**Any experience with O'Neill Storage & Transfer in Portland?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
well_er

**Any experience with O'Neill Storage & Transfer in Portland?

Postby well_er » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi there,

I am looking to move from Portland to Seattle. I had 2 movers (one of them O'Neill Storage w/ Allied Van Lines) give me an in-home estimate.
O'Neill's estimate included some interesting charges like "INS surcharge" for $60 and a "fuel surcharge" of $151.

The other company (Chipman) did not have these, however, they charge for a minimum weight of 8000 lbs. Although I liked the estimator (both estimators were professional) from Chipman better, unfortunately, my move is only 6500 lbs (I do not want to pay extra for the sake of using Chipman).

I was hoping someone had experience using O'Neill. If so, I would greatly appreciate your comments. Here is the info I have on O'Neill.

O'Neill Transfer & Storage Co. Inc
4927 NW Front Ave
Portland, OR 97210
Claim to be in biz since 1920
U.S DOT # 076235 (Allied or O'Neill?)
Tel: 503.226.3055

Thanks

farrah7031

Re: Any experience with O'Neill Storage & Transfer in Portland?

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:39 pm

There hasn't been any mention of O'Neil here. They've only had 4 complaints at the BBB, so that's good.

What type of quotes did you get from each mover? Were they both Guaranteed Not To Exceed - where your price is binding, meaning it can't go higher, but if you have less than the estimated weight, your price will go down?

well_er

Postby well_er » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I believe both were 'Guaranteed not to exceed" quotes, however, I do not believe the price will go down either.

O'Neill said they will not weigh the truck, so no chance of price going down (also said price will not go up). They quoted $2500 for 6300 lbs (inc insurance).

Chipman will weigh the truck, but does not matter to me as the min weight is 8000 lbs (I am well below this). Chipman quoted $3330 for 8000 lbs (inc insurance).

O'Neill did mention the 4 complaints on BBB, out of which 3 are resolved. Not bad for a company that does a lot of moves (I am guessing 100+) per year.

O'Neill is good from a $$ point of view, but before I signed them on, I was hoping for some feedback from this site.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:42 pm

I think O'Neill will probably be adequate, although Chipman has a good name quality-wise. You might try calling the Chipman rep and asking whether there is any way the price could be lowered, say to $3000. The insurance and fuel charges listed on the O'Neill estimate are legitimate. The "insurance" charge is not the same as a valuation charge, however. You would have to pay extra for valuation coverage above 60 cents a pound.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:16 pm

My experience working with O'Neil as an origin agent or destination agent on my bookings have been good. Obviously, I also represent Allied Van Lines. The Chipmen quote probably includes an Insurance Related Surcharge and a Fuel Surcharge. They may just not be itemized. The price you got from O'Neil is a good number. If I were quoting a moving going that same distance, I'm guessing my charges would probably be more in line with the quote you got from Chipman. Bottom-line, I think you'll be working with a quality mover no matter which of the two companies you decide to use. Good luck with making your decision and the move.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks for your input, Charlie. I'm wondering why the Allied quote is so low. I guess it's possible that they have another load going that way and will combine them.

well_er

Postby well_er » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your valuable insight.

The quotes I mentioned do include an additional insurance (worth $50K) with a $0 deductible. This cost me $486.

If I do a pure $ per lb calculation, here is how they stack up:
1. O'Neill - quoted me $1800 for 6300 lbs which is about 28c per lb

2. Chipman quoted me $2691 for 8000 lbs, which is about 33c per lb.
Since Chipman did not itemize their calculation, I am assuming this includes the 2 surcharges (INS and fuel), worth $200. For apples-to-apples comparison, if I take these out, then Chipman comes to 31c per lb

Looks like these 2 are pretty close. O'Neill also said they would throw in some boxes. Chipman said they would too, but they also said they would charge for "special" boxes - like mattress boxes etc. These were worth $150! Chipman also had some ridiculous restrictions - example, a weekend move would cost me an additional $200 or so.

