*Help please! Move from MN (and PA) to OH!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sleeplesstink

*Help please! Move from MN (and PA) to OH!!

Postby sleeplesstink » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi! I am moving in two weeks and have gotten estimates from three local moving companies in MN. One is from AceWorldWide (Atlas agent), ActionMoving Services (Atlas agent), and Berger Transfer and Storage (Allied agent). The estimate I received from Allied is somewhat more costlier than the Atlas estimates (and in addition, the weight estimated by Allied is less too!). I've checked all three companies via the BBB and all seem to be good. The Ace World Wide estimate is somewhat slightly LESS (about $374 less) than Action Moving and they are willing to do a free Full Value protection as well. What do you experience guys think about this? Have you heard of any of these companies and other people's experiences? This is my first time for moving interstate and I'm worried and anxious of course! I'm so glad for this site and would appreciate any help and advice you can offer me.
Additionally, I have another move from PA to OH to be done that will be handling some household goods I have in storage over there, and the local agents I contacted here notified a local company (and agents) in PA to do the estimate. One company is called Weleski Transfer...and according to the Atlas agent here, they are also an Atlas agent in that area of the country. Has anyone heard of Weleski Transfer Inc. out of PA? Another moving company is Central Van and Storage (an allied agent) in PA. Again, the Allied (Central Van and Storage) estimate was costlier compared to Atlas (Weleski Transfer) estimate. Has anyone heard of these two companies in PA or have had any experiences with them? Thank you for any advice you can offer me!!! I would gladly give feedback after the moving is done to this site after I am done with the moves for future reference.

Rick

Re: Help please! Move from MN to OH!!

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:18 pm

All of the company’s you’ve contacted in both Minnesota and Pennsylvania are established, tenured, quality agents with their respective national van lines. Each will give you a good move but Weleski is probably your best bet for your second move. They have offices in both PA and OH and a pretty good track record. http://www.weleskitransfer.com/awards.htm

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm

You have done a very good job picking very respected van line agents. Go with you gut on this one, so happy to hear a moving company with a name like A to Z Affordable Movers wasn't considered. (Disclaimer: I don't know if there even is a moving company with that name, just pointing out that alot of companies with names like that are the scammers)
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

sleeplesstink

Postby sleeplesstink » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Thank you for your responses...I have chosen to go with Action Moving in MN and Weleski Transfer in PA. I'll let you know about my experiences with them. Do you have any advice to offer with regards to the bill of lading? I will be having full value protection insurance with each one with no deductible. Because my items in PA are in a storage facility, the agent told me that they cannot give me a binding estimate, but rather only a non-binding one. Because I cannot be there for the weighing of my items, do you have any suggestions as to what I can do...I will have a family member present there. How does the weighing work anyhow? I intend to do a binding not to exceed for my goods in MN. Any suggestions and advice would be great for a greenhorn like myself. Thank you very much!!

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:02 pm

These are all good questions and one's we could all answer, but personally I think they are best answered by your sales person. Establish that rapport with him and your coordinator. Ask them the questions you just asked here. In the end its best you dont get he said she said, but get it straight from them.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Although it's a carrier requirement under federal and most state regulations, the majority (99.5%) of the consumers that move inter- or intrastate never exercise their option to view their weighings at origin. More reweighs are witnessed at destination especially when the charges are in dispute.

Atlas provides an excellent, comprehensive PDF document for their customers that includes "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" and "Terms and Conditions of the Bill of Lading" that you can view here. http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/importan ... -12-06.pdf

Future visitors will appreciate your reviews when both moves are completed.

sleeplesstink

Re: *Help please! Move from MN (and PA) to OH!!

Postby sleeplesstink » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Just out of curiosity...when you have a "binding estimate"....will it say on the bill of lading "Total Binding charges" with the cost. I signed the Assured Price Protection Estimate (supposedly the bill of lading according to my agent) from my atlas agent and it illustrated information of the packing date, loading date, delivery date, and packing details...and on the order for service page, there is a check mark on "binding on atlas" with the binding charges. Is this then a BINDING estimate...or is it still a non-binding estimate? The total document is about 6 pages long which details the charges, order for service, and additional services price list. Orginally, when he had given the estimate to me, it was clearly non-binding...but I see that I've signed as well as he signed what appears to be a binding one, which is great (because I would rather it be binding, although I understand that if my things come below the weight, it's a chance I take because I'll be paying more). If this is truly a binding estimate that was signed, can I uphold it since both our signatures are on it?

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:44 pm

I suspect the answer is yes, but since I'm not real familiar with the format of the Atlas Estimate/Order for Service, I think you need to discuss your concerns and confirm the information with your salesperson. That will erase any doubt.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 am

APP is Atlas' not to exceed. When you sign the bill of lading it will say Binding but then there is a box below the inscription/description that has APP next to it that should be checked. In your case if you had a APP then it is a not to exceed.
Michael

sleeplesstink

Postby sleeplesstink » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Michael, with regards to your statement
"When you sign the bill of lading it will say Binding but then there is a box below the inscription/description that has APP next to it that should be checked"
I thought that the assured price protection estimate (which is the heading on the top left hand corner) is my bill of lading...is it not? I asked the agent if this entire document (six pages long) was the bill of lading and he said yes. There is no box below with the inscription/description that has APP next to it on the Assured Price Protection Estimate page. I only thing I see is that there is a line that says "total binding charges" with the amount to the right and the weight next to it. There is another page with the heading "Order of Service" on the top left hand corner that has a check box (which is checked) for "binding on Atlas. Below that paragraph to the right hand lower corner, there is a box that says "APP applies" and that box is checked as well. Does that mean then, that I have a binding estimate NOT TO EXCEED?? If my weight comes below the estimate, I will pay less and if the weight is more, I'm not obligated to pay more, right? Is the Order for Service page, then my bill of lading? Also, if this is true that the agent and I have both signed a BINDING not to exceed estimate, can I uphold it (due to their mistake and not mine). I appreciate your help and expertise. Thank you!

