Moving from NC to MA - John's Moving?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: Help: moving from NC to MA

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:11 pm

petrofamily,

You can try using a high-rated company from www.uShip.com but just a caution that most of the companies listed there are unlicensed and uninsured.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:31 pm

PEG,

The bigger agents and van lines offer more vans in which to move your goods, should cut offs come into play. They offer a better chance to be picked up directly and not APU'd (picked up and placed at stg facility until truck arrives). Generally larger agents and companies have more quality control checks and crews in place then smaller companies. The bigger companies have more choices, generally, when it comes to destination agents. The bigger companies and better agents will generally have the more qualified and properly trained employees.

With all that said it doesnt mean a small agent or van line or company cant do a good job.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ttop

Postby ttop » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:34 am

I am also moving from NC to MA. I am wondering which company you ended up using and what you though of them, pegjud?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:44 am

Hi - since pegjud was posting back in June, he/she probably won't see your question. However, you can try sending a Private Message by clicking on the "pm" button under one of his/her posts.

I've been impressed with the good reviews of Excel (Allied) on this website. See this post on the Superlist linked to below my name - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7104#77104
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

johnckret

Postby johnckret » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:27 am

:D Hello All! It may be a little late to be relevant however I'd like to clarify some of the inaccuracies/questions listed in this thread about my company, John's Moving & Storage.

John's Moving & Storage is a d/b/a name owned by Outstanding Service Corp. We've been in business since 1997 and I've personally been in the industry since 1981. I started the company with no truck and no money and it has since grown to a debt free, 10 truck operation with 13,000 sq. ft. of class A warehouse space. We perform nearly 1,000 local, long distance and international moves each year. We also perform Military moves out of Ft. Bragg and Seymour Johnson AFB. Our warehouse is military approved.

We have our own interstate operating authority and we are an agent for Stevens Van Lines. We decide (and inform the customer in advance) to do an interstate move utilizing our authority (read our men and equipment) or Stevens Authority based on the economics of each individual move. There is really no good reason for me to involve the van line if the move is 10,000# to Virginia. At the same time, in order to competitively move someone with 2,500# to Seattle I will have Stevens handle it and consolidate it with other moves on the same truck.

Kretschmer Enterprises, LLC is not a moving company and performs no moving services. It is merely a truck leasing company that I own. It owns all of the trucks and trailers utilized by John's Moving & Storage.

Neither company has any long or short term debt. All assets are free and clear. The only long term financial commitment is the lease on our warehouse.

We perform pre-hire background checks and drug testing on all applicants and our random drug testing is managed by a third party company and ALL employees are included in the pool. Unlike many movers, our employees (we don't use contractors) are paid overtime and have 80% company paid health insurance, paid holidays and paid vacations. I want this to be a good place to work!

We cater to the upper end of the market. Of course, this is a mature industry and we have to be competitive but we find our typical customer is someone that is willing to pay a little more to receive quality service. (If you hired the cheapest mover last time and had a bad experience, why will it be any different if you do the same thing this time?) We've never advertised in the Yellow Pages and most of our work is either referred to us or repeat customers.

I know this kind of reads like a commercial but it is all fact. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me directly at john@johnsmoving.com.

Thank you,

John Kretschmer
President
Outstanding Service Corp, d/b/a
John's Moving & Storage
Sometimes its expensive to be cheap!

Rick

Re: Moving from NC to MA - John's Moving?

Postby Rick » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the sandbox! You’re right. It’s a little suspicious that your post appears almost four months after the last entry. I suspect, however, that you’ve recently learned about this site from several customers who where referred here by a competitor in your market.

You’ve brought some interesting points to the playground. First, defining your origin and the size of your company in terms of the number of pieces of equipment you own and the number and type of customers your company service provides some appearance of credibility to potential customers. And explaining your corporate structure may help resolve any appearance of impropriety that’s sometimes found with illegitimate moving companies who frequently operate under several different names and constantly changing management. It’s interesting, though, the way that you explain your relationship with your national van line carrier and how John’s manages your customers’ relocations under the dual authorities. Sorta smacks of bait and switch, doesn’t it? It appears that you’re taking advantage of the customer’s trust when you decide which carrier to use, particularly if they contacted your office because of your carrier relationship. How frequently and what types of problems does this position create for a committed customer, your office and Stevens?

If you snoop around this site long enough you’ll find that most of the visitors with industry ties report that they use packing and labor contractors to service both their local and long distance customers. The fact that you operate with employees seems rare in today’s marketplace. Why’d you adopt that business model and what does it mean to a customer?

If you discount your van line relationship, how can your company sell your past performance results to potential customers who are comparing your quality to other national competitors in the market?

johnckret

Postby johnckret » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm not sure how or why posting 4 months after the last entry causes suspicion. I just found out about your site and did a search for my company name. Ideally, I would have responded 4 months ago while I still had a shot at the move in question.