Hmm, I'll make a call into O'Neill to ask about these boxes etc and if all goes well, it is looking like O'Neill to me.

I will be back after the move with my feedback.

Happy Holidays everyone and thanks again!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:10 pm

You're welcome. Sounds as if O'Neill is operating a bit "leaner" than Chipman, or they have another load going your way, as I said.

You can't subtract the "insurance" (IRR) and fuel surcharges from Chipman's estimate because they are required to include those charges in the estimate. The only thing they could change is the discount level. For example, if they were giving you a 62% discount they could change it to 65% or something. That would only be if they really wanted the shipment.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:30 am

When are you looking to move? If its in 2008, then you may want to ask Chipman if the rates discussed are for 2008. We have been told here that Mayflower and United will not carry over thier 2007 rates given to their customers for 2008. In the past, wtih rate increases, companies have carried over the rates and cost to clients for 60 days if signed before the end of the year.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:42 am

I would agree with Diana that perhaps O'Neill has another job they are combining with your shipment to keep your cost down. Or, maybe you got a sales rep who hasn't figured out that the company should be making a profit. I always love the "free" cartons. I don't own the company I work for; however, I've never figured out how to include "free" cartons (new or used) on the estimate unless I'm collecting extra money somewhere else in the quote or taking the boxes out of the warehouse when no one is looking. Personally, I do charge for the cartons.

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:50 am

Last time I checked not to many sales people know what loads are happening and where they are going when they give a quote. I personally have never offered more of a discount because I had another load going that way. Hell I wouldnt know until I booked it or was about to book it and was asking operations if they could do something with the dates. Maybe something outside the delivery schedule. Generally I will tell customers we can meet their dates because we have another shipment going in that direction, but I dont offer them more of a discount. Hell I just offered them a priceless service with the dates, why lose more money??

So I never understand the coment "Maybe they had something else going with it". Dont most shipments have something else on the truck??? Unless of course they take up the whole truck themselves?? Which we know doesnt happen much in the COD world.

As far as boxes go, I only offer it if they bring it up or ask. And of course I only offer in that case "used" if we have them.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:15 am

I find most shipments which are required self-haul usually are the only shipment on the truck. It depends on the van line as to what is required to be hauled by ther booker and what will get covered by the system; however, I would assume this particular move is probably riding solo. I agree with Michael that most of the time I really don't know what else might be on the books that is for sure a self-haul. And even when I do, I'm always afraid one of the jobs will postpone or cancel so I'm careful about cutting the price on the basis that I can combine loads. In regard to boxes, with the labor invlolved "breaking down" and handling used cartons, it has always been my thought that, when everything is said and done, we probably have less money invested in new cartons.

oregal

Postby oregal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I know this post is old but I just had to say we had a terrible experience with O'Neill. They heavily dented a number of our appliences. They broke a chair. They packed a couple huge wardrobe boxes full of old lumber and we were charged. They were late arriving by a day. When they did arrive, they decided a shuttle was needed and couldn't come out until the next day. Keep in mind, when we moved from that house later, the new movers we utilized had no problem with their truck and our driveway. They suggested the last movers were just lazy and I think they were right. The O'Neill movers also left cigarette butts all over the yard. I was a military wife whose husband was deployed overseas and we feel they just took advantage of that situation. One of the guys moving for the company pulled me aside and said that the son of the owner had pretty much taken over and was really lazy and just didn't really care about service. That was apparent. We've utilized a number of moving companies because we do travel and this was the only nightmare experience we had. Avoid them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Packed lumber?!

oregal

Postby oregal » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Yes they packed lumber and one of the wardrobe boxes they used ended up in my bedroom on the second floor. When I discovered it, I had to haul the old lumber down the stairs myself (hubby was deployed). Of our numerous moves, this was the only move I would say was bad and just overall unprofessionally done.

Return to “Open Community”