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:58 pm

A customer normally doesn't see the bill of lading until the driver arrives with it. Occasionally the packing crew might bring it with them or it may be sent to the owners address if the home is in rural area.

The terms and conditions shown on the bill of lading are supposed to be the same as those outlined and approved on the estimate/order for service. If it's their mistake, they have to live with it. It would probably be best to ask, though, to avoid any problems on load day.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:13 pm

You have the order for service from the sounds of it, not the Bill of Lading the driver brings out.

The quote should stipulate not to exceed or Assured Price Protection. If it does not state that anywhere on the paperwork and just states BINDING then you have a BINDING. If it states, BINDING NOT TO EXCEED, then the estimate is compared to the actuals and the lesser of the two is what you pay.

People automatically think that because they have less weight the cost should be less. Normally this is true, but if you had more packing or additional services performed, then just cause your weight went down doesnt mean your cost did.

No where on a quote does it state if you have less weight your cost will be less.

It says it takes your quote and compares it to the actual cost and services of the move and the lesser of the two is what you pay.
Michael

sleeplesstink

Postby sleeplesstink » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Rick, I agree with what you said: that if it is their mistake, they have to live with it.
Michael, please clarify this for me. You said in your response:
"You have the order for service from the sounds of it, not the Bill of Lading the driver brings out. ..The quote should stipulate not to exceed or Assured Price Protection. If it does not state that anywhere on the paperwork and just states BINDING then you have a BINDING. If it states, BINDING NOT TO EXCEED, then the estimate is compared to the actuals and the lesser of the two is what you pay."
So, what I have is NOT the Bill of Lading since the driver has not come to pick up the goods yet...what use is the paperwork that I signed? I will not be available that day for the pickup of the goods, but I will have someone in the family there. No where on the paperwork does is say "Not to Exceed"....on the Order for Service page here is what is says:
"Binding on Atlas (There is a check mark on this box, with the following paragraph.) The charges shown are the charges that will be assessed for the services identified in the estimate. At time of delivery, you may not be required to pay more than the total estimated binding charges plus: 110% of the estimated non-binding charges, whcih include SIT, Valuation and Advanced Charges; charges for additional services required due to impracticable operations, as defined in Atlas' tarrif (which include destination shuttle service), subject to a maximum of 15% of all other charges due at delivery. You will be billed for any balance in excess of either the 110% or the 15% after delivery and you are obligated to pay the balance. " (There is a check mark on the box APP APPLIES that follows this paragraph). Below this paragraph, it states below the following: "Binding estimate valid for only 60 days from date of customer's signature."
So, is this then a BINDING ESTIMATE?? Or is this a NON-BINDING estimate? It reads to me as though it is a binding estimate and there is a check mark on the box APP APPLIES (which would make me believe this is assured price protection).
You also said:
"People automatically think that because they have less weight the cost should be less. Normally this is true, but if you had more packing or additional services performed, then just cause your weight went down doesnt mean your cost did. "
So, if my weight was less, are you saying that I would still be paying the same (assuming no additional packing or services needed)? And if my weight is more, but there was no extra packing or additional services required (ie. shuttle service, stops, storage, etc..) then I would just pay that amount that is quoted for the total charges, right? Please clarify what you can. I know it may be redundant, but just want to make sure. Thank you!!

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:46 pm

The Order for Service obligates the mover to move you at the rates, discounts and dates you signed for. It still does not obligate the shipper (you) to move with the van line or agent. You could cancel on the day of the move and you are not out any money.

The Bill of Lading is the actual contract the driver brings out. The most important thing on the Bill of Lading is the shipper correctly selecting the valuation that is on the order for service. We have seen numerous times here where the order for service states full coverage but on the Bill of Lading the customer signs for >60/lb.

If the APP is marked (ASSURED PRICE PROTECTION) then you have a not to exceed quote.

Ok final cost. Your quote is compared to what your actuals were. Actuals include actual weight, actual packing, actual services taken to complete your move.

So lets say you have a quote for 5000 pounds and packing of 5 dish, 7 small, 10, medium, 7 large, 2 queen, 5 mirror cartons and full value for $20,000 with $0 deductible. That cost is say $3500.

Your actuals come in at 4800 pounds, packed 10 dish, 10 small, 12 medium, 8 large, 2 queen, 6 mirror cartons, with full value still at $20,000. And that final cost comes in at $3625.

In this case your paying the not to exceed (APP) of $3500.

Now opposite of the above, your weight comes in at 5200, pack 3 dish, 3 medium, 1 large, 2 queen and 2 mirror cartons and your selected full
value and your cost is $3350, then you would pay the $3350.

Hope that clears it up. If anyone else wishes to jump in please do so if I didnt mention something?
Michael

sleeplesstink

Postby sleeplesstink » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Thank you Michael for clarifying things...basically, I'm only obligated to pay MORE IF I need them to pack more stuff or have extra services. What if I have a greater weight and they also pack more things? Do I pay extra for the greater weight or do I just pay extra for packing more things? For example, if they estimated 5,000 pounds (with your previous example) and packing 5 dish, 7 small, 10 medium, 7 large, 2 queen, 5 mirror cartons....and it turned out to be 6,000 pounds with 7 dish, 10 small, 15 medium, 8 large, 2 queen, and 8 mirror cartons...do I pay more for the weight or just the packing? Also, by packing do you mean what they (the movers) actually had to pack themselves or just what was taken (already packed by myself) onto the truck? I appreciate your patience...thanks again.

Return to “Open Community”