My relationship with Stevens Van Lines is certainly unusual in this industry. I was independent with my own operating authority since about 1998 or 1999. Stevens had been courting me for several years because they did not have an agent in my town. I negotiated with them for this arrangement. Unlike many van line agents, I already had my MC# and knew the rules. Since most of my moves are within 500 miles I really didn't "need" a van line relationship. It has really turned out to be a win/win because I do have past customers and referrals where it is not economically feasible to perform their move competitively (such as 2500# to Seattle). This gives me another arrow in my quiver for these situations. I've found Stevens specifically to be a good match. I had a situation a few years ago where I thought the driver had bumped the weights. They jumped right on it and got a reweigh. They told me right from the start if they found he was cheating he would be terminated. As you know, any van line has its issues; its a though business, but I put a very high value on integrity and they certainly have proved themselves there.

There really are no "bait and switch" issues. I don't promote Stevens Van Lines in this market besides having a small logo on my promotional flier. We explain the relationship to the shipper and tell them how we are likely to handle it at the time of the estimate. Once we're back in the office we run a P & L on that move as a self-haul. If we called it wrong in the field, we let them know right away. The Order for Service that they sign is for the company that will be performing the work. Nothing is left to chance and they are never "surprised". I've been an agent for SVL for 3.5 years and there has never been any confusion or problems associated with this. In this market the consumer knows John's Moving & Storage and often has never even heard of SVL.

From a financial standpoint, a business model utilizing contractors is probably advantageous. You know what percentage you are paying out for any given services. Additionally, a company can more easily skirt FMCSA Hours of Service issues if they are paying on a non-hourly basis (there is not record of hours and drivers can cheat on their logs more easily as they don't have to match payroll records). Also, no one even thinks about overtime because there is no real focus on hours worked.

Although I am not specifically opposed to using contractors and have given long distance drivers the option to operate that way in the past, I'm really kind of old school in my thinking. As you know, we are exempt from overtime regulations but I still pay 1 1/2 for hours over 40. I want people to WANT to come to work after 40 hours. I give out turkeys at Thanksgiving an bonuses at Christmas (to both white and blue collar workers). I even helped my labor get organized and we have a group called "The Council". As a group, they have the authority to have someone terminated. Despite our best efforts, we all make a bad hire from time to time. If the Council comes to me and says "this guy isn't one of us" or "he's making us look bad" that guy won't need to set his alarm in the morning. You're part of the problem or part of the solution. For an individual that is performance based, this is a great place to work. I don't keep dead wood so the quality, morale and enthusiasm stay high. There's nothing worse for a driver than to have to carry two losers all day and try to keep them out of trouble. Most drivers don't want to babysit grown men.

To answer your final question, we have our customers fill out and evaluation after every move (they put it in a sealed envelope and sign their name across the seal before giving it to the driver. We have proprietary software that tracks every evaluation and the crew members on the move. I can look at each employee individually and see the average score in each of the seven areas for every move he's been on in the last 6 months. Performance is everything. They are required to maintain a 97% average. I can certainly provide a customer with dynamic statistical information related to customer satisfaction. Combine that with the fact that they were probably referred to us and we've got trust.
Sometimes its expensive to be cheap!

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:53 pm

He's a legit company Rick. Has helped in the past here in Raleigh with a particular mover who was scamming customers. The scammer was out of business (had an employee pull a gun on a basketball coach at NC A&T during a move) and came back into the industry under a different name, not properly licensed and so on. Anyway of course this guy talked himself into some business with the "to good to be true
prices. Goods never got delivered and shippers could not reach this company. Before you knew it he disappeared again. John came in and found the goods and took them back to his warehouse and held them for customer to come find and identify. At least thats my understanding I am sure John knows the real true inside story.

But in any case his company is not a scam company of any sorts. I have never met him personally and I have heard things from people that have used him, some not so good but more then not good. But I am sure the things I heard are the same things every mover, including our company goes through at times with employees.

But in any case, good company, good owner.
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks for the background, Michael. I looked up John's BBB report to add details about the company to the Superlist and I liked the fact that it has a Customer Service Contact posted:
Customer Service Contact

Mr. Frank Ferraro is the complaint contact person for this company and should be contacted at (919) 255-1330 before filing a complaint with the BBB.

It also has a "Quality Assurance Manager" listed, a Mr. Ray Tremblay.

So often, companies listed on the BBB give no clue about anything but the owner's name (if that). It's refreshing to see that this company is apparently serious about customer satisfaction.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Diane, actually the majority of the NC BBB reports have a primary contact person with the company that it says to contact before filing a complaint with the BBB. Must be a NC BBB thing.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:29 am

YEAH YEAH YEAH< ITS A CAROLINA THINGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Michael

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:23 am

Kind of like the way they use a mustard based sauce on barbequed pork.......different, and not too bad, but real bbq sauce is tomato based

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:55 am

Hey I agree with the whole sauce thing. Hell to them BBQ is just meat no sauce.
Michael

Return to “Open Community”