*Fort Myers, FL to Greenville, SC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rhendzel

*Fort Myers, FL to Greenville, SC

Postby rhendzel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:39 am

I need help in selecting my mover. I hope to get soem comments either good or bad about who to select and who not to select.

Thank You....

Ray Hendzel

farrah7031

Re: Fort Myers, FL to Greenville, SC

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:38 am

How much stuff do you have?

Here's a list of reviews in your area:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7591#57591

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:13 am

Ray,

Why dont you find some movers and then we can direct you from there as to who is a good company, a so so company or a company to avoid.

Start by looking for agents that represent United, Atlas, Allied, North American, Bekins, or Graebel.

I would limit your search to three agents, maybe 4 if your a glutton for punishment. You can find them in your phone book.

Have them come to your home for an in home survey and quote. Be sure everyone leaves a copy of the inventory they did with you.

Then come back and let us know what you found.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

rhendzel

Postby rhendzel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Thank You Michael.......will do.

rhendzel

Postby rhendzel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi Michael,

To date I have interviewed three movers and have not heard back from three others.

I interviewed...Graebel, Atlas and Bekins. Prices to date are in no particular order other than lowers to highest $8,100.00, $8,600.00 and $8,700.00. That is for a full service packing with out insurance. I;bb be taking out full insurance for $100,000.00. I also have a car that I will be taking if I can not sell it....quotes prices from $850.00 to $1,300.00.

One company is doing more custom on site crateing that the other two. One company does not do on site creating but bring the crates already made upake up.

Any suggestions from what I have gatheres so far.

Thank You..........Ray Hendzel

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:30 pm

Can you tell us which agents of those van lines you got estimates from? Did they give you an in home estimate?

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:31 pm

Price wise they all seem in order, so the next question is when your looking to move>? I know Bekins tariff wont be changing after the new year so you might want to check with Graebel and Atlas if moving in 08.

I also know the agent (SPS Moving) Bekins had in Ft Myers is no longer an agent and I believe Gates Moving is the agent servicing the area now?
Michael

rhendzel

Postby rhendzel » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:01 am

Thanks so far for the help. Our weight is about 12,500 pounds.

Graebel send their area rep-Don Pickard.

The agent for Benkins is GAtes Moving System.

The agent for Atlas is Suncoast Moving and Storage.

THank You Ray Hendzel

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:03 am

Suncoast was established in Ft. Myers in 1994 but represented Mayflower Transit until late 2006. They've been an active hauler in both van line environments and would most likely self haul your shipment to South Carolina under Atlas's interstate operating authority.

They are not a BBB member but have a conditional unsatisfactory rating on a small number of unresolved complaints under both Suncoast Moving and Atlas Suncoast.

Diane

Re: ***Fort Myers, FL to Greenville, SC

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Ray,

If you look at the reviews and comments on the Superlist for Florida-West Coast (see the link above) I think you will agree that Suncoast should be avoided. In my opinion, Robert Flinn (Allied) and J.W. Cole (Atlas) look good on that list, as well as a couple of others. If I were you I would go beyond the quotes you currently have. Also, I think it's possible that you could get a better price for moving your car, and also better service, if you had it moved with an independent company rather than a van line agent. I suggest that you contact the three companies that we endorse on this website (see Home Page) to see what they say. My advice would be to start with ProStar. If your car is high-value, also contact DeMoise in SC at www.demoise.com for a quote.

Michael

Re: *Fort Myers, FL to Greenville, SC

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Out of curiosity Diane, why do you think he would get better service if another carrier handled the car as opposed to the carrier, if they can handle it???
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:57 pm

I always say that because of the possibility (note that I said "I think it's possible") that the moving company would simply turn the car move over to a broker anyway rather than moving the car itself in the same van with the household goods. It doesn't hurt for him to investigate other options for this relatively short-distance move. He should ask each company whether (a) it's planning to self-haul his shipment using its own truck and driver and (b) whether the car will go on the same truck with the household goods. If the car goes on the same truck with the household goods they would have to use a tractor-trailer, obviously.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:14 pm

It doesnt answer the question as to why you think he would get better service.

In any case I agree, ask the agents if they put the car in the trailer, whether they self haul it or not, and your car goes with your HHG or if they broker it out to a car carrier they use. If brokered out who do they use? Usually when they broker it out to a carrier its to a company they utilize all the time. Not some company they find over the internet that they have not established a working business relationship with.

And I do agree it doesnt hurt to call a few car carriers for quotes also.
Michael

rhendzel

Postby rhendzel » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Dear Michael and Diana,

Thank you both for you imput to date. Let me clear up an issue or two.

The three movers that I interviewed gave me a price seperate foer the overall moving cost. They each assured me that if I take my car it will be in the same truck that all my furniture will be placed. I intend to attempt to sell one of my cars before we leave and if I can do that the auto transport is a non-issue.

I filled out a questioneer on line for movers and received 5 replys. I contacted each and they were brokers not movers. I thanked each for replying and advised them that I only will deal directly with movers.

Over the weekend I sent E-mails to three additio0nal movers but have not heard back from any of them.

As of this time I have eliminated Atlas with my choice being between Beacon and Graebel. Both made a very professional presentation and the dollar differance was minimal. The Graebel rep recommended 3 more custom built containers that the Beacon rep which impressed me and the custom built containers was a part of the price.

Thank you both.Ray Hendzel

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Hey Ray, check your private messages.

Return to “Open Community”