NYC to Nashville!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ArchieWhite

Re: NYC to Nashville!

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:41 pm

A suggestion might be to reverse the roles, tell them you will use them, if they can get it there 7-10 days.....then if they agree, you have a deal.

CherDMB

Postby CherDMB » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:55 pm

ArchieWhite wrote:A suggestion might be to reverse the roles, tell them you will use them, if they can get it there 7-10 days.....then if they agree, you have a deal.

That is the game I am playing now! I said a window of 2-14 days is unacceptable, but if he could get it in writing that the window could be changes to 7-10 days, I'd be more willing to agree. I am expecting an answer on that tomorrow. I cannot live on an air matress for 2 weeks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:23 pm

University Van Lines will not be actually moving you. It will be a truck and driver from the van line. That's why the delivery spread is so long - University will not have any control over it. Try Moovers. If they can move you, they will probably be able to pin down the delivery spread a little bit better since they will control your move from start to finish.

An APP (Assured Price Protection) quote in the Atlas system is the same as a GNTE. You will not pay more than that amount unless additional services are needed such as storage or a shuttle in Nashville. Keep in mind that University often estimates high and people end up paying less after the truck is weighed.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:19 am

Dianne, how could you possibly know that University will not haul? And even if they don't, if their carrier accepts the dates that the shipper and the booker agree on, then the carrier is obligated to meet those dates, same as if it was a self haul. I think you may be assuming a little more than may be proper, unless you called University and talked to their long distance dispatcher.

CherDMB

Postby CherDMB » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:31 pm

I wanted to report back on my move.
I decided to go with Dahill Mayflower. Chris Blank the salesman was really nice and personable. He even stood on a dish box, told me how important they were, and literally made me repack all my dishes, pictures, etc into dish boxes for safety!
The estimate came in around $3400. I paid $3150 for 3700 lbs.
The actual moving company that showed up was Ed Schmidt Mayflower which made me hestitant but the crew was so helpful and nice, I didn't regret questioning things.
In NYC the movers came on time, were extremely nice and treated my belongings with a lot of care. It took about 3 hrs without a hitch.
In Nashville I received my stuff in 8 days from pickup which was within contract. Nothing was missing or damaged beyond minor scuffs that are almost unavoidable. The whole process took 2 hrs.
Mayflower even called me to see how everything went a week later!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Thats how the system works, when all the stars are in perfect alignment,and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Diane

Re: **NYC to Nashville!

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks so much for this positive review, really of both companies and the van line as well.

Incidentally, I got a call from University Van Lines just now informing me that I was mistaken that that they would not self-haul a load to Nashville. The person told me that everything depends on the circumstances. If a load was large enough (i.e. not just 2000-5000 pounds like this one), and especially if it was a full-pack, and if they could book other loads around it, then YES, they would self-haul. I stand corrected.

I've been told, however, that Dahill won't self-haul anything more than 500 miles except to Florida and points in between.

Incidentally, in researching Ed Schmidt Mayflower I came across a horrible review of them on Epinions - http://www99.epinions.com/content_317921726084
I guess you were lucky. So much depends on the individual driver!

Return to “Open Community”