Need Reputable Mover: From NJ To AZ

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:29 pm

Posting review sent via PM:
mnebaum wrote:Hello Everyone,

We have been very busy getting settled in our new home in Arizona but I did want to come back and let everyone know how everything went with our move.

We found this site very useful and we are very grateful for the insight and guidance it provided. We could not have done it without you. Thank you all and keep up the good work.

As far as our move with Wade Odell Wade, on a scale of 1 through 10
We would give WADE ODELL WADE a (4)

Would we use them again?

The answer is No

And here is Why.

Our contract stated that our move date was scheduled for 10/31/07and we were told by our customer rep Mia that the mover would contact us the day before to let us know what time they would arrive the following day.

The day before our move, everything was packed and we waited for the call but no one called. Instead, we called them and we were told that our move was not on the schedule. We asked to speak to our contact Mia and they told us she was no longer working at WOW. We then asked to speak to Elizabeth, our other contact, but she was no longer working there either.

At this point, I asked to speak to a manager in customer service who could tell me what was going on regarding our move.

I was passed on to another person who told me that our move was now scheduled for 11/1/07.

We are baffled as to how a huge company such as United Van lines could have such poor customer service standards. Moreover, are there no customer service guidelines that each Moving company has to follow in order to be a United Agent?

Why we were never notified that there had been a change in schedule?
Why did we have to call Wade Odell Wade to find out our move had been rescheduled?

At this point, we lost all confidence, that we had chosen the right moving company.

We were now a day late with our move, and had to rearrange our schedule, which involved the rescheduling of other important things that were contingent on the original date. Having both worked in customer service oriented environments, we knew, Wade Odell Wade dropped the ball on this one.

The second scare came when the driver called on 11/01 to get directions to our home. He was lost, and he was coming from Long Island.

Our move was handled by another United Van Lines affiliate. A moving company that was not even located in our state of NJ. This is business as usual when you use large van lines. If your original mover does not have enough trucks to handle your move, they simply pass you on to an affiliate agent, and take a cut of the commission.

This would have been fine with us, had we been told in advance. The truck that arrived at our door was a Mayflower truck, and the driver and helper had shirts with logo’s from yet another moving company in Connecticut.

Additionally, days before the move we called WOW to confirm that we had requested crating for several large prints and one painting. We were told they were on the contract but, when the mover came, he had no crates or special materials to pack the prints or the painting. He said he had not been notified that we had requested special crating and packing.

On the day of our move, we decide we would just take matters into our own hands and pack the prints and painting ourselves. My husband was just about to run to the store to buy additional packing supplies so that we could pack these things ourselves when we heard the driver talking to WOW about our request. Apparently, there had been some problems with our request but again we were not told what happened?

The driver hung up his cell phone and told us that WOW would be calling us.
A minute went by and our cell phone rang. It was someone name Vernon from WOW to advise us that they had sent another person with crates and packing materials for our prints and painting and to advise us of the additional fees for crating and uncrating.

This again was fine with us but this was already scheduled why was the driver not notified ---beforehand…of our request. It would be 2 hours at least before this other person arrived from Midland Park, NJ to our home with the packing materials.

So here, we were again at the mercy of WOW.
We had done nothing wrong and were paying for this service. Our special crating request was on our original contract. What had happened?

It took the entire day to get everything on the truck and this was with only two people loading the truck.

The Driver arrived at about 900am and they were done about 500pm.

The driver or person who moved most of the boxes was very professional and on the ball but, unfortunately, most of our furniture was scratched or dented and there is even a corner broken off a large wooden double dresser.

However, we did get all our boxes, and that was a major concern of ours. All 145 of them, and 3 rooms of furniture.

In our eyes, the driver from Connecticut was excellent. We know that there is a potential for breakage and damage in a large, long distance move such as ours, and we expected certain minor damages within reason, but we feel that the damage could have been minimized if our driver had hired skilled workers who are experienced with moving furniture. It seemed to us that the helper or helpers on this move were not skilled movers, but, day laborers. I was horrified to see how some of our furniture was handled. It was especially hard to watch because all of our furniture is fairly new and had never been moved, except for the purchase delivery.

Our concern all along had been that it would it would be difficult to predict what we were going to get if we used a van line to move, because there are so many other parties involved. We would have preferred to use a smaller mover who was experience with long distance moves. We believe the service would have been better then using a large conglomerate.

We did find the driver from the Connecticut base affiliate to be responsible and professional but we would NOT RECOMMEND Wade Odell Wade based on their poor customer service and lack of orginization, and truthfully, the fact that we got all of our things back and nothing was stolen was a result of the driver being honest and responsible.

