Small Move From Brooklyn to Berkeley

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tuxmo

Small Move From Brooklyn to Berkeley

Postby tuxmo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:23 pm

I am looking to find a compromise between an affordable and (mostly) full-service coast-to-coast move. We are moving the contents of a 1-bedroom apartment, so the amount of furniture (probably 5 pieces) means we cannot use one of the packaging services like Shipsmart or Navis.

I am looking for advice on how people--particularly those in cities w/ little parking space--were able to use services like ABF or Pack and Ride. ABF has the lowest price (@ $2000 for one cube). My questions are:

For anyone who did this--how much specifically fit into one cube?
Were you able to park and pack the cube on your block?
Looking back, would you have gone with a full-service company?

(Comparitively, Broadway Express is $2349 and that includes staff to move the boxes, though the concern is will a 40ft truck fit on the block?)

Thanks! Jeremy

tuxmo

Re: Small Move From Brooklyn to Berkeley

Postby tuxmo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Me again. I just found California-New York Express and their SAFERSYS profile checks out. Their website is http://www.moveeast.com

The people I spoke with were pleasant, and we have scheduled an in-home estimate. The phone quote for a 1BR apt. was $1300-$1600! That's an excellent rate--and unlike ABF or Pack and Ride, this includes personell to load and unload the truck. The price sounds almost too good to be true (other quotes ranged from $2000-$4000), but I'm told it's because they own their equipment and don't sub out.

We won't know the exact cost until the in-home estimate after the holidays. I'll try to post back for anyone who might be interested. If any of you have used this company, please post.

This is a great website. Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Those costs are all too good to be true.

tuxmo

Postby tuxmo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:17 am

Those costs are all too good to be true.

Which ones? The highest quote I got was from Moovers (for $3900) and the rep said he'd send an email, but didn't. The lowest quote was CA-NY. I also got quotes from ABF (not sure we have a place to put the Relo-Cube) and Broadway Express. Broadway Express talked me out of using them. They said that their 40ft trucks wouldn't fit on either city's streets and to try one of the smaller companies instead. However, their quote was not so bad at $2300. Could I call and convince them otherwise? Are they really a better company or just an affiliate of this site?

I don't see any companies on the NY list that are free of a negative review. All-Star Moving seems to come the closest. And CA-NY has a good review. It makes sense that more folks with negative experiences would post on this site while those with good experiences just move on.

What do you do if you're too big (1BR apt.) for the boxing movers and the big guys tell you you're too small? And from reading reviews here, the independent movers hire day laborers but the major companies sub out their drivers?

Also, is it normal or not for companies to charge some or all in advance for interstate moves?

CA-NY does an in-home estimate with a 90-day binding guarantee. They use 22 foot trucks. I am fairly sure they want a deposit on credit card. Like someone said, credit cards offer a degree of protection. As does renter's insurance.

This is my girlfriend's stuff and I want to do the right thing though. I called companies all day. I am open to calling other recommended coast-to-coast full small service movers. Is CA-NY a 'scam' mover or have posters had varying degrees of service? I mean there is a difference.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:19 am

Broadway Express actually uses 53-foot trailers and then you have to add the length of the cab to that, so you are looking at around 70 feet total length. It's a hassle for them, or any other company with similar-length tractor-trailers, to get into New York City, which is why they add a $400 surcharge on to all such moves. It covers the cost of a shuttle and any tickets the driver may get, which cost $115 each. Berkeley can also be a problem to access. I don't think BE is the best choice for your move. Also, they don't provide labor; you would have to add that cost on to the basic quote.

In my opinion, an ABF ReloCube or two would be your safest and most economical choice. Each cube holds about 2000 pounds or a small studio. Unless the 1BR is very small, I think you would need two cubes. (ABF will deliver two cubes and if you don't use one, there is no penalty.) You can go on the ABF review thread to see photos and there is an estimating tool on the www.upack.com website. ABF should be able to tell you whether the cubes can be delivered to your particular streets in Brooklyn and Berkeley. In Brooklyn I believe that you are allowed four hours to load the cube. In NY, you can hire Shea Moving Corp. to help you load, and in Berkeley, Moovers or Delancey Street can probably help you unload if necessary.

