Question on NJ local quotes

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Mrpeabody

Question on NJ local quotes

Postby Mrpeabody » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Hello,

Newbie here...

I'm doing a 2-br. apartment local move within northern NJ (about 10 miles away) and was given several quotes from supposedly reputable movers of anywhere from $160 - $180 per hour or more, for 8 HOURS! We don't have nearly that many things for them to move, since we're doing much of it ourselves.

Is that hourly rate right? And does 8 hrs. sound right for a 2-br apartment? Last time I moved was 5 years ago, and it was about half that price to move the same apt. across town, and half the time they quoted me here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MrPeabody

Diane

Re: Question on NJ local quotes

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi - in your area, $160/hour would be about average for 4 workers plus a truck. I agree that 8 hours sounds high but maybe they are just giving you an upper limit of what it could cost and are quoting high to protect themselves. You might want to call Shea Moving at www.sheamoving.com in Queens because they have done local moves for people for reasonable cost in the past, even though they are in NYC and you are in NJ. Peers Moving in Dover, NJ, is another one with good reviews. Check out the Superlist linked to below my name and scroll down to "New Jersey" and "New York City" to see what has been said here about movers in your area.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Have you gotten in home estimates or just phone quotes? Which companies are you looking at? How many men are they saying for $160-180/hour?

Mrpeabody

Postby Mrpeabody » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks for the fast replies!

The ones I've spoken to were companies from the Superlist that got decent reviews. They were in-home estimates for 4 movers/1 truck. I'm hoping it's an over-estimate because I can't imagine this would be 8 hours' time. But I'll try these two you mentioned.

Mrpeabody

Postby Mrpeabody » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Hello again...

Just to update, I ended up going with Galil Movers in Bayonne. They fell within the range everyone else quoted, but the guys that did the move were a great team, and were careful and efficient, yet laid back. And absolutely nothing was broken! All charges and fees were given up front, and I was more than pleased with the job they did. They also did the entire job in less time than they estimated, and were exceptionally patient while we dealt with crazy building management in both places. I will definitely use them again in future, since they're the first moving company that hasn't tried to wring more money out of me for no reason.

Return to “Open Community”