We hope that this information will help to guide other people when planning their move. Moreover, we caution everyone to choose wisely and do as much research as possible before you choose a moving company.

Thanks again to everyone,

Best
Liz

ArchieWhite

Re: **Need Reputable Mover: From NJ To AZ

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 am

This sounds like a classic case of a file overlooked, and not put on the books.....when the shipper called the mover the day before, and found out her rep was no longer working there, I can almost guarantee you that the rep had that shippers file and never processed it, and thus it was never put on the books for the operations dept. Whoever replaced the rep, should have gone thru anything that looked pending and dealt with it. From what I am hearing, movers all over are laying people off, maybe this shipper got caught in a situation where her paperwork was just left lying around on a desk that was not occupied, and the shippers call caused a frantic search for the paperwork, and somebody to do the moving. Luckily they were able to do her move 1 day late, could have been worse. So her complaint about WOW is probably valid, but it was not anything that was intentional, sounds like to me, just poor management of the sales coordination department. We've had that to happen here, a customer will call to see what time the movers are coming tomorrow, and we are caught flatfooted, and have to scramble around. If the sales person doesnt turn in the paperwork, or if the move coordinator quits, is fired, on vacation, whatever, and does not give the paperwork to the dispatch dept, it can happen. If I knew the shippers last name, I could look thru the electronic file and might be able to determine what happened, it's all date stamped, in the United system.

Did it come in on price and within the quote?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:21 am

ArchieWhite wrote:. . . sounds like to me, just poor management of the sales coordination department.

You know, I really feel that at some point a moving company has to take responsibility for its actions. As this customer says, she paid good money to WOW for this move, thinking that they were reputable. It was highly irresponsible for WOW to apparently not have had a "succession" plan when the customer service people Mia and Elizabeth left the company. Paperwork in process should have been turned over to someone else to protect customers from this kind of serious service failure.

Note that the customer praises the good Mayflower driver from CT (wish I knew his name to give him credit) but concludes:
mnebaum wrote:Our concern all along had been that it would be difficult to predict what we were going to get if we used a van line to move, because there are so many other parties involved. We would have preferred to use a smaller mover who was experience with long distance moves. We believe the service would have been better then using a large conglomerate.

I would have to agree. If people use a van line agent for a long-distance move, responsibility is often divided and things can slip through the cracks. If people look at the reviews of the independent company Moovers Inc. (for example), they will not find incidents like this reported. The owners are better able to remain on top of the situation.
mnebaum wrote:. . . unfortunately, most of our furniture was scratched or dented and there is even a corner broken off a large wooden double dresser. . . . We know that there is a potential for breakage and damage in a large, long distance move such as ours, and we expected certain minor damages within reason, but we feel that the damage could have been minimized if our driver had hired skilled workers who are experienced with moving furniture. It seemed to us that the helper or helpers on this move were not skilled movers, but, day laborers. I was horrified to see how some of our furniture was handled. It was especially hard to watch because all of our furniture is fairly new and had never been moved, except for the purchase delivery.

The helper or helpers probably WERE day laborers. Although this is not uncommon in the moving industry today, it does raise the question of how much better a large van line agent is than a freight company like Broadway Express that charges much less and offers air-ride trailers plus the possibility of hiring the driver to help load and unload.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 am

Diane, I know you are in academia, and thus insulated from the real world of dealing with people, but there have been times when a person has been let go, perhaps under bad circumstances, and they chose to sabotage the work area they were leaving. I'm not saying that happened in this situation, but it has happened.....people lose their job, they get even......

When one mover I know bought another mover I know, about 13 years ago, there was widespread sabotage and bad karma, from the employees that lost their job, and human nature is to 'get even' if you feel you have been wronged.

And those movers that you worship are not perfect either, stop saying that.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:53 am

Archie, I am perfectly aware that employees may have tried to sabotage the system, but to be cautious from a legal standpoint I didn't want to suggest that openly. Whatever the case, it was WOW's responsibility to ensure that the customer was not inconvenienced by any possible attempts at sabotage. As long-time moving professionals, WOW's owners must have known (like you) that this was a distinct possibility.

As for Moovers, the reviews speak for themselves. Yes, they make mistakes, but they bend over backward to satisfy the customer when "things happen" and I think that's why there are no significant bad reviews of the company.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:07 am

well, anyway, the dates shown in the system show loading on 10/31 or 11/1, so without seeing what the customer signed, that might change the situation.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 am

I agree that that may change the situation. Does the paperwork show the driver's name? I would like to give him credit.

Return to “Open Community”