Any full-service company that quotes less than a freight company is suspect. Also, CNYX would not use a 22-foot trailer to transport your items cross-country. A tractor-trailer would have to be used for efficiency. That means that your goods would be transferred from the small truck to a larger truck (almost certainly with storage in a warehouse involved as well), and transfers increase the possibility of damage and delay even when a company is completely reputable.

Credit cards add a measure of protection if a dubious company simply doesn't show up, but otherwise they may not be much help, for example if the service is performed but there is damage, overcharge, or delay. Renters' insurance will not cover the things that are most likely to happen in a move, such as breakage, dents, and scratches.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:12 am

Truck drivers with 80 ft long trucks hate direct residential pick up or deliveries in NYC.....The best way to do it is with a small truck, but small trucks don't go all the way from NY to CA so they have to transfer it to a big truck, at the local terminal ( terminals are big rig friendly, while city streets are not) so you should book it with a van line and let them use a small truck for pickup and then send it on the road in a big truck...call United, Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, North American, Bekins, Arpin, Greabal or Wheaton for a quote. They will come out and give you a firm price, or a not to exceed, both are fine.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:14 am

tuxmo, here is the problem with the CA-NY quote: It costs more than $1600 in FUEL to get from Brooklyn to Berkeley. The fuel cost from NY-CA at this point in time is around $1800. Common sense should indicate if the fuel costs are that high to get you from NY to CA, quoting you anything below the fuel costs is not logical. If you take a look at the stories of those who were scammed, you'll find they were all low-balled and the cost turned out to be much higher. This is a scam they didn't invent - this is the classic moving scam perpetrated by small time movers.

If it costs them $1800 in fuel to perform your move, I guarantee you that you are being low-balled and once they have your stuff - the scam starts up. Their other reasons (own their own equipment and don't sub out their labor) make no sense because it costs less to sub out labor and all full-service moving companies own their own equipment.

The ABF quote is going to be cheaper than the others because you do all the packing and loading yourself and if you bring labor to help, you're responsible to pay them. If it costs $2300-$2400 to get your items from NY-CA, most of that covers the fuel. The ABF quote should be your basline quote - in other words, anyone who quotes you below that, should be tossed from consideration because the quote means they can't cover the fuel costs. Now, if you hire labor - the overall cost will increase by the amount of labor hired, but if you're talking a 1BR apt., then it isn't much in labor with a couple of guys.

It's not a matter of whether the site receives a referral fee or not. This is a matter of common sense...... No business stays in business for long if they offer a service for an amount LESS than the cost to perform that service, whether they happen to be movers, or the local hardware store.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:20 am

It's gotten to where the honest business person doesn't have much of a chance anymore, between the onerous regulations on one side, and the crooks who steal our customers and reputations on the other.

tuxmo

Postby tuxmo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Archie, of those national van lines--is there one that stands out as being better?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Tux, I'm sure you've heard the old football saying," On any given day, so and so can beat anybody" Same with moving....all of the ones I've named are capable of doing a perfect job, or capable of having problems. There are so many facets to a move that if any one person makes a mistake, from the estimators who come to your home, to the truck loaders, to the dispatchers, etc things can happen. That said, I lean towards United Van Lines and Mayflower....they are both owned by the same folks, as being the top. I know others will disagree with me, and thats fine, MF and United are not perfect, trust me, but day in and day out, they have proven themselves.

tuxmo

Postby tuxmo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:15 pm

I just called Mayflower and was given the names of 'agents' in the area (Clancy-Cullen and Lincoln Storage). Apparently these are authorized by Mayflower/United Van Lines. Is this what you meant though? I'm back to wondering if either of these would necessarily be better than CA-NY?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Yeah, I know Clancy Cullen real well, they have been around forever, give them a try.

tuxmo

Postby tuxmo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Clancy Cullen just said they only do commercial. They gave me the number for Hall United. So now I'm twice removed from Mayflower in the sense that the agent Mayflower referred me to is referring me to another agent. Any knowledge of Hall United? And now that I'm seemingly even further from the original recommendation (Mayflower), I guess I continue to wonder if these folks are any better than CA-NY?

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:53 pm

The answer to your question is that any of the major movers would be better than CA-NY....PERIOD. The larger van lines have far more resources, as evidenced by the referral to Hall, than someone who is going to put your stuff in a 22' straight truck, without air-ride suspension, and spending more in fuel than the cost of your move.

I would not even consider CA-NY Express for your move. IMO, it's a scam waiting to happen.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Return to “Open Community”